Looking to build a custom Reloading Bench

mikeinlouisiana

I got one in College, so a room has been partly cleared out. I got a chance to come in from the garage (no climate control) to inside, but I know the bench would have to pass inspection from the wife....(pretty). Not many of them on the net that have found. I located this one that has potential but would change some things. I do not understand the exposed 4" x 4" in the corners. Maybe weight...dunno. I might have to add some drawers.

reloadingbench.jpg

That looks pretty stout!
I like it, and my wife does too!
grin.gif

I'm still stuck in the garage.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited:
Can only speculate he used 4X4s for strength cant say for sure.
The two front 4X4 legs looked like he capped them with the same 1X2s that he used for trim on the rest of the bench.

Believe me, when you are cranking on a press, you want the bench weight that the 4x4s offer, as well as the stability...

When I built mine, I doubled the 2x4s and cross braced the legs.... Bolted it to the wall studs and when I get a tight case in the die, I can still lift the front an inch when it lets loose...

LoadBench.jpg

4X4's are great. A bench can never be too stout. That guy did a nice job, he even went full length on the 4X4's in the back. That is a very nice bench.

Personally I do not like drawers or doors on my shelves. Tom.

I built my own. I bought a nice cheap 6'counter top at HD.. Then put in some nice shelving and finally I had some kitchen cabinets from a recent remodel I installed. Added some pegboard too. Looked tons better than the 2X4 and plywood deal i had goin before..

I can't seem to attach a file to this post, but I have a set of plans I dug up off the internet. They seem to be of a well designed bench, I plan on building one once I get the wife's bathroom finished.
smile.gif

I converted the PDF to a series of JPG images, PM me an email addy and I can send you a copy of the original document.

Last edited:
The one I built at my old house was topped with a solid door that I got in the scratch and dent area. Very stout and a good base to bolt things to. Currently I have a funny dimension work room that I sawed a solid Table in half and attached them to the wall, on half reloading bench, the other computer table. Works well enough.

IMG_3345.JPG

There is mine. It's changed slightly since then, but the concept remains the same. I screwed 6 half inch pieces of plywood together with the top piece being finished plywood. Bolted a couple 1x4's to the wall in the back for holding bullets and tools. It works for the space I have.

Now that is more my style as I reserve furniture to the areas that the wife frequents
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: orkan
IMG_3345.JPG

There is mine. It's changed slightly since then, but the concept remains the same. I screwed 6 half inch pieces of plywood together with the top piece being finished plywood. Bolted a couple 1x4's to the wall in the back for holding bullets and tools. It works for the space I have.

Guys, If I built something that looked as nice as some of the ones posted, I'd have to worry about my wife trying to take the space over for all of her Arts & Crafts supplies/work area and then I'd be relegated back to the garage...
w00t.gif

When I was a kid(15-17), I used to work in a furniture store, repairing/refinishing freight damage, so I know how to work with wood, but I've tried to never let her know about my 'sordid' history, for obvious reasons...
rolleyes.gif

She tells everyone that she knew I wasn't a "handyman" when she married me 21 years ago and I'd like to keep it that way...
thumbup.gif

here is mine.
4x4 frame, 2x8's front to back with 2x8's on top of that side to side, glued and screwed, and then a sheet of 3/4" plywood covered with stainless steel. it dont move at all!
a couple of shelves above for storage, and room underneath for the heater.

P7030005Small.jpg

Back