Problem with a Weaver Grand Slam

bigsky_songdogs

I have a Weaver Grand Slam that i put on my 300, after getting it sighted in the best i could, it was still 2 inches left, and there is no adjustment left in the scope (i cant move it anymore to bring it center). I am using warne rings, Burris bases. this scope has always been a workhorse, but it is getting older.

My question is-Does this sound like a scope issue, or a mounting issue?

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Fin

I'm no expert but are you certain you mounted it correctly? Did you boresight it before taking to the range? Mounting it just a tiny bit incorrectly can bring big trouble as I learned the hard way. I hope your scope is not the problem, good luck.

I believe so, i visually bore sighted it because i couldnt find my bore sighter. The range is my back yard, so i mounted the scope and went out to shoot.

thanks
Fin

I had the same problem on a Winchester Model 700 300 winchester magnum rifle I used to own. It turned out that the rings weren't perfectly seating on the scope and I had to have them lapped and aligned. It's very difficult to tell this is happening ( at least it was to me at the time) After I had this done I was able to sight in the rifle properly. I always bore sight my rifles before taking them to the range also. It will give a good idea if the scope is mounted correctly. Prior to learning this I wasted a heck of a lot of ammo. It's worth a try before deciding the scope is the problem. I hope this helps.

do your rings have a mounting screw on both sides of the base??

Warne rings typically don't, I have a set of millet rings that have quite a bit of windage adjustment in the base of the ring

You could use burris signature zee rings, they fit on weaver style bases. And get the offset insert kit, and you'll be able to adjust your windage with them.

Is this rifle new to you or did you have a different scope on it before? If so did you change anything else? Some scopes have more adjustment than others. Either way its best to have the retical as centered in the scope as possible, you'll get the best clarity that way. That's why I like to use windage adjustable rings if necessary.

Russ

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsNo way to say exactly what is wrong, but receivers drilled out of line are pretty common.

Jack

so true......

bigsky,if you were able to visually see the reticle move while adjusting it at home and then not get any movement at the range after firing, i would lean toward a scope failure....current vehicle batteries fail the same way-IME-one instant the engine turns over; next time....silence (except for the muttering).

but i would try another scope or put suspect scope back on its previous rifle.....making sure you re-zero the windage adj.

i think it is a mounting issue as well, it tracks correctly and holds zero. i just dont know waht the mounting issues is, although i have heard that the recievers are drilled out of line as well.

Not sure

You might also check the barrel at the fore end of the stock, I have seen poorly inletted stocks pull the barrel over that much. ed

Last edited:
+1 on Jack Roberts comment. Is it a 700 Rem? I have a couple of them that were not drilled and tapped straight. I used a Leupold windage adjustable base on one and as SuperSeal said the Burris rings with the inserts on the other. I would bet money your receiver is not drilled and tapped straight.

PaPa 260

Big Sky,
I have gone through the same problem with a Weaver and a Mueller Scope. Turns out to be what Jack Roberts said, receiver/base drilling was off a tad. Both scopes held zero and were checked by manufacturer. The cure was buying Burris Signature Zee Rings WITH THE INSERTS that allow for +- .10 to make the corrections up to like 20 inches. The idea is to get to 3" within center X (using/rotating the inserts) and then using the scope adjustments for your final adjustment. Check out Midway USA under Inserts and Shims that also provides an explanation along with what is available.

Back