Which motion decoy??

Trapper Luke

Well thinkin its bout time I invest in a motion decoy. I'm sure this question has been asked a million times on here, if you could pick any of the motion decoys on the market today which would you pick and why?

Thanks,
Luke

How well does the "critter" hold up in cold temps? Seems like thats one of the downfalls you always hear bout motion decoys is how the perform in the cold.

The biggest problem I have with the mojo is that if you will have frozen ground, or rocky ground to try to push the stake into. Yeah I know, you can get a tripod for it but it is still low to the ground. If you have tall vegetation it is concealed from the view of the predator. I really like the whirling woodpecker because I can place it higher up in bushes, tees, or on a fence and the predators have a better view of it from a longer distance. Some will say they eat batteries but I can run one AA battery for 4-6 twenty five minute stands, depending on the wind speed, before it is done. I always go out with 3-6 rechargeable batteries just for the woodpecker. The mojo takes 4 anyway to start with and will last all day depending on the time and number of stands you do, but that's the same that it takes the woodpecker to last all day. So do you have tall vegetation or do you have low vegetation is the biggest question. Both are great decoys!!!

1/4" all thread cut to any length you prefer to get the critter higher above the ground. Push the stake in first and then screw decoy on to top of stake. When hunting corn stubble I just put the stake in a broken over corn stalk.

For unfrozen ground I have some old fiberglass tent poles that I cut into 1 ft. sections. I can connect as many as needed to get the critter above the weeds.

If I am in the timber I just stick it in an old log or tree stump if there is one close to my stand.

Alright tall vegetation wouldnt be a real big problem for me in most my stands but frozen ground would be. Hows the stake attached to the actual decoy? Is it how jackindistress was sayin and just threaded for 1/4" rod/all thread? If it is the it would be to big of a problem to do what jack said and just get some all thread.

It has the same screw in threads as a Camera tripod mount. I mounted my CS 24 to a good camera tripod then used a bolt and wing nuts and mounted the Mojo to the side of the CS 24. The CS 24 will just clip to the tripod when the tripod is needed or sit on the ground.

It has the same screw in threads as a Camera tripod mount. I mounted my CS 24 to a good camera tripod then used a bolt and wing nuts and mounted the Mojo to the side of the CS 24. The CS 24 will just clip to the tripod when the tripod is needed or sit on the ground.

I have seen guys use those little table top camera tripods which would about double the height of the decoy. I have also seen where they cut a piece of 1" thick wood about 6" square and just drill a hole in the center of it to insert the stake for the decoy. I am thinking about trying some 3/4" pvc pipe and put a couple of "T"s between each piece of 6" section to form an X for a base. I figure if I don't glue it together I should be able to twist it apart to make it easier to fit in my pack.

I like the idea that daddyflea has to mount it to the caller and then put the caller on the tripod. That will elevate the caller so that the sound carries farther and get the decoy up where it can be seen at a longer distance.

Back