Early Season Crow Sniping

6mm06

I got started a little early this year with a bit of crow sniping. I generally reserve my dedicated crow sniping to the winter months, especially when there's a good snow on the ground. These two were taken in the woodlot behind my house, targets of opportunity. There were a few crows flying about, landing here and there in the trees, squaking and making a racket.

I grabbed my new Marlin .17 HMR and popped the first one at about 50 yards. All got quiet, so I retrieved the crow and took a few photos. Suddenly another one came flying in and perched in a tree about 75 yards away. One shot and down that one went too. Both were shot with Hornady 17 gr. V-Max loads. That is one wicked little bullet on crows.

Normally I use a CZ 452 American and 20 gr. CCI Game Points for crows, but the Marlin seems to prefer the Hornady 17 gr. bullets.

02-3.jpg

03-3.jpg

The scope is a Center Point 4x16. It's a cheap scope that I am giving a try. So far it's
holding zero well.

Cropped.jpg

MarlinHMR04.jpg

More and more hunters are beginning to realize the fun of crow sniping. Here is a short video clip of some of my winter-time hunts.

Even the snobby sites (snipershide) like the centerpoint, for what it is. I don't think I have seen many people bad mouth the scope. Buying and returning to wally world makes it really nice if you have a problem. IF you are interested, crosman sells a sunshade for the scope. Does your scope grey in the upper powers?

Nice for you to have a transition from warm weather groundhog hunting to winter. I might have to give it a try. I have the same scope coming on my 25 cal Marauder air rifle and looking forward to giving it a try. I'm gonna go check out your videos now...

Dust, I just now checked the scope, zooming up from 4x to 16x. I didn't notice any graying. It seems very clear to me.

Thanks for the info about the sunshade.

thats awesome ... im going to try it this year lots of crows landin the pasture next to my house everyday but going to use a airgun instead.

Looks good 6mm! I like the V-max for my Ruger HMR they shoot the best and you are right they are ruff on crows.

Marco,

Send me a personal with your mailing address and I'll get a DVD out to you soon. It's just memories stuff, but edited up pretty nice. Hopefully you will find some entertainment with it.

David

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Marco,

Send me a personal with your mailing address and I'll get a DVD out to you soon.

See this post

Hey David--sweet shooting man. Got the DVD too. Started to watch it a couple days ago, but got waylayed by the wifee. Next couple days i'll finish it--well done so far!

I also tried that scope on an AR, and it didn't hold zero--maybe it's just right for a rimfire. Hope it works well for u.

6mm06, thanks for all the hard work post was great liked the Marlin accuracy and loved the videos! And you are right the 17HMR is excellent on small varmints they are nothing like it.

Jeff,

I really like the thumb hole stock. This is my first, but I like it. The gun itself is heavy, which I like. I is easy to make steady for a shot.

Back