Tumbler Media

DOGMAN243

Just wondering what kinda media you guys are using in your tumblers. I currently am using treated lyman corn media and having alot of trouble with it sticking in primer pockets and flash holes. On both large and small primer pockets. Would walnut be better to use? Thanks in advance

I have had trouble with both kinds sticking in the flash holes. Hard to get out sometimes aint it? I just polish now and decap later if I am using a vibrating tumbler. If I really want to clean my brass inside and out I use my Thumbler's Tumbler that uses stainless steel media. Not only does your brass look like new inside and out, but nothing to dam up the flash hole. Plus, the media never wears out either.

yeah especially in the small primer pockets! Found that using a air compressor with one of those rubber cone tips works to blow it out but just takes a while is all. Where could a guy find some fine grind media that wont stick?

Dogman243, I've been using the Lyman red media for years and have the green for really dirty brass that I use first if needed,,,

Out of 100 cases, I may have 15 with media in the priimer pockets and use an old WW2 laundry oversized safety pin to pop them out...Takes about five minutes...I figure that for the cleaning ability of the media, it's a fair trade...

My brass separator does a pretty good job of dislodging the media from the brass, it's just a matter of a few extra turns of the basket..

I just use some wire or a allen wrench that fits inside the flash hole and poke it out from the inside. I did find some bigger corn cob media at Wal-mart in the pet section I thought I may try some later.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtle
My brass separator does a pretty good job of dislodging the media from the brass, it's just a matter of a few extra turns of the basket..

That's the best thing that I've found (outside of the safety pin usage). Even MORE than a few turns is still better than picking the dang stuff out of there. And don't be afraid to spin the separator in a ... well ... "brisk" manner.
wink.gif

Corn cob is for polishing, walnut is for cleaning. Seems to be lost on this
new generation. Lyman's colored stuff is a mess. Stay with natural walnut
that measures .010 to .015 , add your own polish (like frankford arsenal)
and kiss your troubles goodbye.

keep em coming. sounds like i may just have to get a separator. I just usually pick the brass out of tumbler and then knock a couple cases at a time together to get it out of the inside, but maybe the separators action would loosen up the media in the primer pockets.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleDogman243, I've been using the Lyman red media for years and have the green for really dirty brass that I use first if needed,,,

Out of 100 cases, I may have 15 with media in the priimer pockets and use an old WW2 laundry oversized safety pin to pop them out...Takes about five minutes...I figure that for the cleaning ability of the media, it's a fair trade...

My brass separator does a pretty good job of dislodging the media from the brass, it's just a matter of a few extra turns of the basket.. Yeah its about 15-20% of cases just thought maybe some diff brand i havent heard of or tryed

Bought my Vibrating tumbler from Midway Many many a year ago along with a bucket ( 2-1/2 - 3 Gallon )of Walnut media( quite fine ) I do not add any additive to mine and have never had a problem with media sticking in the flash hole. I do check every flash hole to make sure it is not plugged. I am still on the second bowl full of media.

Loading cases that take LR primers and cases that take SR primers.

I think since I do not add an additive too the media is why I don't have a problem with media in the flash hole.

I deprime cases before they get tumbled.

DAB

Last edited:
I dont add to much Additive to the walnut media! and I just pick a couple cases out of the tumbler while it is running and hold them neck down against the threaded rod and it vibrates the media out of the casing and primer pockets only takes a couple secounds for 2 or 3 casings.. then i have a Small rounds file that i push through the flash holes to remove any media in them which is not very many..

Originally Posted By: reddog964I dont add to much Additive to the walnut media! and I just pick a couple cases out of the tumbler while it is running and hold them neck down against the threaded rod and it vibrates the media out of the casing and primer pockets only takes a couple secounds for 2 or 3 casings.. then i have a Small rounds file that i push through the flash holes to remove any media in them which is not very many.. Does it mar or damage the brass at all by doing this?

I have never had a problem with media getting stuck in primer pockets. I polish the brass prior to de-priming.

I polish
de-prime/size and prime
Trim
Load.

Originally Posted By: DOGMAN243Originally Posted By: reddog964I dont add to much Additive to the walnut media! and I just pick a couple cases out of the tumbler while it is running and hold them neck down against the threaded rod and it vibrates the media out of the casing and primer pockets only takes a couple secounds for 2 or 3 casings.. then i have a Small rounds file that i push through the flash holes to remove any media in them which is not very many.. Does it mar or damage the brass at all by doing this?

Nope! it does not do anything to the finish of the brass....

Originally Posted By: reddog964I dont add to much Additive to the walnut media! and I just pick a couple cases out of the tumbler while it is running and hold them neck down against the threaded rod and it vibrates the media out of the casing and primer pockets only takes a couple secounds for 2 or 3 casings.. then i have a Small rounds file that i push through the flash holes to remove any media in them which is not very many..

I do basically the same, just on the bowl.

DAB

Thanks guys think im going to try some un treated stuff once and see if it makes a difference. I just giot done tumbling a bunch of 204 brass and just about everyone had media stuck in primer pocket and everyone has it stuck in flash hole.

Vibration got the media in the flash hole, and can also get most of it out. I set my seperator on top of the tumbler I run my fingers through it as its vibrating, and most all comes out. As I clean the primer pockets I just look to make sure they are clear prior to seating the primer. It works pretty well.

I tumble the brass to get the goo off the case from resizing it....for those of you who tumble first, how do you get the sizing lube off?

Back