Rifle brand choice.

Squeeze

All,

I have a Howa 300 WSM that shoots well, but it is the older
2 position safety, that does not lock the bolt. After
crawling around WY, I have come to the conclusion the
non-locking bolt is a non-starter for rugged country big game
hunting, which is what the 300 WSM is intended to be used for.

So I have talked to the local gun shop guy and he will give
me $250 in trade on a new and different 300 WSM rifle, which
will have a locked bolt when on safe. First let me say, please
don't waste your time typing I should get a Savage, Remington,
etc. I am VERY FIRM on my candidate rifles for this choice.
I have narrowed the candidates to a Tikka T3 in Syn/Stainless,
or a new Winchester Model 70(made by FN in SC) also in Syn/Stainless.

I own two Tikkas now(M695 and a T-3), so these rifles are
well known to me. I do not own a Model 70, but have always
liked the look and feel of them. Now that FN has gone back
to controlled-round feed, and put quality back in the rifle,
it is time for a second look. So I am most interested in
any feedback on the new FN made Model 70s. Accuracy?
Reliability? Fit and Finish? Trigger?

Thanks for any info you may provide.

Squeeze

I have not handled the new synthetic stock on the new Winchester. But it could not possibly be as bad as the plastic stock on the Tikka. Since you have narrowed it to two rifles only. I would go with the Winchester all day long. Even if I could not handle the stock until after I bought the rifle. But then I am more negative on the Tikka than I am positive on the Winchester. But the controlled feed Winchester is a well made American built classic. Easy choice. Tom.

Heck, since you already have 2 Tikka rifles, I'd go for the Winchester. Variety is the spice of life, right?

Seriously, choose the one that feels the best to you. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, though I favor the American made Winchester (even if they are owned by a non-US company.)

Originally Posted By: HOGGHEADI have not handled the new synthetic stock on the new Winchester. But it could not possibly be as bad as the plastic stock on the Tikka.

Tom,

Care to elaborate on "bad" relative to the Tikka synthetic
stock? I have a blued/synthetic stocked Tikka T-3 in 223 Rem.
and for me personally it is one of the better "plastic"
factory stocks. You want to talk crap, take a look at
the Savage "plastic" stock. I have seen a slight improvement
in the Savage stocks between the two Model 16 purchases, but
really crappy to kind of crappy, still doesn't make my
grade. My two Savage Model 16s, both no longer have factory
stocks. My Tikka T-3 still does. My Tikka M-695 has a very
nice grey laminate stock that looks like it came from a Sako,
but that makes it too pretty for rough duty.

I am not a wood stock kind of guy. I hunt in nasty weather and
brush country that will put you on your knees. For a working
rifle I always go synthetic. About the only thing I ask of
a synthetic stock is it doesn't touch the barrel. A pillar
bed is close to a requirement, too.

I would like to hear from someone that has personal experience
with Winchester synthetic stocks(Ultimate Shadow specifically).

Squeeze

P.S. I get the impression that you just don't like Tikkas.
grin.gif

Last edited:
I really like Tikka. The only Winchester I regret selling was a Model 88.
I have trouble staying within the guidelines and have to throw another choice in. The Sako A7 has a 3 point safety(2 buttons).
Kind of a cross breed Sako/Tikka It has a much better stock, the great trigger, metal feed lips on the magazine, scope bases, and a 5 shot guarantee.
It also has a camo coat rebate til Christmas worth about $250.

I've never seen one of the new model 70's, but I'll throw in another vote for the Tikka.
I have no problem with their plastic stock either.

Originally Posted By: tripod3The Sako A7 has a 3 point safety(2 buttons).
Kind of a cross breed Sako/Tikka It has a much better stock, the great trigger, metal feed lips on the magazine, scope bases, and a 5 shot guarantee.
It also has a camo coat rebate til Christmas worth about $250.

Tripod,

We must think alike. I already looked at this rifle, and
was tempted. My problem is I don't think this particular
gun shop does Sako. I intended to check on availability
and price, if I decided to go Tikka. My older M-695 sounds
a lot like the A7...And I REALLY like the M-695. The M-695
has an actual stamped steel magazine. But I have had no
issues with the plastic mag.s(both the 3 and 6 round variants)
on my T-3. They don't rust.
grin.gif

Squeeze

Not knowing how the Winny would shoot, and owning 2 Tikkas, Id think that it would be smarter to stick with Tikka. You may get a great shooting Winchester, but then again maybe not. Id have to go Tikka, simply because I own one as well, and they shoot great. Good Luck. Id Google Winchester, and see what comes up!

Originally Posted By: yotewacker1Coyote semi auto DPMS
Deer bolt action Savage.

Any gun you shoot over 100 yards in distance should have a nice trigger.

Hmmmm ..
I'm guessing you did not read/understand the post.
-----------------------------------------------

Only way you know is to try one out. If you want a winny get one.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: yotewacker1Coyote semi auto DPMS
Deer bolt action Savage.

Any gun you shoot over 100 yards in distance should have a nice trigger.

Hmmmm ..
I'm guessing you did not read/understand the post.
-----------------------------------------------

Only way you know is to try one out. If you want a winny get one.

HA!!! I thought the same thing.

I thought to myself "What the what?"

Chupa

Originally Posted By: Squeeze
HOGGHEAD said:
grin.gif

You read me perfectly. I absolutely do not like the Tikka rifles. That plastic stock is pure garbage. And just comparing it to more garbage like the savage stock is of no help. I have no use for those plastic trigger guards. And plastic magazines that cost a ridiculous price for a piece of plastic. I would not pay $5 for that stock and 10 plastic magazines. So ya, you read me right.

I would not trade my Winchester Super Grade for three or even four Tikka's.

I own wood and good quality laid up fiberglass stocks. But you would not find that Tikka garbage stock in my safe. If you like yours then that is great, but not me. I also have a couple of Savage's that had that same junk stock you are speaking of. It took me a day to get those stocks off the rifle, and get a new one ordered.

I did not recommend other rifles because you asked us not to.

When synthetic stocks first came out there were some real quality products out there. There were good strong fiberglass stocks. And resin impregnated stocks. and carbon fiber stocks. Then all of a sudden they went to pure injection molded plastic. And when they went to that plastic stock the quality of stocks dropped significantly. I understand why you like synthetic stocks. But I can't figure out how you could like that plastic. But then maybe you have not had the luxury of hunting with a good synthetic stock??

Go and handle one of the Weatherby UltraLight rifles with the synthetic stock Weatherby puts on their rifles. If the price on that rifle is more than you want to spend then I can fully understand that. But personally I would sell the three Tikka's you said you have in order to buy one of the Weatherby's. But then I put more emphasis on buying high quality, and less emphasis on number of rifles. In other words give me one top shelf rifle instead of three or four middle of the road rifles. Just an opinion. Tom.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Squeeze
grin.gif

I'm starting to get that impression a little bit too.
laugh.gif

Keep bedding the wood stocks, paying for new triggers.. "the list goes on" Lots of folks like the Tikka.. Buy it and Hunt..... Remmi.. Buy it... ask how to make it shoot.. Fix it... and then Hunt! We missed ya 2Much.. really..
grin.gif
Im considering buying a 700 in .308... but part of me says.... Tikka !

Some serious over sights on here.Remington 700 - is by far the best bolt action on the market.Theres not a Rifle/Caliber Remington does not make for any type of shooting or hunting.Consider the fact that 90 percent of bean guns are built on a 700 action- and thats just for starters...Like anything in life - you get what you pay for .

Uh Huh... and you pay for quality. And quality doesent really mean Remington these days. Google Remingtons recent offerings. I think that you will see a trend. I still may buy one though, just to see the results.

I have a tikka...love it, especially in the bad weather...stainless and garbage plastic is how I like it I guess. I have a mod 70 also and it just might be my favorite rifle as of late but it is a wood stock...love the locked bolt safety. Can't go wrong either way squeeze...that's just my garbage opinion though.

I happily traded a Weatherby /mark V Ultralight for two brand new Tikka's straight across at the gun shop. Wow, best trade I have made.
Made the mistake of buying another Weatherby. It was my last. I will give it good marks for the stock. Replaced it with a real gun, Sako.

While I really like my Tikka T-3, I do NOT like the plastic trigger guard, magazine, and bolt shroud on it. . in fact I don't even really like any kind of detachable mag on a serious hunting rifle. I will be picking up my new, FN-made Winchester mod 70 ss in .300 win mag this thursday or friday. It has a nice composite stock (bell & carlson) with an aluminum bedding block in it, adjustable trigger, and a moa guarentee from the factory. The ultimate shadow stocks you asked about are the cheaper, injection-molded plastic that everyone seems to hate. The new winchesters do seem to be of much higher quality fit and finish than the last ones to come from the New Haven plant though.

Back