Is there any advantage to the muzzleloader specific primers vs. shotgun 209

LeviSS

I know they market muzzleloader specific 209 primers. I didn't know if there is any difference or if it is all marketing.

check out M.A.X. at www.maxmuzzleloader.com and www.bellmtc.com they are mainly geared towards the T/C Encore but a lot of good info on muzzleloaders. If you use something like Blackhorn 209 it is better to use the shotgun 209 because it is a little hotter and you get a better ignition. Depending on the nipple design of your inline will determine if you can use the shotgun 209 or the muzzleloader 209 primer. I hope some of this helps.

I don't have one yet. I'm looking at the T/C Omega. I'm just trying to get everything straight that I'll need.

Their website says it uses the shotgun primers. Are they not necessarily interchangeable?

Originally Posted By: LeviSSI know they market muzzleloader specific 209 primers. I didn't know if there is any difference or if it is all marketing.

I bought some Remington Kleenbore primers a couple years ago on closeout to try on my T/C Omega. They changed the point of impact enough to warrant readjusting the scope.

My hunting load is a 245 grain XTP over 100 grains of 777(2F) powder and Winchester 209 shotgun primers.

Last edited:
It all depends on what propellant you will be shooting. If you are set up for the newer Blackhorn 209(strongly recommended), you need a HOT primer. The CCI-mag 209 primer & some others work well with B209. You could shoot B209 in an Omega.

If shooting 777 or Pyrodex you could use the special M-L primers. They have a lower flash than standard primers.

Originally Posted By: muskrat30 It all depends on what propellant you will be shooting. If you are set up for the newer Blackhorn 209(strongly recommended), you need a HOT primer. The CCI-mag 209 primer & some others work well with B209. You could shoot B209 in an Omega.

If shooting 777 or Pyrodex you could use the special M-L primers. They have a lower flash than standard primers.

Do you shoot an Omega with the Blackhorn powder? If so, what load combos have you found to be most accurate? Been thinking about switching over for next year as my supply of 777 is about gone.

My buddy has an Omega, I'm more a Knight guy. He shoots 110-120 grains of B209,250grn SST(Shockwave) & a CCIM primer. be sure to seat the sabot on the powder firmly & you should be fine with ignition,keep things clean too.

From my understanding, a shotgun 209 primers is "hotter" than the muzzle loading primer.

With that, depending on your powder/projectile choice, it could cause problems with ignition, pressure and/or accuracy.

I know this isn't what you asked, but if you go with the Thompson Center I recomend that you look at the 25acp conversion. After switching to the 25acp in my Omega I will never go back to the 209 primer.

I just switched to BH 209 and in my Omega and 100 grs. by VOLUME works well,with both Hornady 250sst's and barnes spitfires which I prefer. You don't gain all that much by going heavier on the charge. I do need to get some regular 209 primers cause I have had a couple slight hang fires, kinda like shooting a flinter.

Back