Marlin 917 V .17 HMR Reviews

6mm06

Recently I purchased a Marlin 917-V, .17 HMR and attached a Center Point 4x16 scope set in Millet rings. Thought I would give a bit of a review.

The action of the rifle is very smooth and it cycles ammo well compared to a previous Marlin .22 magnum I had which sometimes had chambering problems. The rifle has a blued finish.

The trigger of this rifle is a bit heavy, though very manageable. I haven't measured the trigger pull yet. After a bit of shooting and breaking in both the rifle and myself, I began to learn the trigger and had no problems shooting tight groups.

The rifle has a 22" heavy varmint barrel and a thumbhole laminated stock. Overall length is 41". The weight of the rifle, according to Marlin specs is 7#.

Accessories included in the box were two magazines, a 4-shot and a 7-shot. A gun lock was also provided.

The Center Point scope is an attractive one. I've barely begun to use it, but so far I like it considering is modest price and for my intended purpose of use on a rimfire. It is a 4x16 illuminated mil-dot reticle with both red and green. It has target-style turrents that are graduated, though I have doubts of it's preciseness for making in-field adjustments. It also has parralax adjustment and the scope came with flip-up lens caps, and has a quick-focus eye piece. So far the scope is holding zero well.

I tried a variety of ammo, and this rifle seems to prefer the Hornady 17 gr. V-Max. My shooting range is 94 yards and not quite 100. I fired from a solid bench with a good forearm rest and rear sandbag.

Cropped.jpg

MarlinHMR04.jpg

I fired 7 shots at 94 yards. Overall group was 1.365", with 5 shots going .430" and 6 shots
at .820". A dime would about cover the five shots, and a nickle would more than cover them.

Marlin17HMRTarget.jpg

Marlin17HMRTarget2.jpg

Recently I put the rifle / scope / ammo combination to the test on some crows in my
lower forty. One crow was shot at approximately 50 yards and the other was taken at
about 75 yards. The latter one showed the real effects of a V-Max bullet. It's amazing
what a little 17 gr. bullet can do.

02-3.jpg

03-3.jpg

The .17 HMR is a fine crow-sniping round and one that I dearly love for that purpose. I also
used a CZ HMR this past summer for shooting groundhogs, where the cartrige was fantastic
to over 100 yards, making head shots a breeze. The accuracy and flat trajectory of the .17 HMR
cartridge still continues to amaze me every time I shoot it. In my opinion, it's the greatest
thing since sliced bread when it comes to small varmints.

Thanks for the review. I am currently looking for a skunk gun to hunt the hay field at night and my .223 just echoes to much through the valley. What do you think of the noise?

Chupa

The .17 HMR is not really quiet, but it's definitely not as loud as a .223. The HMR is a bit louder than a standard 22 lr.

I have a Marlin 917v, standard stock though.
I put the same scope on it.
Its a great gun and I have taken p-dogs to 300yds with it last year, took a bit of ranging but once I had it dailed in they were dropping pretty good. I had no wind that day for once. Its a perfect 150 yds small varmint gun.
I even got a triple at 120 yds with it.
I have shot groups like yours, a nickle will cover 5 shots and sometimes a dime at 100 yds.

Nice write-up.
If you drop a RifleBasix trigger in it, you'll shrink those groups.

Here's a couple from mine. 96 yds on the left, 50 yds on the right. Both 7 shot groups of 20 gr XTP:

p1010001l.jpg

Great review, I have that same rifle and love it.Didn't think I'd like the thumb hole stock but that changed.

I have that exact rifle except I got a Mueller APV scope on mine but feel the same way you do bout it I love it! sweet shootin lil gun the local prarie dogs dont agree though
smile.gif

Great review and some really nice shooting on the crows & the targets. I really enjoy the thumbhole stocks. Makes for a really nice sturdy hold on the rifle. Thanks for taking the time to write this review.

Eric

I had a RifleBasix trigger in a .22 mag once before, but couldn't seem to get the travel out of it. It was very problematic with adjustment. While it did have an easier pull, it had quite a bit of creep from time to time. Maybe it was just my particlar trigger that had problems.

I have the 917 in the standard stock. I love the way it shoots. Wish I could get the 20 grainers to shoot like the ones above. What works best for me is the fed 17 gr plastic tipped vmax.

I'm amazed at the variation in accuracy between the different brands of ammo. Specially since they are all supposedly made at the same place!

Once I settled on the ammo, I put a straight 4X32 on mine. Never a thought about focus, etc. Works fine in that my shooting is pretty much 200 yards and under.

These little guns are worthy of the fancy stock! Might have to put one under mine.

Longcruise,

I too like the 20 gr. bullets. I have a CZ 452 Amreican that shoots the CCI 20 gr. Game Point really well.

The Marlin in this topic just doesn't seem to like that one as well as the 17 gr. Hornadys, so I feed it what it likes.

The HMR cartridge is a real pleasure to shoot.

Takem, take it back to walmart and get another one. IF that doesn't work, send it back to centerpoint and they will send you another one.

Back