What's your minimum caliber for racoons?

Dust

I have looked around several boards, and seen .22LR, .22 stinger, hmr, wmr, .223. SOmeone told me that the hm2 was too weak, someone loved it. So, what is the minimum caliber

1. You would shoot at a racoon
2. You would take racoon hunting

Been taking them done for years with my .22lr. Never really thought of using anything else. I try to keep as little fur damage as I can.

I think circumstances,are important for the purpose of the disscussion.
Treed coons, .22lr is just fine, called coons with "good shot placement" .22lr is fine. Spotlighting coons in the rocks, or accross feilds(basicly outside 50 yrds), I like a small accurate center fire.(Hornet, fireball,.223,or similar).
Shotgun with turkey loads works great for called coons.
Coons can be real tough.

Here's an article I wrote a few years ago.

Night Hunting for Raccoons

The phone rang at 5:30 pm, just as I had came home from work. Jamie Dupont, one of my favorite hunting partners, had a farmer offer him and me exclusive hunting rights to his property. All we had to do was get rid of some problem raccoons.
Jamie asked if I was interested, but I think he knew the answer before the question was even asked. We agreed to meet at the south gate of the farm at 9:30pm.
As we gathered our gear and put on our camo clothing, we heard the most awful squalling and hissing noise. We both knew it was the sound of two coons fighting over something. I told Jamie, “This is going to be a good night.”
We decided to set up on opposite sides of a cut strip between standing corn rows. We were about 50 feet apart, with the agreement that I would face and shoot north, while Jamie would face and shoot south. When Jamie was set, he gave one quick squall on a diaphragm call and I knew it was time to start calling.
I proceeded to play a wounded bird/coons fighting tape in the electronic caller. About 30 seconds into the calling sequence I heard the first shot, then another and then another. I was so surprised by Jamie’s shooting, that I failed to notice four coons coming down a corn row straight at me. They were about 20 feet away when they stopped and the boar that was in the lead hissed at me. That gained my attention!
In the moonlight, all we could see were fat little silhouettes. After 30 minutes of no activity I turned off the caller. We both then turned on our flashlights. The total count was 15 coons- eight for Jamie with his 870 and seven for me with my 10/22 rifle. It was a very good night.
When things work, they work. On this hunt we knew there were coons in the area. We also knew that playing a tape of coon fighting/wounded bird is like yelling “fight!” in the parking lot of a fast food joint on a Friday night. The call draws attention! With a call, that incorporates territorial instinct and hunger responses, coons come running.
When hunting at night, make sure that you and your partner know where the other one is because quite often you can’t see each other.
Over the next couple of months, I will share tips and techniques, pertaining to all varmints, that I have learned, both by trial and error, and by listening to and hunting with more experienced hunters.
I hope my column is entertaining and also offers some insight into the sport of varmint hunting. Remember that all hunts are as good as the memories they provide us.

Duane Freilino

I've had 22lr not go through the skull before. stuck under the skin right between the eyes. It's happened a couple times. .17hmr or .22 mag would be what I think. I'm not a big coon hunter just been out with a friend who traps a lot and he only uses a .22 mag. I'm not for a second saying the 22lr won't do the job, I've just had it come up short on a couple of occasions.

Originally Posted By: Irish_80 I'm not for a second saying the 22lr won't do the job, I've just had it come up short on a couple of occasions.

Fret not, someone will be along shortly to say that's EXACTLY what you were saying.

Chupa

Good point Chupa so I guess I'll just say it. I think the 22lr isn't enough for these big ol' Missouri coons and anyone who has killed one with the .22 is a lucky SOB.
grin.gif

From 12yrs old into my early twenties I hunted and trapped coons and have shot hundreds of them spotlighting. Coons are tough, vicious fighters but I along with my hunting buddies found them to be surpisingly easy to kill with .22 shorts.
Many times I was the designated shooter at the front of the boat and a coon running along a trail on a cliff thumped with a .22 short would ball up and tumble fifty feet in the water.
Hit once and they would at least stay anchored until a follow up shot but most of the time that wasn't needed.
YMMV

We haven't tried calling them, just ran them with dogs forever, and a .22 lr works just fine. Quite often though, if we're close to buildings or cattle, or just want to "walk them out", so young dogs can get a taste of them, .22 shorts or CB caps work just fine.

Back in the old days , I would sometimes run a trap line with one of grandfathers. Both used old rusty bolt action 22s. I do remember a 22LR slug would not pass through the skull of a coon when shot under the chin. I never will forget that. They did that as to not damage the hide. I learned to be a fan of the 22 magnum. 22LR is for plinking, 22 magnum is for killing.

the 17hm2 is a wicked wicked round. I have done alot of shooting with them up to beaver size animals, and as long as shot placement was right, i have not had an issue.

but range should be addressed, if you are going out past 75 or 100 yards up it to the 17 hmr, anything past 150 go to a light fast centerfire.

but thats just my 2 cents

Minimum? .177 pellet from a Winchester 1000FPS Air Rifle. I've shot several from my back porch that were in my garden 20-30 yards away. Never took more than one shot, though a couple did thrash around for a couple of minutes. They may be tough critters but their skulls aren't all that thick. Fairly big coons as well. Shot one that was eating cherries in one of my cherry trees. Darn thing got pretty far out on a limb and had it break, the limb was 1" in diameter where it broke. I though I'd get a quick shot figuing it was stunned from the fall. Nope, just climbed right up the tree and went after my cherries again. Shot it under the chin - dead before it hit the ground.

I'd prefer to use a .22lr but the neighbors would probably complain. Except for my next door neighbor - a coon came in her pet door and really trashed her entire kitchen - you would've sworn there'd been an eathquake! She offer to pay me for that one!

Originally Posted By: jbelow22LR is for plinking, 22 magnum is for killing. Agreed! Mag is much better on coon. Tend to stay away from the hollow points though.

Back