Scope + Red dot ?

I can spend an hour (100 rounds) at the range, working between the two set ups, alternating shooting between short and long range targets,, and feel pretty confident in my ability under stress...Real life or competition...

oldturtle, what do you have in the offset position?

To the OP, there are many 45 degree offset rails, and offset to the barrel should be better than offset to the scope. Mounting the sight off the handguard or flattop still puts it over the bore, and therefore is the same as your scope. Mounting 45 degrees of the scope makes the scope the bore, and it is 1.5" from the bore. Something to think about, although in real life, it may not make that much of a difference.

Last edited:
I have a scope mounted for longer shots. I have a pretty low cost Tru Glo I cannibalized off my Mossberg. I mounted the red dot on my hand guard. There's room under the scope but I would have to rotate the scope to get the windage knobs out of the way. Anyway, it works great for close quarters. The majority of my encounters are in thicks and it makes it easier for rapid target acquisition. I don't even have to close my non shooting eye. I recommend it. This AR is my main predator rig. I used a 45 degree offset mount. I think it's made by weaver. It's holding at 50 yards and I have confidence with it.

da9c0f84.jpg

Here's a coyote I popped with the red dot last spring. As mentioned before, I just rotate the rifle and line up the red dot on target, squeeze.

7a975a42.jpg

Im just going to toss out a suggestion, how about a scope with the red dot built in.

I have a DMS scope on my AR and it works great, A tad heavy at close to a pound but its sure slick.

there are others being made now with higher magnifications than 1-4x.

Dunno if thats going to be of any help,but may be easier/cheaper

Dave

I have the burris setup on one of my RRA and you don't need a solid cheek mount due to shooting it with both eyes open. Same as shooting a pistol. All I have to do is raise my head from cheek mount to a chin on the stock and I am good to go. I have it sighted in at 25 yds and works great for moving and close range targets.
IMG00557.jpg

Back