Weatherby Scopes

coyote killa

I'm going to soon have a Tikka T3 in .223 and I'm getting ready to scope it, sight it in and get out to hunt. I was doing some gun cleaning and safe rearranging a few days ago and came upon a scope I had forgotten about. I've had it about 20 years and have never used it. I wanted to know if anyone here has ever used one and if they could provide me any info on it. I'm going to use it since it will save me some money not having to purchase a new scope. It is a Weatherby Variable
2 3/4 - 10 X 40. It says made in Germany on the bottom. I've not been able to find any info on this scope. It has extremely fine crosshairs on it which are a bit difficult to see at low power. Does anyone here know anything about it? Thanks in advance for any input.

have never had any experience with WBY optics other than looking thru them but back in my youth they were unique & distinguishable by having the turrents located inline at the 12 o'clock position....believe the name was IMPERIAL and were german made.
but you said you have had the scope around 20 yrs....80's into the 90's?....just guessin it has conventional turrent arrangement....the "made in germany" might be a good thing....strap it on and go shootin....being different has its rewards.

I have no way to validate the information, but I was told the older ones were made by Zeiss. I sure would like to know if that was true.

Actually this scope has both turrets located on the top like you've described. I obtained it 20 years ago but it was not new. It came with a rifle I purchased. I removed it and mounted a different scope and it got put in the back of a safe and forgotten. Here is a link to what appears to be the same scope as far as I can tell from a picture. It's the only thing I've been able to find so far.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/951771166/Non...iable_Scope.htm

Found this with a little searching. Again, unverified sources...

Quote:My buddy who owns the scope just sent me the following....

"FYI, the manufacturer of the Weatherby "Imperial" and "Imperial Variable" scopes was Hertel & Reuss.

What I could find out about it is that Hertel & Reuss was a German company based in Kassel, which produced different optical instruments (microscopes, telescopic sights, binoculars). Hertel & Reuss existed from 1927 to 1995, when it finally became insolvent and was incorporated into another company. It's still known under the same name and they make opera glasses:
http://www.hertelreuss.com
Looks like they still make good stuff.

From what I found in the Weatherby book, Roy Weatherby went to 4 different optics companies in 1953: "Of these four, [Roy] was most impressed with Hertel & Reuss, which had an excellent reputation as one of the finest optical companies in Germany."

I'll shut up now.

Interesting. I've never seen a scope quite like this one. The turrets both inline and the extremely fine crosshairs. Seems to be well built. I'll mount it and try sighting it in and see how she works. I figured someone here has probably seen or used one of these things. Thanks for the info !

Weatherby scopes were a trade name scope. They were made in a few different places. Depending on what year you buy. I do not know about the earlier ones. But the ones they marketed in the late 80's and early 90's were imported for Weatherby by Tasco, and were built by the same Japanese company that made the Tasco scopes. However they were made to specs. and were of good quality when I had one. Tom.

Back