Best Bobcat call???

TNCOYOTEHUNTER

Hey everybody! Got a farm nearby here that called me and said they have spotted two bobcats!! I have always wanted to get a bobcat and get it mounted so I am stoked. Wanted to ask you fellow "East" hunters, what the best e-call is to bring in bobcats. I have a Foxpro FX3. If there is a hand call that you think would work well, then I am totally not against it. I am getting more into hand calling for the yotes anyways.
Appreciate everyones responses!
Thanks everybody and hope your having some great luck out there!

Stacy

I have good luck calling bobcats with the woodpecker sounds, flicker sounds, turkey distress, and if you have it cottontail distress 1 on my foxpro.

As far as handcalls go I think that the syco tweety would work well, its very high pitched and bird like sounding and has blood drippng from every note

Best of luck on your bobcat

Originally Posted By: sonofdsouth72X2 on the bird sounds .
Thanks guys! I appreciate it. I'll have some pics of that kitty cat here in a week or two!!!!!! I HOPE!

Thanks again,

Stacy

Something else to try, housecat. I thought it would be just the thing for yotes, and have called in exactly 3 in 4 yrs, but called in 5 bobcats. I don't know if its food or mates, but it was 2 females, & 1 male that I shot, the other 2 were out of season. Just another angle. Good luck,& stay on stand 30 min or more.

Everyone thinks you need a bird sound to call a cat in. This is not the case, most cats come in early stand to cottontail or jack rabbit distress. Once they lock up I'll switch to a bird sound. I have called in 5 cats this year, they all came in fast to the rabbit distress, only 2/5 locked up and I switched to a bird to coax them the rest of the way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: masshunterSomething else to try, housecat. I thought it would be just the thing for yotes, and have called in exactly 3 in 4 yrs, but called in 5 bobcats. I don't know if its food or mates, but it was 2 females, & 1 male that I shot, the other 2 were out of season. Just another angle. Good luck,& stay on stand 30 min or more.

same here foxpros kittens down real low........and varmint als bird......has called in a few for me..got a tag this year never sent for em before.....hope i call one in about 3 weeks from now....a tally ho hand call works well also..

At one time I would have said bird distress and baby cottontail were best for me. But as the years turn and I call more cats I think it isn't as big of a deal the type sound made. Course jackrabbit and fawn distress has worked for me about as well as cottontail or woodpecker distress. I think the real secret is being close to the cat when setting up. They don't seem to want to come a long way to the call like a coyote will and when surprised with excited calls close to them they come on the run as often as the sneak.

I just shot one last week after using cottontail distress for a few minutes and then changed it over to grey squirrel distress. She came out from a cutover and into a pasture where my caller was.

in youre best little girl voice say here kitty kitty kitty, repeatedly. if no takers after two hours get a bowl of milk . works like a charm.

My experiences are similiar to GC. I've called them with bird distress, baby cottontail, and a very raspy cottontail. One thing in common, I was set up next to really heavy cover. Sneak in close to the thick stuff, call soft and keep your eyes peeled. They can be tough to see if they sneak in. Another tip, listen for birds, they will sometimes give them away.

Last edited:
2nd the haydel calls....prefer the cottontail distress over anyone elses.

Have had really good luck drawing in "bob" with common Tomcat calls.

Use the Tom calls like a howler....the switch into rabbit....even drop down low to "meows" to coax 'em in closer. Mouse squeaks to keep'em easing in.

Feather "decoy" seems to give them a great focal point.

Last edited:
had good luck taking the squeaker out of a dog toy....and blowing it hard like a rabbit scream a few times...its high pitch seems to catch there attention....

Originally Posted By: cawilson82in youre best little girl voice say here kitty kitty kitty, repeatedly. if no takers after two hours get a bowl of milk . works like a charm.

HAHAHA!! That was funny man! I may have to try that if all else fails!!

Since the O.P. was from 2010 I wonder if the guy from TN was ever successful with the advice he got here?

I did call one in a week ago using a "mob of crows" and a rabbit squealing.

I don't target them, but noticed those I have called were from heavy cover using house cat sounds. I also notice a lot of tracks where turkeys feed and roost. Biggest one I shot I backtracked to an old car in the woods he was going under .

Back