Favorite 22-250 Coyote bullet

horsedr

Just strated shooting a Savage predator this year in 22-250 that has quickly become my favorite rifle! I'm going to start some load development this winter for it and was wondering what everyones favorite coyote killing bullet was????? I'm not interested in saving fur; I'm looking for quick humane kills. Thanks!

My Savage Predator likes the following:

55gr Sierra Blitz King, 37.1gr RL15, CCI BR2 primers, OAL to ogive 2.095 = .005 off

3725fps in the 22" Predator barrel.

The last 3 shot group I shot using the above load was .156"

Coyotes can be a very tough animal to kill at times. As often as not, you are having to shoot them while they are moving. For that reason, you often hit them too far back in the rib cage.

Also, Quartering shots (coming and going) means that you need some pretty good penetration to get to the vitals. You often have to shoot through shoulders and hips on quartering shots.

A couple of bullets really do a great job on these tougher jobs, the 55g Sierra BTHP and the 55g Sierra Sp(flat base or Boat Tail).

Also, when predator calling, over the years you may have the surprise of calling in a bear or a Lion, nice to NOT have a plastic tip bullet for these surprises.

my rem 700 sps varmint,really likes the hornady 50gr V-max doing 3800 fps,,worked really well last winter for me on coyotes

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: erickgMy all time favorite, Sierra #1365, 55 grain BTSP, never fails.

I use those and Nosler 55gr BT's in my 22-250 AI. But I have a 6mm wildcat that is getting most of my attention lately.

Having a hard time deciding which I like best.

Originally Posted By: erickgMy all time favorite, Sierra #1365, 55 grain BTSP, never fails. yep. i've tried LOTS of different bullets and hands down, this is the best coyote killer i've found. will never shoot a plastic tip bullet again.

horse doc....i shoot in my 22BR,222rem mag,swift & 22-250 the 50 grain speer TNT....loaded from 3600 to 3800 fps (disregard the old warning of a 3400fps max vel).

i had a double a couple of weeks ago....shot the first female at 42 yds(shoulder) and finally got the second female to stop at 341 yds(neck/shoulder junction)..... leica laser'd....one shot each.....minimal fur damage.

but use whatever shoots the best in your rifle.

A good bullet to also try is James Calhoun's 55gr HP. It was designed to be a coyote bullet not a prarie dog bullet. Check his stuff out on the web it is interesting.

50 grain Sierra Blitzking with some RL15 behind it gets you up to 3900 fps, not the most fur friendly though.
dead20coyote1.jpg

Speer 52gr HP, my load is 34gr of 4064. THIS IS A MAX LOAD, so don't try it at home without REDUCING. My gun shows no pressure signs at all and puts shots into one ragged hole. This has been my load out of my 788 for 25 plus years. Love it! Left is Speer 52gr HP, right is 55gr Nosler Spitzer (lead), they don't make them anymore.

[img:left]http://
IMG_0377.jpg
[/img]

Back