possible good loads to try for CZ 527 Varmint in .204 Thanks!

p5200

I realize every individual gun is different but, I thought maybe someone might have some general suggestions on some powders, bullets, and charges that have worked good on this particular rifle for some of you. I'm more interested in accuracy. The powders I have right now are Varget and Benchmark. I have some 35gr. Bergers and Sierra BK. 39gr. bullets All advice is welcome. Thanks!
smile.gif

Last edited:
I've been real impressed with Benchmark powder in 2 204's.

Anywhere from 26.0 to a max of say 26.6 of Benchmark with 35 Bergers should come together for you.

25.1-25.4 of Benchmark with 39 BlitzKings.

27.0-27.4 (or maybe a little more) with the 32 BK's.

I've been going 2.240-2.260 on the 35's, and 2.695 on BK's, but that is just works in my gun. I would just stick to book COL's to begin with and watch where your POI's go when varying charge weights in .1 increments. The 204's are very touchy - it will definitely let you know what it does and doesn't like!

So far I have had the best luck with TAC and N140 using Sierra 32's in my HOWA. Tried some Berger 40's but my gun didn't like em. I also have a batch of test loads to try using R10X. These are all with WW brass, and Rem 7-1/2 primers..

Here's the link to 204 Ruger.com which has load data all in one spot.

204 Ruger.com

Last edited:
You might slip over to the RugerHunting.com site.. There are a bunch of loads that have been used with those powders for the .204.... I've switched to X-Terminator and TAC for most of my rifle cartridges as it meters easier than the extruded powders..

I had great luck with both the 40gr bergers and 35's in my 527 varmint I would have to say the 40's with benchmark where the best performers accuracy wise and clean kills on yotes. I was using Fed Match primers. Good luck they are a fantastic gun. I was getting to many splashes on yotes with the 39gr Blitzkings to be happy with them although they did shoot fantastic with BLC-2

I have two CZ'z in .204. One is the sporter and the other is their varmint model. I shoot 35 grain Bergers out of the sporter with 28.2 grains of H4895 at 3850 fps and the varmint model I shoot the 40 grain Berger with the same load of 28.2 grains of H4895, (THIS LOAD IS OVER THE LISTED MAX! IT'S SAFE IN MY GUN BUT WORK UP SLOWLY IN YOURS) I get just over 3800 fps with this load out of the 24" barrel on the varmint model. Both guns are super accurate with many groups going into the .2's and .3's. These are my favorite coyote guns.

Reloader 10x is another good powder for 204. 26.0-26.4, somewhere in this range with the 32 BlitzKings might just work for you. Again, I usually keep my BK's out around 2.295. I am also loading with Rem 7 1/2 BR primers, always.

Another powder that I don't has been mentioned is H322. I've used it a lot in my 527 and its performed nicely. I've also used IMR4895 and R10X and they both seem to put up nice groups. However the IMR4895 is somewhat course grained and may not want to flow freely into the small 20 cal mouth. It can and will occasionally "bridge" if your not careful. I mostly shoot 35 Bergers, 39 Sierra's and 34 grn Midway/Midsouth bullets. For cheap shooting you may want to look into those. Anyhow have fun. The 527 204 is a fine little gun. Dave

I think the most accurate load I have tried was the Sierra 32 grain blitz-king over 27.6 grains of benchmark. I shoot mostly 32 grain nosler BTs or 39 grain sierra BKs for their better balistic-coeficient.

Originally Posted By: sbrandenReloader 10x is another good powder for 204. 26.0-26.4, somewhere in this range with the 32 BlitzKings might just work for you. Again, I usually keep my BK's out around 2.295. I am also loading with Rem 7 1/2 BR primers, always. Do you have to load your 2.295" rounds by hand? I don't think they will fit in my,mag. But, if they are more accurate I don't mind loading by hand. Thanks!
smile.gif

I recently got my 204 back out (rem 700) and loaded up some 45 grain sp hornady's that had been sitting around for a while. I was very pleasantly suprised with the results because I had seen several mixed opinions on their accuracy and was not sure what to expect.

204Ruger45grainsptarget.jpg

The shot holes with with arrows are scope adjustment shots and not part of a group. The h4895 did especially well, but it also does real well with the 40 grain bullets for me.

I do like reloader 10 and varget in the lighter projectiles, but the h4895 works very well also.

Last edited:
After the paper trial, it was time to test on game.
This crow presented opportunity at about 75 yards. Might as well make the shot interesting.

Photo deleted after better judgement about graphic pics.

Last edited:
p5200, the answer is 'no' - 32BK's or 39BK's either one set to a COL of 2.295", have worked fine in a Ruger and Savage, and I've been out as far as 2.280 with a Rem Model 7 so far (a gun that I measured to be plenty safe out to 2.300 or even 2.305"). I will say that the 35 Bergers we have, which are at most 2.260, work better (feed a little more smoothly) than the 2.295's in the Savage (even though the Savage could take something MUCH longer than either the Rem or Ruger.) But it really isn't a situation where we have to feed rounds one at a time, by hand. I couldn't deal with that for hunting.

The .204 I'm loading for is a CZ 527 Varmint in Kevlar and is used for punching paper. If longer oal works out better it won't matter loading by hand in my case. Thanks!
smile.gif

Back