Rifle brand choice.

Now You're talking!!!!
laugh.gif

It's a well known fact among my hunting buddies that I'll wreck a truck trying to get pulled over for a shot at a Feral Cat.

Have you got relatives in S.E. Nebraska? LOl...sounds like a good friend of mine!
I inherited a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 thats a early `70`s model and it seems to be a very good rifle.I don`t know how they compare to the new ones, because at the time I was itchin for one of the Coyote models not a single one could be found so I ended up with a new R25 instead. Grandad had an admiration for Winchester Rifles, especially Commemoratives.

Every Tikka I have been exposed to shot exceptionally well, I don't really care for them but thats just my personal opinion and doesn't really matter. I do have one of the current Model 70's (a featherweight chambered for the 300 WSM) which easily stays under an inch with about anything, there are a lot of these guns in this area and the folks who have them seem to like them. I have seen one of the Extremes chambered for the 300 Win mag which couldn't get under 1.5" with anything but overall these guns are sub minute shooters. The new Model 70 is in a price range that puts it in competition with the likes of Kimber. It's a good rifle, shoots well and is easy to look at.

Originally Posted By: Hooked

Now You're talking!!!!
laugh.gif

It's a well known fact among my hunting buddies that I'll wreck a truck trying to get pulled over for a shot at a Feral Cat.

Have you got relatives in S.E. Nebraska? LOl...sounds like a good friend of mine!
I inherited a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 thats a early `70`s model and it seems to be a very good rifle.I don`t know how they compare to the new ones, because at the time I was itchin for one of the Coyote models not a single one could be found so I ended up with a new R25 instead. Grandad had an admiration for Winchester Rifles, especially Commemoratives.

"Couldn't find a Bolt action Winchester so you settled fro an R25."
Well done, I like a man that's flexible.
grin.gif

Don't have any relatives in Nebraska, but I'd probably drive all the way out there if the Feral Cat population was high enough.
Oh,,, and by "Feral",,, I mean two hundred yards from a farm house.

Update:

FWIW, I think the choice has gone from Tikka T-3 or Winchester
Model 70(FN) to Sako A7 or Model 70. I have to try to find
one of each to fondle first, and then find the cash where
my wife won't miss it. Last night I got busted on a new
Nikon Rifleman 1000 Rangefinder purchase. SHE heard my
phone beep, and it popped up an e-mail from Amazon saying
the rangefinder had shipped. She checked it to see if
it was a text message from our son in TX. Oops. I told
her I got it on sale! I was saving money! Funny how
that only works for her when she goes shopping.

Squeeze

Sounds like the new Win is coming back ok. I wouldn't hold it against a guy for buying one of them. Not my first choice though.
Have seen A7 in .300 WSM for $599 on Gunbroker this week.
Also saw a new A7 and new Tikka this week. The A7 in .270 WSM & .300 WSM called Tecomate has a fluted stainless barrel with B&C stock. Saw a couple sell on Gunbroker already.

http://www.eurooptic.com/products~description~Sako-A7-Tecomate-Stainless-Fluted-300-WSM-JRSTS40.htm

The tikka or a cz is just the best value rifle on the market. They are not fancy they just shoot good on a budget. I love my tikka and cz for what they are. If one had a larger budget there are alot of better guns. I like sako myself.

Wood stocks are just as good as synthetic you just need to weather proof it. You need to bed it and seal up all the bare wood with product of your choice.Remove the recoil pad or butt plate and seal all that up. I like whipe on poly for anything you won't see and true oil for anything you can see. Unless the gun is some sort of classic then I see no reason not to beat the living crap out of it. Wood can always be refinished with true oil and then touched up with a fresh layer now and then. Don't fall into the hype. Synthetic stocks are pushed by the gun companies cuz they are cheap to make.

The t-3 is the only synthetic I own. Its only because I think the tikka wood stock is really cheap feeling and the ones I have seen don't look nice at all.

well, I picked up my mod 70 on friday, and I am in love! Fit and finish is excellent, trigger is crisp and light from the factory, the action is SMOOTH, and the decellerator recoil pad really takes the bite out of the big .300. No accuracy report yet, as I've only managed to put 7 rounds through, checking for pressure and velocity in my handloads, not much time to shoot yet!

Back