Sako .243 L579

Matt N.

I have a Sako L579 .243 heavy barrel in good condition and shoots sub moa but I don't have much interest in it. In fact the first load I tried shot sub moa so I put it in the safe and there it sat for two years. I figured the heck with it, sell it. So, I put it up for sale down at my local gun shop for $650. No takers. Lots of lowball offers and people wanting to take it out to shoot it, but no takers. So now I am thinking re-barrel it to something I am more interested in. But what? Thoughts?

Thanks.
Matt

I bought a really nice Sako A2 sporter in 243 for a little less than that a short while ago.

6mmBR is a nice cartridge.

What do you want to hunt or shoot with it?

Matt.....those older sako's are so sweet....bought mine in 66 or 67 and paid $127.95 for it....was also in 243 win but was the "forester" model....never could get it to group so i decided to re-barrel it....went with the 250 ack imp with tight neck (my smith was a BR shooter and all his reamers are tight neck)....given your action length look at the 308 family of cartridges.....260 rem would be a nice one....
just keep your original barrel and stock for possible later re-sale....i did both (i put a mc millan sako stock on the 250 AI)....those older sako's do increase in value.....have fun!

Why not keep it as it is, and SHOOT IT.

I have an adversion to taking apart a rifle that has nothing wrong with it.

Take some 'yotes with it and post some pics! Good Luck.

Running an Improved reamer into the existing barrel would be one inexpensive way to go.
Fast twist 22/250, 22/250AI, 308, or my choice, 6BR, although the BR can be problematic when it comes to feeding in a repeater. Either a 20 or 22 Dasher would be fun too.

It really all depends on what YOU like, but I agree with leaving it be. No flies on the 243.
Luck

Originally Posted By: SShooterZ[beeep] for that price I might just be interested!

That's a sweet gun. Any pics?

Yeah, I can't believe it has not sold! It is where I am. Typically around here people buy the new Savage/Stevens next to it. I will go get some pics Monday when the shop opens. It is in good condition.

Why not try some 55 gr ballistic tips in it? I get 4,000+ FPS out of mine. It'll duplicate or outrun a 220 Swift.

One of the most accurate bullets that I've shot out of my L579 243.

i bought one in 1968. i have shot 200+ coyotes with it; mule deer , whitetail and elk. it shot great groups with everything i put in it. with over 2000 rounds through it is ready for a new barrel . to this day i wish i had purchased the heavy barrel instead. can't wait for pics.

If that rifle is atleast 90% I could get that here or a little more even so your price is a good buy. Economy is still the pits it seems...you could'nt pick a better rifle to hunt with.

Originally Posted By: xmineratWhy not try some 55 gr ballistic tips in it? I get 4,000+ FPS out of mine. It'll duplicate or outrun a 220 Swift.

One of the most accurate bullets that I've shot out of my L579 243.

Acually the load I tried in it was some 65gr V-Maxs with Varget I had loaded for my Remington 700 SPS stainless .243. I didn't even adjust the C.O.L.. I just made sure they would be safe to shoot, then put 10 shot into an inch followed by five more shots to confirm, sighted in and in to the safe it went. As I recall I figured this load was doing about 3500fps. I have a 22-250 and the other 243 so really this one just sitting there.

Some previous owner put a Simms pad that doe not quite perfectly fit on it. I found and purchased a original buttplate, and never even bothered to install it.

Nice gun
smile.gif

It's a Sako for Christ sakes! keep it and shoot it! It can only go up in value. If your he11 bent on getting rid of it, take it to the big gun show there in Tulsa. Grizz

Back