Mountain lion in western NY

& let us not forget that Florida panthers were not supposed to exist outside of the Everglades, until that poor guy shot one in West Point Georgia last year (northwest Georgia). They gave the usual escaped pet argument based on low parasite burden and foot pad wear. That is, until genetic testing proved it to be a Florida panther. Last I heard, they were considering prosecuting the guy. I personally know several plantation managers with biology and/or forestry degrees that have seen them here in south Georgia for years. As others have previously pointed out, a Felis concolor population is a big headache for state DNR's.

Should I encounter one and feel threatened by it, I'm lettin the lead fly. Better tried by twelve than having your wedding ring retrieved from a scat scample.

Last edited:
Quote: They gave the usual escaped pet argument based on low parasite burden and foot pad wear.

I was bowhunting some years ago, and the EPO's were placing huge box traps. I asked what they were after, and they told me someones pet Cougar escaped. I thought that was kinda odd, as I know alot of folks, and no one I know has a pet Cougar. Bet no one here has a pet Cougar.

I have a nieghbor thats a Cougar, but thats a whole 'nuther story ...........
tt2.gif

Sleddogg, I hunt a little north of you, mostly bounded between rt 20 & rt 2. About 9/10 years ago, up in Peru/Windsor area a friend found some big tracks. It was Thanksgiving morning I think, just a skiff of snow, the kind that lifts & leaves no print. There was a good crop of
beechnuts, and there was bear sign everywhere, the sloppy, ambling kind of stuff they do, but there was this one big, round, 4" track, just lined out in a straight path, about 18" apart, so differant from the bear tracks. Took pictures with a 35mm, but they showed nothing. Could have been that escaped pet? There are some odd transplants from CT & NY living in the hill towns as you well know. Anyway we kept pretty quiet so not to get laughed at, but it makes me pick my stands carefully.

Hey Sleddogg
" I have a nieghbor thats a Cougar, but thats a whole 'nuther story ..........."
Yeah but that season closes every 20 some days..

Quote:Hey Sleddogg
" I have a nieghbor thats a Cougar, but thats a whole 'nuther story ..........."
Yeah but that season closes every 20 some days..

Thank God, as hunting those kid of cougars takes too much time from coyote hunting
tt2.gif

But back to subject, ummmmmmmm, what was it .... oh ya, Mountain Lions. I vote yes there must be some up here.

Anybody see that story about the tiger in an apt. in NYC ??
Imagine some knucklehead driving a few miles north & releasing it in the Catskills.

Originally Posted By: homebuilta guy i work with picked up a roadkilled fisher in penneville late last winter (i personally held the carcuss). i spotted a otter family three times this summer on the seneca river just west of port byron, while in my kayak. no pic's but have the cooridinates(sp) and could put you right in their living room if ya wanted. i personally don't believe theres any lions in NY, but do believe it's possible for one to show up. just look at the miles one can travel in a day, won't take long to get here. most people would say that there's no bear's in geddes, yet one was shot out off a tree last year after in walked there from waterloo.
Am I missing something? Is there questions as to whether otter and fisher exist in NY or just in Western NY? I live in Eastern Ny and there are otter and fisher all over here!

Originally Posted By: Dan L.
mountainlion.jpg
Ok..what do you guys think @ this one?
The lion was allegedly killed by a truck near State college, Pa -Raystown lake area and dragged to this man's garage. Game agency still denies they exist in PA. I have vacationed with the family near Coudersport PA (northwestern PA) and farmers have had cows attacked by some large cat(s).
They had left classic claw marks either side of the cow's neck as the cows struggled to get away.....I like to carry my Ruger super blackhawk in .44 mag sometimes if I know I'm going into deep boonies.Eerie feeling thinking you could be the prey as well as the predator .
unsure.gif

Well the first glance i took at this pic i noticed all the muley racks hanging in there.....not likely a photo from the northeast.

Back