Anyone using coyote decoys

mt boy

I have been wanting to try one of these but was wondering if any of you are using one that could give me some info.Like the looks of the one made by edge or montana decoy.Thanks

I have the Montana one. Used it several times last year, esp toward the end when I was doing more howling. My last coyote was killed over it. I had the decoy in the bottom of the canyon and the FP sitting next to it howling. I was up on the rim watching. Nothing came in and I thought maybe I should take a peek up on top. Crawled up thru the rocks and there were 2 coyotes up there howling at the decoy and a 3rd walking off. I dropped the biggest one and barked enough to stop the second. Unfortunately, I fogged my scope breathing on it and couldn't get a clear sight picture on the second so I missed.

Did the decoy help or would just straight howling have done it? Dunno. That was the only time I had coyotes come in with the decoy up.

I have one, it fits nicely in my calling fag bag but have not deployed it successfully yet in the field.

Here is a shot from the field, just thought I would check how it looked. When I got it initially I put it out in the back yard when the dogs were not looking and then let them out. They charged that thing like a real dog...

1-15-10132.jpg

I have one i need to go pick up at the taxidermist, hoping it works out good for me,Thinking of cutting a hole in its chest when i get it and putting my Foxpro in it.

got a store bought one...i filled it with spray foam...so it holds its shape....do it with my turkey decoys also...very little extra weight...

You may want to ck out edge,they have some great decoys easy to carry and man do the coyotes get tore up when they see it.There hair stands up on there back and they are pissed.Look at the red fox to.www.edgebyexpedite.com

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SDHowlerI made the following coyote decoy from a pelt that I bought from a local fur buyer.

_Decoy76.jpg

I cut out a silhouette of a coyote from a piece of 1/2 inch plywood then covered it with a coyote pelt. I first coated the flesh side of the pelt with 20 Mule Team borax to preserve the pelt. I stapled some pipe insulation foam along the back and head area of the silhouette to widen and protect the pelt. The pelt had to dry for a day or so and then was cut down the center of the lower jaw through the belly, after which I stapled it to the silhouette. Years ago, I talked to several callers that were using decoys and they said the sitting decoy worked better for them and the oncoming coyotes usually approached the decoy from it's back side.

You can fasten some metal angle brackets along the bottom edge and use some small stakes to hold the decoy upright. The preserved fur will last several seasons.
That thing looks pretty good. I have used a red fox skin on a similar frame that you made. Coyotes came pretty good to it.

I bought a fox decoy last year. I have beeen expecting some big coyote to come in and kick his bleep but hasn't happened yet.

The fured decoy looks good. I have brought them to a masonite cut out, painted to look like a fox. I was hard to carry and kept blowing over in the wind so I retired it in favor of this rubber fox.

I have been using the coyote but have a fox coming,I think right now the fox would work better and about feb,march,april the coyote because the coyotes will be protecting there area then,now the young one have had their butts kick a few times and the fox would be a easy fight.Plus the fox and coyote fight fox pro has would work great with that call.www.edgebyexpedite

Last edited:
Thats kinda what I was thinking going to try the coyote first then maybe the fox this spring.Any one know whos got the best deals.

Back