Oppinions on Hound hunters

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRT DAN

I started out my coyote hunting riding in the truck with a group of gentlemen who ran hounds. Granted this type of hunting is frowned upon by some callers and hunters, after I started calling a few years ago I'm never going back to the hound hunting IMO it isn't an ethical way of hunting. Riding around in a warm pickup chatting on a two way radio with ten other guys chasing a coyote miles across the county and shooting the coyote when he is bayed or exhausted doesn't give him much of a sporting chance. I've been on both sides of the fence, granted its a great way to eradicate coyotes but a way of hunting it is not. I am not a coyote lover or animal rights activist but just like give my quarry a sporting chance.

I agree on making hunting sporting, but i have never hutned coyotes with hounds so i will withhold any judgement on it since i am uninformed. Although i see the decoy dogs some callers use, and that looks pretty cool.

I think the same argument could be made on both sides of the baiting/food plot debate. To each thier own i guess if it is legal.

As with anything, im sure there are people that do it ethically and put the work in, and some that take the easy route, as long as its fair chase, you make an ethical shot, etc its hard to pass judgement on it.

Good topic though
Fin

I've hunted coyotes with hounds for many years. It's a traditional way of hunting. May not be favored by callers, but it's roots are deep in American and English history. I enjoy both.

Tony

I've also heard of people using greyhounds in Kansas and other areas and seen video of how fast they can run down a coyote.Granted Kansas has a ton of them but a great hunting area can be hammered "coyote free" in just a few visits by a group of hunters. I know landowners want them and need them gone to protect their investments. I personally have dealt with hounds running through my setups while out calling and just decide to pack up and try another area where there are fewer roads and hound hunters.

I think it's a great way of hunting. Hunting with dogs has been a way of life for some people for centuries and I also enjoy hunting with dogs. If we wanna compare apples to apples you should jump on the bird dog guys too. It's alot easier to hunt birds with dogs too!! I will never live a day without dogs and will hunt em' til I die, legal or not!!

to each there own. they took coyote dog hunting away in our state. the Game department said it was unethical. now there working on night hunting. sooner or later bowhunting. they will keep chipping away. Rick

I don't know that I would hunt with hounds. And if others do I'm ok with it.

I do feel a similar way about Cougar/ML hunting, however. Cutting a track then shooting a big cat out of a tree isn't really sporting to me. I do, however, recognize the big cats are dangerous and that's probably the best way to do it. I don't begrudge others their way of hunting.

It's a mixed bag. To each his own.

First I'll say I've never hunted with hounds and I'm not sure if I would enjoy it if offered a chance to go.

Now that I've said that I would never say its unethical. Its just probably not for me. If someone wants to take me out and show me the ropes I wouldn't turn them down.

Think of all the prep work us callers put into our sport. I can't imagine training and taking care of all the dogs, providing gps collars for them, providing transport cages for trucks and trailers, etc. I have a lot of respect for hound hunters even though I've never personally gone and doubt it would be something I could get too involved in.

If you want to hunt with dogs go ahead. I'm not gonna look down my nose at you while I'm hiding in a bush with a rifle and a caller.

I guess lots of people will look at this in different ways. Im from the school, that when I Hunt.. Im Hunting. When I see the shows on TV that show Mountain lions getting shot out of trees after being chased by dogs, it doesent "at least to me" look like the hunter had much to do with it. The Credit should go to the Dogs and the Trainer. However they have Hunted Coons and lots of other animals this way for years and years. Now Feeding the animals to harvest them at a later date is not my cup of tea. Nor is Paying someone to come and shoot a throphy that has been fenced in. Thats not the way I view hunting. Everyone looks at things differently.
If its legal, hunt the way your concience tells you to.
thumbup1.gif

Hunting coyote with hounds here in the East is different, I briefly ran yotes with hounds early this decade I had 3 hounds and a lot of stamina, I walked and walked and walked, no trucks or ATVs. My sucess rate was about 10%, a really difficult sport and very very sporting. I wish I had the time to do it again...

My opinion is that I think it is great except for one thing. I would make it illegal to put a GPS system on a Hound. This leads to a lot of trespass on other peoples property, although it could be agued either way. I am against using gadgets such as a GPS or any kind of tracking system other than your ears to track the hounds.

I like to hunt with a good dog.I've had hounds for fox and coyote hunting, labs for bird hunting.
The only problem I have is most houndsman running coyotes in my area are TRESPASSERS. We see it all the time.
One houndsman told me "dogs can't read no hunting signs "
and I told him that he should control his dogs.

John

I agree with you. I'd rather call in a mountain lion than see it treed by dogs and shot out of a tree but what are the odds of calling in a lion? Pretty slim for sure.

If hunting with dogs is taken away it just makes it a little easier to take something away that you and I actually enjoy. Even though I don't personally hunt with dogs doesn't mean I don't want you to. They are an excellent way to hunt hogs.

As far as the high fenced ranches, I wouldn't call them an unethical way of hunting. If someone works in town and doesn't have time to go out and do all the scouting and work that goes into hunting wild game and just wants to harvest an animal it is a viable option. If someone wants to come take a shot at a cow or horse on my ranch in Texas a price can be arranged and you can put some meat in the freezer.
thumbup1.gif

I too hunt with a dog for birds, and until someone pointed it out i didn't think about it, but reall what the difference,

Oneryoldfart357, i like the way you put that- if its legal, hunt the way your conscience tells you to.

Fin

Why would gps tracking lead to increased trespass? If anything
it cuts down on it because you can get ahead of the dogs and cut them off. Thats one of the main things I use it for.

GPS and other tracking collars are a great way to retrieve a hound you have spent hundreds of hours training as well as a hound that is considered part of the family. I have rescued hounds from pits, swamps, traps, etc.

I only went once and had a blast. About 15 miles in blustery weather and we were just happy to get the hound back. Making yourself the hound(pushing) I've got a lot of experience with and it's a great way to stay in shape.

The unethical comment ain't right.

Originally Posted By: nmleonIt's a legal method of hunting. Nuff said.

I think this says enough and we shouldn't be bashing any other forms of HUNTING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back