Hornady superformance powder

DOGMAN243

Was reading in a magazine i got in mail recently that Hornady and hodgdon are going to be selling the superformance powder that hornady uses in its superformance loads beginning spring of 2011 should be interesting looking forward to getting my hands on a can of that!!
thumbup.gif

agreed. I had a listing of all the different performance info and it looks AMAZING to say the least.

Something like pushing a 100gr .243 bullet at 3800fps with no signs of pressure.

(lots of other stuff but i've misplaced the link)

Originally Posted By: cbass16agreed. I had a listing of all the different performance info and it looks AMAZING to say the least.

Something like pushing a 100gr .243 bullet at 3800fps with no signs of pressure.

(lots of other stuff but i've misplaced the link)

It is supposed to yield 100 - 200 fps more velocity than what is currently available. That does not equate to a 243/100 gr. @ 3800 fps.

I seriously doubt that the powder will get 100 grain bullets up to 3800 fps, that would beat a 257 Weatherby magnum that spits them out at 3600 fps. Maybe 3100 or stretching it to 3200 fps. Hornady is loading their 243 superformance with 58 grain, 80 grain, and 95 grain weight bullets. they are doing 3750 fps with the 58 grainer, 3425 fps, and 3185 fps with the 95 grainer. I am sure you can get fast with the 55-58 grain bullets up to around 4000 fps or slightly more. I think it will be a nice powder but we will see maybe 100 fps boost over what we have now.

TOTALLY MY BAD... I must have been looking at crisscrossed data.

At any rate, here is the form I was talking about to give some ideas of velocity to bullet.

Click it to see it larger

Beat me to it lol.

They are supposed to be releasing a new .22 cal bullet also. If I recall PX has a article in the new issue.

Last edited:
WHAT AM I GONNA DO WITH THE 300 LBS OF RIFLE PROPELLANT I GOT NOW??????????????????

so many questions........cost?......cost?....cost?.......and how expensive?

not only increased velocity & pressures not spiking but recoil does not increase.....this will really help in reduced loads also.

wonder how late the established powder producers are staying up?

and will it be available in PISTOL form?

Joyce would be proud.......sorry,.....prouder.

I just hope their powder is better than the loaded factory ammo. Several people, including myself, have tried it and thought it was terrible.

I know the whole thing about the powder is it's supposed to deliver more velocity with lower pressure. But looking at the max loads .243 data for regular powder and the new powder is identical. Soooo... not a whole lot of reason for that 1. I didn't check the other calibers.

Last edited:
Back