Raccoon Season starts tomorrow!

I hope you have your blood tracking light in your pocket. You will need it shooting a tough old coon with an air rifle. We shoot treed coons with 22 LR 10/22's, and sometimes they still run like you just made them angry!

I will oftentimes use the Aguila Sniper Sub-Sonics. They are a 60 grain bullet, and put a good thump on a coon. Also, if they are being called and running, you better be fast at reloading that breakbarrel air rifle, because you need a second or third or fourth shot pretty often and pretty quickly.

Just my opinion, though, YMMV,
Kevlars

I only shoot when I have a head shot. You are right if you hit them in the body. I can't afford to wound them as I live in a highly populated area. It is head shots or nothing.

If I was calling them I'd just use my shotgun. I think that is the best weapon to be honest. I haven't been out to try calling yet, as I've been just too busy.

All the ones I've shot have just crumbled down and went into a death dance. Most of the time the high powered air rifles will go right through their head just like a normal rifle.

coonshot2.jpg

coon-1.jpg

A RWS 350 will generate about 22 FPE. More than enough to kill a raccoon, skunk, possum, or even a fox at normal night shooting range of about 20 yards.

Last edited:
Number 5 or 6 High Brass with an IC choke is what I'm trying. I've tried calling a couple of times now, but I'm not really in a prime area. I'm going over to a guy's house that has a stream and LOTS of big hollow trees to call!

I would and do use BB or #4 shot in 23/4 High Brass. It puts them down in a hurry,Plus you never know when a Yote may come to a Coon Fight and you may get him.

Last edited:
I've tried some raccoon calling, but it hasn't worked out for me. The area I thought would be productive produced nada. I'm going to wait for it to get a little colder and such after deer season and try again.

Back