17 Rem vs, 17 fireball

Z

I want to get a 17 for coyotes. There are a lot of 17 Fireballs out there, but not many 17 Remingtons. Is there that much diff between the two to make a difference?

17 rem is slightly better overall

brass may be easier to find

plus if your an AR guy they make upper chambered in 17rem

The 17 Rem will let you shoot at least 100 yards further on an animal.

How far do you plan on shooting? If under 150 yards or so, either will work fine with proper shot placement. I have killed coyotes past 300 with the 17 Rem, but don't recommend it. Shot them under 150 with the 17 Mach IV (pretty much the same as the 17FB), and it worked fine.

The 17 Rem will do everything the 17 FB will + .

Agreed

In my small mind, the 17FB's more suited for the 20gr pills, where as the 17Rem really shines with 25's.
I say that because I'm convinced after allot of years shooting the 17's that they need to run right at 4000fps to be effective on Coyote sized game, and that's not easy to do with the FB sized case and a managable barrel length.
For longer shots out west, the 17/204 shooting 30's is probably a good choice, although I've lived out west all my life and never felt undergunned with my good ol 17Rem shooting 25's.
I love my little CZ chambered in 17FB for Ground Squirrls and Rock Chucks or when calling Cats and don't hesitate to shoot a Coyote with it when the opertunity arises, but when Coyotes are on the main menue the 17Rem is my first pick. I should say however, that I don't concider it "overkill" for Cats by any streatch and more than adequate for all of the above, but what fun would that be?

Best to just get both.
wink.gif

Luck

You can load a .17 Remington down a tad to .17 Furball levels and brass will last you a bit longer. That is what I usually do with my loads. One of my "reduced loads" with a 20 grain Vmax took a memorable 400 yard prairie dog a couple of years back. Dead at the hit he was. I mostly use it for the local ground squirrels but have shot a bunch of the pasture pooches with it. If I were loading for coyote size game I would go full thottle loads I think.

Remember- you can load .17 Remmy down to .17 FB levels, but not the other way around.

Both of my .17 Remingtons shoot best downloaded a bit. In fact they shoot best right at about .17 Fireball max velocity. The question is (as I see it) does the .17 Fireball shoot bets maxed out? Or proportionately downloaded?

Thanks gentlemen, you basically told me what I already believed, but just needed confirmation. I wish the 17 Remingtons weren't so hard to find.

Quote:I wish the 17 Remingtons weren't so hard to find

Check out Gunbroker. In the search box on the home page, type in LVSF.

Originally Posted By: stanly Quote:I wish the 17 Remingtons weren't so hard to find

Check out Gunbroker. In the search box on the home page, type in LVSF.

Or .......
Get a .223 action and have a Pac-Nor barrel screwed on. Then you have the best of both worlds.

Quote:Or .......
Get a .223 action and have a Pac-Nor barrel screwed on. Then you have the best of both worlds.

+1, then you can get exactly what you want and have an excellent barrel.

Big Sky,
Don't know much about attaching a new barrel to an action. Can the bolt face of a 223 work for a 17 remington which is based off of a 222?

Originally Posted By: ZDon't know much about attaching a new barrel to an action. Can the bolt face of a 223 work for a 17 remington which is based off of a 222?

The .222, .223, .222 Mag, .204 Ruger, .17 Fireball, .221 Fireball and .17 Remington all have the same size case head (.375-.378") so the bolt face size for all are the same as well.

Back