Anyone ever done a custom on a Model 7?

reloadmike78

I've got a Model 7 Stainless Synthetic in .308 and I would like to turn this rifle into a good solid yotee gun. Maybe .243, .243AI or something of the sorts.....Here is my issue, I've never heard of anyone doing a custom on a Mod 7 action and also don't ever see "Mod 7 Barrels" advertised anywhere.

Anyone ever done this? Or know anything about it?

Thanks,

Mike

There are some of them that have been used to make very nice custom rifles. I had a M7 that I chambered a Swift barrel for and it was a great carry coyote rifle. Traded it to a friend that still uses it. The same accuracy techniques can be used on the M7 that are used with the M700/40X to make a very accuate hunting rifle. They are not as common as the 700 but they are being used as a platform to build on.

funny you should ask that, I was just looking into it last night. I dunno what I really want yet, but Ive always wanted a & and thought it would be a great platform.

I've been looking for a used Model 7 for a project rifle myself. Still debating on choice of calibers. I've contemplated on several including the .338 Federal, .358 Winchester or 350 Rem Mag. I like the compactness of the Model 7, just hate the fact that most of the factory models only have a 20" tube. My Model 7 Predator is 22" and it is about perfect. My build would include a fluted barrel and bolt, composite stock, and I'm leaning towards stainless finish.

Last edited:
I just had a mod 7 built this summer by Bob Green Rifles He chambered a new PacNor 17 cal barrel in 17 fireball, trued the action put in a Jewel trigger and bedded it in a HS stock it is one heck of a shooter

17fb003.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Model 7 that was turned into a 22/250 around 20 years ago. Remington didn't put a 22/250 barrel on them back then, but you could buy a remington barrelled action in 7mm/08 back then and have it re-barrelled. So that's what I did.

It has a #1 contour Douglas Featherweight XX stainless steel barrel about 22" long. If I was doing it again, I would go with a #2 contour from any of the good barrel makers that would be 24". But, the rifle is very accurate as is, and very light to carry (I put it in a McMillan stock and it has a Leupold 3x9 Compact scope.

Its a great package.

Note: I don't think Douglas will provide a 24" barrel unless its in a #3 or #4 contour. Every Douglas barrel I have had put on is a shooter.

Originally Posted By: Rich44I just had a mod 7 built this summer by Bob Green Rifles He chambered a new PacNor 17 cal barrel in 17 fireball, trued the action put in a Jewel trigger and bedded it in a HS stock it is one heck of a shooter

Rich's rifle is a real honey too!!

FWIW
Dave Afflec's infamous (LOL) 17Predator (VarmintSafari.com) is also built on a Model7.

The only difference in a M7 and 700 is about a half inch off of the back of the receiver.
The older ones only had one rear hole for a scope base so a one piece base often had to be used, which off-set some of the weight saving in the shorter action. Newer models have two holes.

IMO,,,It's a great action to build a nice little walking varminter on.
Luck

Originally Posted By: MPFDI alway thought a model 7 was just a 700 with a 20" ultra light barrel...huh?

Nope
Measure the two and you'll see what I mean.
Basically the same but the action and bolt are a tad shorter.
Triggers are interchangeable though.

I have a custom Model 7 in 358 Win. It has a Hart 21 1/2" barrel w/ muzzle break and a Bansner stock. Action blueprinted and trued, of course. I used a DNZ Gamereaper mount and put a Leupold VXII 2-7 on it, I think it's about 6 1/2 lbs loaded and ready to go. It's the most accurate rifle I've ever owned, and the easiest carrying, too. I load 200 grain TSXs to about 2500 fps and my best group was a whisker over an inch at 200 yards. This is the only pic I have, with the deer I killed with it last year.
11432_657304993419_5824849_37969262_7295637_n.jpg

Originally Posted By: adrenaline151I have a custom Model 7 in 358 Win. It has a Hart 21 1/2" barrel w/ muzzle break and a Bansner stock. Action blueprinted and trued, of course. I used a DNZ Gamereaper mount and put a Leupold VXII 2-7 on it, I think it's about 6 1/2 lbs loaded and ready to go. It's the most accurate rifle I've ever owned, and the easiest carrying, too. I load 200 grain TSXs to about 2500 fps and my best group was a whisker over an inch at 200 yards. This is the only pic I have, with the deer I killed with it last year.
11432_657304993419_5824849_37969262_7295637_n.jpg

I like it. Real close to what I would like to build.

Originally Posted By: wyoshooterI've been looking for a used Model 7 for a project rifle myself. Still debating on choice of calibers. I've contemplated on several including the .338 Federal, .358 Winchester or 350 Rem Mag. I like the compactness of the Model 7, just hate the fact that most of the factory models only have a 20" tube. My Model 7 Predator is 22" and it is about perfect. My build would include a fluted barrel and bolt, composite stock, and I'm leaning towards stainless finish.

better take a peek in the classifieds.
smile.gif
I am trying to sell my .260 stainless synthetic model 7. I love that little rifle but I am tired of lugging it back and forth to alaska from NY and I have a .300 saum that is more versatile.

HaHaHA,,,,,,,,, K22,,,,,,, Go look at my post on the 17FB vs 17Rem Thread, and you'll see that I clearly stated that the 17Rem is my pick of the 17cal litter.
wink.gif

You'll also note that I said that everyone should have a couple of different 17cals to make their lives truely complete.
grin.gif

BTW,,, How's that six pound gun coming along. Wasn't that a Model7 ?

This old custom build ended up to be much like the Model 7s that came out years after it was built.

-660 Action
-700 Trigger, Bolt Handle & 20" Stainless 7Mag barrel
-HS Precision Stock
-.284 Winchester Chamber

100_2598.jpg

K22 & RePete, I think i will maybe just do a custom Rem 17 barrel, that way i get an easy caliber to load (no fireforming) but still get to do a custom build
smile.gif
Then if i really like the 17's then i will have an excuse to build a 17P
smile.gif

I've looked to the 7's, 'cept I have 6 700's, so its been a bit hard to "break" that habit.
Didn't realize the triggers were interchangeable. The barrel threads the same too?

Although, the little "Youth" 700's would make a great predator rifle too, just wondering how the costs would compare. Have three of them.... wife and kids 'ya know.

oh yea, I'm a lefty, don't know if they make a 7 in LH.

Originally Posted By: bigsky_songdogsK22 & RePete, I think i will maybe just do a custom Rem 17 barrel, that way i get an easy caliber to load (no fireforming) but still get to do a custom build
smile.gif
Then if i really like the 17's then i will have an excuse to build a 17P
smile.gif

I think that is an excellent idea. You'll be very happy with it too. Like what has already been posted, 17's are addictive.

Back