Getting started, Re-evaluating everything...., Q's, see last post.

2FunKids

Ok, I am a total newbie, but very excited to try this out. I have been hunting a farm for years out here in Southern Michigan, but not for Coyote. The last couple of years I have been wondering where all the deer are...Well a couple of nights ago at 3am, we were woke up by a pack of coyotes outside my window. It sounded like they were tearing up something within 100ft. We Guessed by the sounds that there were up to 10 of them. I am in the woods 500 ft off the road. The adjacent farm is 100 acres and adjacent to a Chicken farm...We have lots of farm roads connecting the farms. So, My interest is peaking in Trapping these Yotes. maybe I am diving in too deep, but for sure, we have them around so I am hoping I won't be skunked.... My Neighbor on the other side of the farm has been seeing them near the farm roads connecting the farms. So, can you guys help guide me through this process.....I will be waiting until deer season slows down to start trapping. Yesterday I placed an order for what I think should get me started. What else do I need....here is my list of items I ordered. I have yet to understand how to make the traps usable. My Neighbor walks her dog around the farm every night, and she is carrying pepper spray becuase she is so paranoid of these yotes..It seems at times we have two packs sounding off back and forth..just after dusk

Item List
----------------------------------------------------
(3) $15.50 #3 Bridger Coil Spring Trap (4 Coiled/Offset Jaws) - Each

(1) $1.50 Standard 3/16" J-Hooks - Dozen

(3) $2.50 J.C Conner's T-Bar Shock Springs - Each

(1) $1.50 Mighty Hooks - Dozen

(1) $2.25 Flake Anti-Freeze - 1 lb.

(1) $7.95 Standard Metal Sifter

(1) $5.50 Caven's Hiawatha Valley Predator Bait - One 9 oz. Jar

(1) $5.00 Lenon's Coyote #1 Super All Call Lure - 1 oz.

(1) $12.95 Standard Berkshire Disposable Stakes w/15" Cable (Dozen)

(1) $3.95 Berkshire Disposable Stake Driver

(3) $1.25 Bridger D-Ring Base Plate Kit #3 - Each

So what do you all think? What else is a must have before I set my first trap?

Last edited:
trap wax, i wax all my traps after I boil them in sagebrush water first-course you probably don't have sagebrush there, so boil them in a least water first to get the oil off

big hammer with digging end, always need to pound stuff in the ground or dig it up

urine, can't be a trapper if you and your rig don't smell like coyote, bobcat, fox pee
thumbup.gif

patence and a since of adventure, coyotes are a challenge

Ok, I will pick up some wax and Urine. Thanks for the advice. I just unpacked the box and I am wondering about two things. First the base plates with D-Ring, should I just wire weld the edges and end? Do I have to worry about warping the steel? Secondly, to attach my disposable pound in cables, do you all just use a link that has the screw type nut that closes it? Is there a preferred method to attach these Lastly, I purchased some shock springs so what I thought I would do is attach the spring to the stock chain using the Swivel J hook and bend it closed. On the other end of the spring, I thought I would go to the hardware store and pick up some type of quick closing link. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type of quick connect to use for the disposable steaks?

Use quick links to attach to the cable stake.The ones with the threads.Snug it a little bit with plyers.You can also use a J hook to attach.I prefer the bullet stakes to the Berkshire.If you have any rocky ground you will find out why. Get some bone dry dirt.A little late but some can be found under bridges,in barns etc...You really need to adjust those traps too.The bolt in the bridger is too small.You can use them but I suggest you nite latch the pan then for excess creep or side wobble.Bacically you file a little notch in the middle of the existing pan to create a step.When you pull down you will then hear a click.I know I know what you should of ordered were 3 MJ sterling 600s.Ready to go outta the box and come waxed!! Oh yea the yotes will tear those dogs right off your traps so you better have a few spares.Best of luck to you! The animals will teach you much.

Great info..tonight I got the Backer plate with d ring welded on, shock springs installed on the 4th link from the trap and a good 8 or so inches of chain after the shock spring for the clasp. I have 2 swivels per trap. So to set the tension I understand I can just tighten the pan mounting screw to create some desired friction? The last thing I want to do is end up getting my daughters cat....then I wouldn't have 2FunKids!! I don't understand the notching..if you think it will really help me out, can you post a picture? Tomorrow I will boil the traps and get the clasps.. I might weld up a little digger.

Thanks Y'all..I feel like part of the pack..LOL. Anyone in SW Michigan want to help me set my first couple traps?

If you are going after yotes, and want quick results, then you need something not on the list. You need to get out and scout, and everywhere you want to put a set, you need to spit, urinate, and do everything else you can to get the yotes in the area, used to you being there also. Aside from this, my advice is to start each and every set with a flat set. By doing this, you can always make a dirt hole later in a trap circle, but if you start with a dirt hole, it will always be a dirt hole. On your flat sets, use Tim Caven's Gusto lure. It is very hard to beat for a long distance lure. I wouldn't use cable stakes, I use chain stakes. Cable stakes can be chewed in half by a yote, and then off with your trap. The Berkshires will also fold up if pulled against too hard. We use super stake ends (bullet ends) because they won't fold. But the biggest part is to have fun.

Don't worry about the wax the first year. Put your traps straight to ground and let nature rust them through the trapping season, then wax them next year.

Don't set your pan tension for yotes only, unless you only want yotes. If you want other possibilities, set the tension as light as possible without the trap self firing. The reasoning behind this, is that you don't want to miss any skunks when "yoting". Causing a skunk to spray the set when you dispatch it, will cause curiosity among yotes and cats which will draw them to your sets for just about as long as you stir the dirt, and therefore saves on lure use.

Good luck.

Last edited:
If your trapping season overlaps your deer season, trap that gut pile. It would be a great place to start looking for yotes. Good luck and welcome to trapping

Thanks, I am learning a lot! I built a trowel today and it turned out pretty good. I will get out there this weekend to get em going on my scent. For now, I will double up on the cable stakes and hope they hold. I will get some Cavens and get ready...On my next order I will pick up some bullet stays, How do you use chain stakes? Do you pull them when you are done or leave them?

Also, What is the definition of a trap circle? Is it the area that any trapped animal can reach after being trapped?

The one thing I am worried about is getting my hand in the trap when setting it.

Sometimes I pull the stakes, sometimes I leave them. This depends on whether or not I drive them through rock. The trap circle is the ground area the animal can reach while caught.

Look at the ground in the picture, and you will see part of the trap circle. It's the part that looks like dirt and debris. You will see the "greenery" boundary in the picture, which is the edge of the trap circle.

100_3751.jpg

I shouldn't have any problems trapping most anywhere I want..to the North of me someone who has pet reindeer just lost one to yotes...and my Dad who is 1/2 mile to the south of me said tonight that his little Maltise wouldn't go out tonight because of the yotes making lots of noise. The neighbor to the West is worried about walking...

I have a spot picked out...on the west country block road there is a chicken farm. The field is open all the way to the easterly back woods line that is adjacent to the 100 acre farm I posted about before. On this woodline there are two farm roads heading through the woods and into the my neighbors farm roads. One road enters the woods near the south corner and one enters the woods on the north corner. The wind is prevailing into these roads going through the woods. So my question is, should I set up just to the west of these inlet roads so the scent is blowing into the roads carrying the scent or would it be better to set up on the roads Google map satellite view The chicken farm is easy to spot, the farm to the east of me is the farm with the tan sand mixed in (he doesn't rotate his crops). between this farm and the turkey farm is a rectangle of clover planted in the middle of a larger field and the rectangle shape is longer North to South and on the south west corner (botttom left) of this is the path that leads to the back of the chicken farm. There have beeen sightings There from the house directly to the North of this clover plot. This is where my nieghbor that walks the farm lives. I am in the woods near "A" and you can see see the house in the woods and you can see the blue from the backyard pool. Off of Crane road, my dad is hearing them and further up Moe road (to the north) is where the reindeer was taken. We heard them at my house "A" last weekend. I wish I could mark up the map to show you more detail. I am on a ridge that runs from my house along the front edge of the wooded line. From the wooded line to the West it gets flatter and about a 1/4 mile to the west of the chicken farm runs the Thornapple river and it goes North to South.

Last edited:
As far as getting you hand caught- Its going to happen sooner or later, and it will smart and it will make you jump-kinda like what happens to the coyote I guess. But it shouldn't leave any "lasting marks". I catch myself at least once a season. Makes you more careful the next few sets.

Just be thankful for the size trap you are using, my brother in law got both hands caught in a four coil wolf trap last year. Its a good thing he had someone there to help get him out.

Well, its good to know it shouldn't break my hand..LOL..

So this morning I harvested some venison and had the gut pile left over so I figured today would be a good day to put out my first three and after doing so I have some questions

So, my first question is, when packing in the trap, how much should I pack on the inside of the jaws over the springs. On the first set, I packed around the outside, put a few broad leaves over the pan and sifted dirt over the top and packed it lightly around the pan.

The first set was made as a flat set, crossed 4"dia debris logs 8" in front of the set. Lure and bait was used directly in front of the back in a little hole.

For the second set, I used wax paper. This set was done with a gut pile as the backer. This time I packed a little around the inside too, then I put wax paper over it, sifted and packed again. I think this one turned out better.

I went home and found that I recieved the Cavens Gusto lure and an aluminum set tool that guards the pan from being tripped so I went back out to do the last one. I placed it over the pan, packed everything around it, pulled it off and the dirt was right up to but not under the pan. Then, I put wax paper over it and sifted.. This time I used two small holes one to the right and one to the left of the backer and I put the gusto lure on the backer that was crossed logs.

Now for my last question. For you that have used gusto lure, all I can say is that the mail lady must not be happy. My wife pulled up to the mailbox to find my delivery on top of the box and when she pulled the car up she thought that a skunk sprayed. 3 freezer bags deep and this stuff is still stinking up my garage. What do you all keep this stuff in? Should I keep these baits and lures refrigerated? I ended up putting the bait in a mason jar and I think I better light some candles because the house is smelling like this stuff...WOW..This is for sure different than all the rest of the lures.. I wasn't sure how to use it so I just drizzled a small amount on the backer. What is the proper way to use this lure that has this skunk smell?

I wonder if I will have anything tomorrow...

you pack all around the trap inside and out. make sure the trap doesn't move, do a 4 point push test. after packing, push on both levers and both jaws to make sure they dont move. if its tight, its good to go.

as for the lure and bait, if I am using a skunk lure, I want it high, get it up so the wind will carry it a good ways. if its to strong at the set, they will stay away from it til it dies down.

as for usin a gut pile for bait, you'll have a skunk or possum waitin for ya.

now for storage of your Gusto. get you a container with a lid and put dirt in it, put your bottle of gusto in the dirt and cover it with dirt, then place on the lid, that will help kill some of the smell.

now for the set,

a flat set doesn't have a backing. a dirt hole does. but its ok you have the idea of what needs done. good luck and happy trappin.

So I just checked the sets today. I had three set, one over a gut pile, one with lure and coyote bait and one with a skunk (gusto) and attractant and lure and bait.

Set one at gut pile; it was dug up...The guts were left alone, I couldn't find tracks and the trap was tripped. I reset it. This is the one that had wax paper over the pan. Why are traps dug up? Based on the size of the hole, whatever dug it up had short front legs becuase the hole was not very large around and it has pretty steep sides. Unlike a Canine hole that is elongated. This one was pretty conical shaped. Any guesses?

Set two, the one with the skunk (gusto); not touched but I think I used too much...

Set three, set with Lure and coyot bait, this one had a possum in it and this brings me to a question. When something like a Coon or Possum is trapped what does the majority of you all do?
I guess I could A, find someone I can bring the fur to fund my trapping and make use of the animal, B, let it go, or C, Dispatch it...What do you do? That possum was walking pretty slow and I am not sure if he will make it. Felt kinda bad about that. Is it better to put it away so it doesn't suffer or should it be let go in hopes it can survive? Here in Michigan it is legal to use small game as bait if lawfully taken, so is it a good idea to leave it near the trap to bring Yotes in?

Thanks for all the tips!

About the possums, last year I caught a few and just let them go. They seemed fine, the only difference I see is that I caught them in 1 1/2's and your using bigger traps. I'm sure yout possum was fine, just a little numb. Just my 2 cents.

the grinner will be fine, they are slow animals anyways. now hate to say it, but you should move the set that got the possums and change traps. the gutpile, could have been anything, coon will dig up a trap and flip it over then still the bait if the trap isnt bedded solid.

Well, we had 1 catch out of three nights so far and the grinner was it. Today it is raining Very Very hard and the kids and I went out on the quad and added some lure and scent to the sets without the gut pile. I am not sure what to do when it rains?? Tonight is a warm rain, actually quite comfortable to be out there even though it was coming down pretty hard. I didn't realize how much the kids 9 and 11 would enjoy this. They stay on the quad and hold the light when I check things out. Does the rain help and should I be refreshing the bait before or after a rain? Do the yotes still move in the rain?

Back