any other 284 winchester fans

coloradocat

Just wondering if there was anybody else out there that shoots them?I own 3 of them a winchester model 88, a browning a bolt micro medallion and a browning micro hunter II.What brands/models do you guys shoot?What is your favorite loads to shoot?

I have an A-Bolt Micro-Medallion in 284win. It has become my favorite deer rifle, when I'm not using the family 'youth' rifle in 243. I put in a 'medium' Timney trigger spring & have a Vari-x-III 1.75-6 mounted.

I'm still working off about 80 factory rounds the seller threw in with the deal. I see much of the time writers say to go with 150grn or less bullets(without the BT) because of the short neck in the 284 case. I have a bunch of Hornady 139grn bullets & some 140 grn partitions. I may be up for a bear tag next fall and may just use this gun over some of my 30 cal options. I'd most likely use H-4350.

I was checking the zero a fall or 2 ago & a buddy said if I ever wanted to sell my Micro in 284 he'd be interested. I told him it was unlikely.

I have a bunch of brass and am not worried about ammo availability. The chambering lives on in the custom market. Of course it's sorta a 7mm-08 +p, a short mag before there were 'short mags'. I see where that Grice gunshop in PA has/had recently a special run of newly made A-bolts in 284 Winchester.

Your 150s should work fine for the Elk hunt. I see powders in the 4350 burn range very common in the 140-150 grn bullet area. If you want an easy mod a medium Timney trigger spring will bring the pull down to 3 lbs or so. That's 1 lb or a little more lower than they usually adjust to with the fctory settings.

Last edited:
I just bought the micro hunter from grice guns .found them on gun broker.I got it about aweek ago and he had 20 left at the time.As far as bullets go I shot some 120 v max for pronghorn this year man they were dead before they hit the ground.Now I think Im going to try some 150 grain nosler partition for elk should work pretty good .powder wise we have been using hogdon 4895 Im not much of a reloader though so any input would be appreciated

The 284 will work fine with 160 grain bullets as well. Muzzle velocity drops off a little quicker on the really long bullets when compared to a long action cartridge like the 280 but the difference is over stated.

IMO an excellent cartridge.I don't have one myself but my 7x57 and .280 are pretty close to it performance wise.Both shoot best with 150gr bullets on up but neither is bad with lighter bullets.

Years and I mean years ago shot the Model 88 and 100 in 284 later shot a custom 6x284 then moved up to a 6.5x284.

Last year decided on a custom 284 and I got the rifle acouple months ago. Here an interesting article on one http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek095.html

I found the reloading data on that rifle intersting and a good place to start using 160gr bullets. In my rifle 52.5gr/R-17 with 160gr Accubond @ 2983fps.

My elk/deer season starts Nov 6 thru 14 and I'll take the 284 along.

how about any other manufactureres? I talked to a guy and he said he had one in a ruger ,never new they made the 284.Any other makers besides the the norm winchester savage ,and browning?

Originally Posted By: coloradocathow about any other manufactureres? I talked to a guy and he said he had one in a ruger ,never new they made the 284.Any other makers besides the the norm winchester savage ,and browning?

Yep Ruger made one Browning made a BLR beside the bolt action. Back late 1965 I had a choice between Browning Safari Grade 243 or 284 I picked the 243 and Mel Forbes got his start making Ultra Light Rifles in 284. My custom 284 is build on a Ruger tang safety action has a Ruger factory 284 follower.

I had an older Mauser 98 that was tricked out with a beautiful piece of walnut for a stock and a McGowen barrel chambered in .284 Winchester. I loved that gun but unfortunately someone wanted it bad enough to steal it from my truck back in the day. Big fan of the .284.........

...almost my favorite cartridge...

I have a semi-custom .284 that is a re-chamber job from a 7mm-08. It's in a Savage 10FL (lefty) that I bought new. Without firing the 7-08, I removed the barrelled action and sent it to Savage Shooters in Delphos, Ohio It was rechambered to .284, new recoil lug installed, barrel turned down just enough to remove the factory warnings, new caliber designation engraved, feed rails trued, bolt face squared, and
return shipped to me, all for $166.00 . (This was in 2002).

I load: 58.0 grains Reloder 19
120 grain Sierra SPT
WLR primer
Winchester brass

I get 3/4" inch 3-shot groups at 100 yds., chronoe'd 3200 fps.

Last December, I found a Browning BLR in .284 that needed to come home with me. I'm in the process of working up a 130 grain Speer SPT load for it.

Years ago, I had a Winchester Model 100 in .284 that I killed a few deer with, but when it started jamming, I had to replace it. I had a young family then, and couldn't afford more than one rifle, so the .284 was sold to a collector, and my wife got me a .30-'06.

Anyhow, that's my 10 cents worth.(inflation). I like the .284 , and will be using one quite a bit during the upcoming deer season.

I havn't hunted big game (deer,elk,bear) with a rifle for many years. Back when I did I always wanted a 284win, probably because it was unique. I managed to pick up a micro medalian and topped it with a Burris 3x9 mini, beutiful rifle.
I never could get it to shoot. Seems like I had to seat the bullets way to deep to work in the mag. Barnes bullets (to long) and reloader powders probably didn't help either. I havn't fired it in 12 years.
What are your favorite loads for this rifle? Bullet type and OAL would be very important. I'd like to get it shooting as a loaner youth rifle.

Thanks

From what I've read the mag fit/bullet seat is what killed the cartridge.To bad as it really was a cartridge design ahead of it's time.

i became a 284 win fan back in the early 60's when i spotted a winchester catalog that had a ranch hand bailing off a rearing cow pony while extracting a model 88 from his scabbard....at least that's how i want to remember it.
i currently have a win model 88 with a 2.5-8 balvar (ext adjs)....a browning BLR....a ruger 77R....
win had a small run of M70's via their custom shop about 4yrs ago.....about 15-20 years win advertised a M70 DBM (detachable box magazine) but never was able to locate one.....then there's the ruger #1 in 284.
i have the same affliction for 358's.......sigh.

100_2598.jpg

In 1970 my Parents, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles and Cousins all pitched in and purchased a brand new Remington M660 in 6mm R to commemorate my promotion from the 8th grade. By the time the '80s rolled around things had changed. I was laden with rifles, in the coveted 6mm, of different variations. I felt the need to convert the old 660 to something I figured I would find more useful.

My favorite "Smithy" cut back, turned down, chambered the stainless barrel that had come off of the M700, 7 mag donor action from the .375 Weatherby project of the year before. He installed the barrel along with a M700 bolt handle and trigger out of the junk drawer. I bedded an HS Precision stock. And Walla, a new .284W mountain rifle. With the Burris FF2 BP 2x-7x she tips at 6lbs.

Originally Posted By: coloradocatJust wondering if there was anybody else out there that shoots them?I own 3 of them a winchester model 88, a browning a bolt micro medallion and a browning micro hunter II.What brands/models do you guys shoot?What is your favorite loads to shoot?

Have a Browning Micro Medallion. I shoot 145 grain Speer Grand Slams over IMR 4350.

Killed my first bear and my second elk with it. Great cartridge.

I had...had ...had a Winchester 88 in .284....I broke the stock while hunting and sold it to some guy who thought he could fix the stock...what a fool....ME....I loved the .284...little hard on brass..lots of flow...but a great round

Back