Public and private land?

Here is my respect for not tresspassing, My wife shot her first deer (buck) this past Sat. and didn't hit it real good, we tracked it to a property line and it kept going we didn't. We were hunting a WMA so no clue as to who owned the property, but the look on her face when we couldn't go after it was killing us and the respect I have for landowners kept a buck tag in her pocket.

Sorry bout that, but I just use DNR maps where I hunt and property lines are thourghly defined.

So you two wounded a deer and just let it die somewhere else??? That's pretty bad sportsmanship if you ask me! From now on practice, practice, practice, and practice some more! If your not willing to go onto someones land to get your wounded game for a terrible shot then I suggest you two stay out of field until you can make sure of your shots 100% of the time! Now you have a dead buck on someones land that was not shot on their land but yet they find it and think "Hmmm some A$$hole shot this deer on my land! I guess I won't let anyone else hunt on it!"

In Iowa, you can retrieve downed game WHEN you leave your gun or bow on the property you have permission on, and walk straight to the animal and straight back to the fence you crossed to go in. If you are going to go looking for the animal (not knowing where it is) you must ask for permission to "look" for it. The reason is so hunters don't make fake claims of downed game to walk through and push out animals from properties they don't have permission on. Fair to the hunter and property owner. Jim

I'm guessing that if you are someone you know shot an animal and it ran onto land you were not allowed on, you could call a Game warden or local law enforcement agent.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiI'm guessing that if you are someone you know shot an animal and it ran onto land you were not allowed on, you could call a Game warden or local law enforcement agent.

Bingo. Lots of ways to get your animal that don't involve pissing off the landowner, or doing it without his knowledge and thinking there is no harm.

There is NO harm if you are doing it to get your game! You are not breaking the law in anyway! So what is the difference if the land owner knows or not?? I'm sure the Game and LEO's have alot better things to do then drive all the way to the middle of no where to watch some hunter cross a fence to get a dead dove or deer!

And if the law [beeep] the landowner off well then they should put up a 10ft fence! Or move to Mexico!

Different states usually have specific laws about recovering wounded/dying game as a result of hunting... Most states have specific laws about trespass as well...

It pays to know what laws are governing you, even though ethically you may feel what is right, there is no sense risking a court fine and the negative publicity when calling the local authorities may open the proper doors...

Most county sheriff's offices have up to date property owner files/maps and would rather assist in gaining legal access than serving a warrant for trespass and game violations..

dmpowder...after reading your last 2 posts I have to say you sounding like a [beeep].

Putting down a mans wife like that..we all make bad shots from time to time.

And to say its ok to go onto someone land just because they are not around.

That giving hunter a bad name all the way around.

Dmpowder, Thanks for the defense and understanding what I did.

Orkan, Game law here says you must make a dilligent effort to retrieve your game and yes state law says tresspassing is illegal, so? which law do I break?

t/c223encore.

I think you should make every effort possible to retrieve your game but here in Missouri you must ask permission before crossing over to someones else land. If they tell you no there is nothing you can do about it. It even says in the conservation rules and regs that calling the warden wont do you any good bc they can not make a land owner give you permission to go on their land. As for wounding a deer and letting it die somewhere else. The last three deer I have shot with my .270 all ran for more than 50 yards after being shot. 50 yards aint much but is plenty for the deer to travel over to someones else property. Upon cleaning these deer all the hearts were completely mutilated by the bullet but if one of them were to jump the fence it would be illegal for me to retrieve it without the owners permission whether it be 5 feet on their property or 500 yards.

Originally Posted By: t/c223encoreOrkan, Game law here says you must make a dilligent effort to retrieve your game and yes state law says tresspassing is illegal, so? which law do I break?

I'm sure that no landowner is EVER home where you live.
thumbdown.gif

To say that I'm thankful that you live no where near any of my ground would be an understatement.

Guess we both got the same thing to be thankful for. I got my doves, no one said a thing, nothing bad happened, the land owner probably still don't know I was ever 40 feet on thier property only to get my doves and get back off ASAP, I did what I did and I'd do it again if i have to. Guess we should just agree to disagree.

t/c223encore.

Orkan,

Do you really find most land owners home? I travel a lot to hunt so I'm rarely hunting in areas where I have the luxury of knowing land owners. I'm an avid bird hunter and I would say in Kansas and Iowa most of the folks living on the farm either are not home or don't own the land. I average about 1 in 4 when I knock on doors to ask permission to hunt land. That's not 1 in 4 for getting permission thats 1 in 4 for even getting to talk to the actual land owner.
I never hunt unless I get permission but I will say it takes a long time to finally find someone home, then to find out if they have the authority to grant permission.
Actually it's becoming less of an issue as more and more land is getting leased by hunting groups from the city that won't let the landowner grant permission to anyone else. I've had several land owners tell me they would love to let me hunt but contractually they can't. I hate to see land just sitting there because some group tied it up and none of them are even coming out to hunt it.
This is really only a problem for the traveling hunter. If you only hunt local there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to scout and get permissions before a season starts.

I think I remember a case where a hunter legally shot a deer and it ran onto someones land, then expired. The Landowner would not allow the hunter to retrieve the animal. The law was called but they said their hands were tied. I believe it was in NY state and the landowner was an anti hunter or such.

I imagine if the landowner were to touch the deer they would be required to tag it? Or they could be charged for poaching, and if they don't then maybe a charge for knowledgeable waste of game. Don't really know though.

Doves I could care less about someone trespassing to recover. Deer, as long as they are not driving their trucks out in my fields I am probably ok with, coming to the house first I always like. Guys that think they have a right or entitlement I am never ok with. My name and cell phone number is posted on the door of my Barn/shop next to the house. For me common courtesy goes a very long ways as trespassing is a sore spot for me as 3 sides of my property borders WIHA.

Interesting subject, and how does one go by the letter of the law?
Here in Ca. the regulations state:

If the land you hunt on is not your own, It Belongs to someone else. Make sure you have a "Legal" right to be there. Contact the Owner, or person that administers the property, and secure "written permission" to Hunt. A Hunting License does NOT entitle you to "enter" private property.

I could find no info that as long as you just went to collect game that it was ok/not ok. But the regs use the word " Enter" not just hunt. Id have to think you need permission to be on that property.

You almost have to be a Lawyer to decypher the Regs, but that word "Enter" seems cut and dried. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: t/c223encoreGuess we should just agree to disagree

Nope... I'm just going to disagree, trespasser.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: t/c223encoreGuess we should just agree to disagree

Nope... I'm just going to disagree, trespasser.
smile.gif

LOL, thats funny, good one Orkan. I like your sense of humor.

t/c223encore.

Back