870 express or mossberg 500

NewLife2626

I am looking for a multi use shotgun that can be converted to a slug gun,defense gun,turkey gun. I am wondering which of the two is going to be better quality I know the 870 is highly popular but the ones that are produce in 2010 are they just not worth it or prown to jam alot and is the quality control poor on them.

I prefer my 870 SuperMag to my Mossberg 500 anyday.

I can't stand the pump on the 500 since it wiggles side to side (rattle trap.)

Find an older 870 and rock on, just my $.002.

I have and prefer the 870 over a 500.
I don't know if they still do, but at one time the 500's had aluminum receivers. The 870 is all steel!
thumbup.gif

NewLife2626 said:
I am looking for a multi use shotgun that can be converted to a slug gun,defense gun,turkey gun. I am wondering which of the two is going to be better quality I know the 870 is highly popular but the ones that are produce in 2010 are they just not worth it or prown to jam alot and is the quality control poor on them. Is there a quality issue on the newer 870's or just speculation ?

I typed the above wrong . Do the newer 870's have problems not common to the earlier models ? I too am in the market for another shotgun and was planning on an 870 purchase .

The 870 is the gold standard IMHO. I tried to tell my buddy to get one and he bought a 500 instead. We went out shooting, he and another guy both bought 500s. We were shooting clay pigeons and I don't think either one of them got thru a box of shells before things started falling off. No exageration. They saved a couple of bucks but that's about all. The one gun started jamming and they both put them back in the box and were going to take them back. If I'm not mistaken, the 500 only has one rail and overall they just felt cheap compared to the Rem. No offense to anyone who owns and likes their 500, just not for me. You can put about 2 million rounds through an 870 (YUP, 2 mil)! Point being, if you find a deal on an older one, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Go with the 870 and you wont regret it. My father bought me an 870 Wingmaster for my 12th birthday, and in the 29 years I have had it I have never seen it fail in any way, shape, or form. Its still as solid and smooth as the day I pulled it from the box. I cant begin to imagine how many thousands of rounds that old beauty has chugged through without one single hitch.
As a matter of fact...this weekend Im trading a PSE bow for a NIB 870 Express that will double as a deer gun and coyote gun for the dense undergrowth typical in the woods here.
Get an 870, you will thank yourself for many years to come.

Get the Wingmaster version of the 870, it is a fantastic shotgun. The Express much less so. I've shot a whole bunch of Wingmaster and Police Models over the years and have a great deal of respect for them. I have a Wingmaster in my safe right now made in 1962 and though worn completely silver is as solid as a bank vault, and very, very, smooth! I've owned three Express Models and had trouble with every single one of them. I would absolutely buy even a used but not abused Wingmaster over a NIB Express any day.

You can't go wrong with the 870 in my opinion. Time tested and proven in the field. That being said, I have a 500 that I used for a thunderchicken gun for years and killed many with it without ANY issues. If I had to pick one I would go with the 870.

If you're set on a pump, 870 all the way.

If you are open to different suggestions, check this out... I have been reading ALL day about a very similar topic as I am in the market for a new semi auto. After sorting through a ton of posts and articles, I think that I will buy a Mossberg 930 Turkey. It is hard to find negative comments on them from actual owners. Sure they are ugly (to some) and get a crap for being "cheap" (I'm not opposed to saving $!) but those who own them seem to really like them. At under $500, ill bite!

just a fyi bit

Get the 870 and dont look back. Ive had my express super mag for about 6 years now and put way too many rounds to count through it without a problem. My cousin had a Mossberg 500 and my dad has a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag. While they are both nice shotguns they dont even begin to compare to the 870 in my opinion. Good luck.

My 500 has always fired and worked properly without issue. My 870 did not and didn't survive my few short weeks of frustration with it. I'm not sure how I could brag up the 500 though. I guess all I can say is it always works, and shoots in where I pointed it. I certainly couldnt say anything nice about my 870 other than it bent nice on impact....

I own both,and both have been reliable.
but as you have stated it will be a multi roll gun,I would lean to the 870.
It seems every day some one comes up with a new "add on" for it,so if you want you can tailer it to the task.
There are add on's available for the 500 also but far more for the 870.

SSG RED

I own three mossbergs. One 590A1, one 500 multi barrel and one 500 long barrel. Never had an issue with any of them. I shoot a lot of rounds of 12 gauge a year, and love the mossberg. The issue for me is the safety. I am crosseye dominant and the 870 is not ideal for my lefthanded shooting out of the box. If I were you and was looking for a true multi purpose gun, I would go with the 870. Not the express, but a police or wingmaster. I have my guns for certain things and ways that I shoot. Lefty and all
DaFUnk

For home defence my 500 is great. For a multi-purpose tool I'd have to agree with the consensus and go with the 870, though truth be told, for a hunting pump, I stick to my model 12s.

Back