Best Budget Spotting Scope?

no need to appologize, i shouldnt be being snotty when i posted that someone else was being rude. No need for me to spread any hate and discontent
smile.gif

Fin

Originally Posted By: coyote killaHave you tried the Celestron at 300 yards to view bullet holes in a target? Thanks for any info.

Nope, just 200 yards and you can definitely see bullet holes with no problem.

I checked out the alpens you recommended and I noticed they have very affordable scopes that are fairly well regarded for their quality. I've also noticed that they have BAK4 optics which apparently are top quality. One thing about the leupolds and celstrons I've looked at is that they don't mention the optic quality which makes me suspect it's BAK7. If it was the higher quality I think they would advertise it.

Well after some further research, I've resigned myself to the fact I will have to spend between $400-$500 to get a scope that will do what I want it to do. Thanks everyone for your input, I very much appreciate it.

Take a look at the Nikon Prostaff line. I bought one this past summer and am very pleased with it. I spent alot of time behind it this fall and wasn't disapointed in any way. Get a good tripod that is steady. I think mine is the 16-48 x 65. I did alot of price checking and ended up getting it for around $350.

Thanks for your reply Wyoshooter. Have you ever tried it at 300 yards? I would never use the spotting scope beyond that distance since no club in my area has more than a 300 yard range and I'm not certain of my abilities past that distance nor is there many opportunities in the areas I hunt to make these types of shots.

Basically I'm looking for a unit that you can see bullet holes on targets out to 300 yards. Have you ever done that with the Nikon Prostaff 16-48 x 65 ? Some research I've been doing has led me to believe that a 80 mm objective is needed to see clearly at that range. I don't know if it's true, it's just what I've been reading and I'm certainly no expert. Thanks very much for any info.

From my limited understanding of this term I believe BAK refers to the prism in either binoculars or spotting scopes. Some threads I've been recently reading on a bird watching forum have made me question whether the difference in BAK 4 or BAK 7 is as important as I thought. Today has been quite the learning experience regarding optics ! If you're interested check this out, it seems these bird watchers are quite technical !! http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=156753

Thanks for this advice Curlywoods. You are right, birders are an extremely picky bunch. However their technical knowledge of scopes is indeed impressive. I've learned quite a bit of good information studying their forums.

Originally Posted By: coyote killaThanks for your reply Wyoshooter. Have you ever tried it at 300 yards? I would never use the spotting scope beyond that distance since no club in my area has more than a 300 yard range and I'm not certain of my abilities past that distance nor is there many opportunities in the areas I hunt to make these types of shots.

Basically I'm looking for a unit that you can see bullet holes on targets out to 300 yards. Have you ever done that with the Nikon Prostaff 16-48 x 65 ? Some research I've been doing has led me to believe that a 80 mm objective is needed to see clearly at that range. I don't know if it's true, it's just what I've been reading and I'm certainly no expert. Thanks very much for any info.

I have used this scope at the range as well with no complaints. Bullet holes show up fine, easily seen. At the same time I bought my scope a buddy of mine bought the one with the 80mm objective. It is a little higher power on the low end and top end. I wanted something a little smaller in overall size, so I went with the 65mm. There is a significant difference in the size between the two as well as price. Looking through both scopes side by side I can see no difference in the clarity whatsoever. I think the only advantage would possibly be the light gathering of the 80mm in low light conditions. For target shooting this would not be an issue as far as I can see. I sat many, many mornings and evenings glassing this fall and I had no problem with the 65mm objective letting enough light in. I really like the "built in" case that comes with the Nikon and the retractable sun shade as well. For the money it is a darn nice spotting scope.

Thank you for the information. I apologize if this seems rude, I don't mean it to be, but you didn't actually answer my question. When you've had this scope at the range have you used it to scope bullet holes at 300 yards? I think your answer implied yes, I just want to make certain. Again I'm not trying to be rude, I do appreciate you taking the time to give me advice. Thank you !!

It's okay Curlywoods. I took your advice and have been searching bird forums generally. You were right, these folks know their stuff. They seem to hold the Alpen scopes in pretty high regard. Bigsky Songdogs recommended I look into them early in this thread and I have been. They do give a lot of bang for the buck. Thanks again.

Spotting bullet holes at 300 is iffy even with the best optics. The lighting and mirage are the big factors in that.

Keep in mind;
You will get the best definition with a fixed power eyepiece somewhere between 20 and 25 power. No variable power eyepiece will do as good.

Jack

That's interesting. So many of these spotting scopes are variable with much higher end magnifications than 20-25. Why is it that a lower fixed power provides the best definition? Is there a reason they are not as prevalent if they are superior? Thank you for any info.

Back