My sons first coyote and more!

strobel31

The first few pictures are some action shots from my son Garrett’s first coyote! I first spotted this one at about 1000 yards and as soon as I could get Garrett's attention Wiley, (girls name in this case), was about 200 yards out and coming hard. Mind you all I am armed with is my camera on this stand! She came at us like she hadn't eaten in a month of Sundays and wasn't about to stop until she got breakfast. She hit the spot where we had the call set up and AJ, my friend Tom's son(Tombo on PM), threw shot #1 right behind her. With no hesitation little miss “I'm so hungry” wasn't so hungry any more and was pickin em up and puttin em down straight at me. That's the end of the sequence of pictures. Right then I was trying to figure what to do and how to get it done. Well let me tell you right now, some things totally involuntary were happening that weren't very pleasant. While I was trying to figure out whether to get up and yell or just get the heck out of her way, I'm sure she had to smell what was going on. Bang! Shot #2, Tom slowed her down and then Boom, Garrett lowered the curtain. Thank you Jesus, not to mention the rest of the gang this one was over! When I stepped her off, 32 steps was all that separated us. All in all I didn't feel so bad, upon examination I discovered that she had fowled herself too, so I guess we’re even!
coyote3-14-09013.jpg

coyote3-14-09014.jpg

coyote3-14-09018.jpg

coyote3-14-09019.jpg

coyote3-14-09020.jpg

coyote3-14-09021.jpg

coyote3-14-09024.jpg

#2 for the day wasn't nearly as exciting, and no pictures of the action, just the results. 300+ yards 1 shot! I was out of clean clothes so I wasn't about to take any chances on this one!
coyote3-14-09025.jpg

coyote3-14-09026.jpg

#3 was exciting but in a different way. We had setup on a little hill for the last set of the day and I just happened to see this dog walk in and lay down for a nap next to a yucca plant. We wanted to get AJ his first coyote too, so we put on a stalk. This one laid down somewhere between 800 and 1000 yards from where we were. I stayed where we had set up and moved Tom and AJ in between the coyote and myself, so I could keep an eye on her and make sure she didn't leave. That crazy critter just laid there taking an afternoon nap and we moved to within 200 yards and set up. AJ said he saw her and took a shot. Well darn, he missed and then the lead started flying and this old girl wasn't waiting around to see where it was hitting! I'm not sure, but I don't think she was too impressed that we shortened her Saturday evening nap, and she was heading somewhere else in a hurry. Tom rattled off a couple shots then me then Tom again and somewhere in all the commotion she was down. The boys went to take a look and pay their respects and I headed back to get the vehicle when I heard another shot and then another. When I finally got to where they were I could see that this poor ole coyote finally got her wish, she was now able to Rest In Peace!
coyote3-14-09030.jpg

Thanks to Garrett, Tom, AJ and the land owners, Francis and Kenny Rogers for such a memorable day. And thanks to all of you for putting up with my rambling.

Thanks for the write up of our Saturday hunt!
The check will be in the mail to cover the guide fees! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That's a great write-up with excellents photos... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Sounds like a kind of hunt you'll remember for a long time!

Wait! I know one of those guys in that bottom pic! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

How's it going Tombo? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barry

Great job and cool pics. I am glad to hear that some of those cool Colorado dogs got their tails kicked by you boys!

Oh yeah, need any of us on PM to donate some choneys or bleach or other solvents to help you get up and running again??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Man! That was just a pleasure to read and view. You guys made some good memory's. Really good action shots. That coyote had er skinned back in the wind.

Back