Outfitter License???

dcp25

I was wondering what the requirements were for taking people hunting in Texas and you being the guide or outfitter. Do you have to have some sort of license or certificate? Insurance? Just curious.

Good. If you read this Tim its gonna be 300 bucks a night.
lol.gif

Thanks for the info. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as most people on here but I have access to a good chunk of land. My brother-in-law and I were talking about it a few years ago and thought it sounded fun.

Our Game warden claims that if you {the Guide} profits from a guide service that each piece of land he hunts must have a permit as a lease. I think he is full of crap. If you are selling your time and are ridding the landowner of predators or hogs for free you are not technically and agent of the land or landowner ragardless of what you charge for your time.

Skeet Jones would be a good one to ask. I think he is a judge.

Glenn, I think you are right.

The landowner has to keeps a permit to lease his land, but there's nothing about guiding or outfitting.

Plus, this mostly pertains to big game that the state says the landowner is profiting from leasing.

that's exactly what I told the game warden but he kept insisting that I was wrong and he knew what he was talking about. I can tell you this I would fight it to the end if it became an issue for me..

Well me and my dad ran a guide service for 3 years and we charged 250.00 a night or day Unlimted predators and we usally hunted 8 or more hours. We also gave a free hunt to them if they paid and didn't have a shot oppertunity. We provided everything including drinks and snacks except lodging and even a highrack that seated 4. We had a lot of fun and stayed booked every year and some of the smiles on the kids faces were priceless but we stoped guiding this year. Tj and I are trying to focus on our video for now on but it was fun while we did it. Best advice I can give is have lots of fresh country and get ready to see alot of misses and a few great shots as well as make alot of memories and friends. And try and teach your hunters something that can help them be a better predator hunter when they go home and if your one of those guys that is used to killing 90% of what comes in well that % is going to go down becouse most people are trying predator hunting for the first time that's why they hired you that are they just don't get to hunt very often and they would rather pay a guide for a great weekend hunt on alot of fresh country that they don't have time to round up. Hope this helps Skinner

P.S One thing you might check on is your land owners alot of landowners don't mind if you hunt their predators but they do mind if your bringing hunters they don't know on their land and guiding hunts. It's mostly a insurance thing they don't want to be liable for any injurys ect. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Back