I score! . . . and knock a couple coyotes down

okoyote

I went to spend the weekend at my in-laws in South Dakota's beautiful capital city. It's a great place with everything the outdoorsman could want. Well, I guess there are no mountains. The trip was made with an open mind, the bow, the boat, and of course. . . . the tikka .204.

Saturday morning I hit some public land in the river breaks for deer and coyotes. While I had the rifle, I saw a great buck. When I had the bow. . . I didn't see much. After a couple packs were heard howling on a ranch near my location, I decided to knock on the ranchers door. They own a lot of land, run a business for outfitting game, and I didn't think I had much chance of getting permission. The worst they could say is "no" and the drive is made up the 8 mile driveway to a sprawling ranch yard. After some small talk I am given the gate keys, a tour, and "come back anytime". This place is 90 square miles. Heaven.

This is the view on one of my first sets. Grass as far as the eye can see and those hills made me feel small!!

IMGP1228.jpg

I choose to call where I heard the packs howl earlier in the day. After a few minutes of jackrabbit squalls I catch sight of a coyote getting downwind of me, and out of sight, on the big hill I am sitting on. Knowing that I will never see that coyote again I leave the caller going and sprint to the top of the hill to try to get a shot. Already, the coyote has winded me and is nervously trying to make an escape. I "whoop" and the coyote moves faster. The crosshairs are leveled a couple feet in front of the nose and the bullet connects! I laser the shot and 320 yards is the number. I get lucky and the .204 does it's job!!

IMGP1227.jpg

Time is spent learning the lay of the ranch and the day is winding down. The wind switches direction and I'm left on the wrong side of the ranch and not much daylight.

A crosswind is at this set and I can't do anything but set up with the sun somewhat in my face. Again, a few minutes of jackrabbit yelling brings a triple. In a matter of a couple of minutes 2 of them are standing at 100 and 200 yards in front of me and both detect my presence in the sun. I try to take the far one and miss (I guessed the distance was 300 yards). The closer one takes off and I miss that one too as it gets out of sight! I quickly switch to kiyis and immediately the third one comes out of the draw and is taken at 150 yards. Whew! Should have been a legitimate shot at a triple, but I was glad to have one!

IMGP1229.jpg

Gorgeous night on the prairie!!

IMGP1231.jpg

The next morning is awesome too!!

IMGP1238.jpg

The next day my father-in-law joins me and we try the river.

IMGP1239.jpg

All we run into are deer, antelope, and bow-hunters.

I have never seen antelope in the river breaks before!

IMGP1242.jpg

What a great playground for the hunter!! This new ranch will keep me busy for a while!!

I can't wait to go back!!

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OKoyote, good job. That was a nice story and some great pics. Too bad you weren't able to shoot a triple, that would have been icing on the cake and probly a H.O.M. for sure. I guess the supressor didn't scare the coyotes too much if it came in for the Kiyi's, huh?

It was nice to see that the ranch was nice enough to let you in and hunt on the property. That is one heck of a spread you were on.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

Thanks! and yes. . . the suppressor seemed to make a difference on that set. The third one came to the call without a care in the world.

Like I tell folks, it never hurts to ask. The worst they can say is no, the best is yes, but if you never ask, you'll never know. Good job all the way around!

Great story------and great running shot!

Wow man, you really scored big getting permission on that ranch. That's the kind of things dreams are made of. Good for you!

Those coyotes are in heaven around there. The pheasant population is booming and those river breaks provide lots of cover for them. I love that country. Good Job!

Back