barrels?Chrome lined or not

Because the chrome lining will vary in thickness along the length of the barrel. There are some pretty accurate chrome lined barrels though. Noveske N4's will be very close to MOA and Centurion Arms says theirs will do MOA with match ammo. I have a Noveske N4 midlength and have so far only sighted in my back up iron sights so I don't have any actual groups to show, but I am very impressed with it so far. Next week I am going out to sight in my 1-4 power scope with some Black Hills 60gr V-max and I will post the results.

I'd say they're less accurate mostly because the bullet never removes the machining flaws from the raw barrel steel (since they're sealed under the chrome).

I know my stainless barrel took almost 200 rounds until it shot the best groups, and it was broach cut (very nice for a factory rifling job).

If they would lap the barrel before they chromed it, I really doubt there would be much difference between the two.

That's just opinion, though.

Originally Posted By: Evil_LurkerI'd say they're less accurate mostly because the bullet never removes the machining flaws from the raw barrel steel (since they're sealed under the chrome).

I think that is why the Noveske and Centurion barrels are more accurate than most chrome lined barrels. They are hammer forged and the bores are alot smoother right off the machine than the standard chrome barrels are. When they get the chrome applied the aren't covering up any machining marks.

I am working on my second build and just about went with a Centurion barrel but decided to try a stainless one this time since I already have a Noveske. I just ordered a 16" Lothar Walther medium weight - midlength with Polygon Rifling 1:8 twist, made out of their LW50 stainless. They told me is should be capable of 1/2 MOA and the LW50 is supposed to last quite a bit longer than the normal 416 stainless. Under "normal" use they told me it should be capable of shooting MOA or better with match grade ammo for close to 15,000 rounds. Plus they are only $175 plus shipping.

Quote:...They are hammer forged

With the right material and process, that will leave an extremely precise, smooth barrel interior. Chrome lining one of those, if done correctly, could easily give a sub-MOA barrel.

I'm not convinced a chrome-lined barrel will outlast a stainless, unless you're shooting full-auto, so I buy for accuracy. The fewer processes involved, the better chance of ending up with an accurate barrel.

Those broaches are very accurate, but Oly's the only company I know that is using that process.

bushmaster2.jpg

I think a chrome lined barrel can be accurate. I know this is only 3 rnds, but after shooting about 35rnds trying to figure out what was going to work, I settled on this, loaded three rounds and called it macaronie. For my Brother-In-Law.Thats with a $50.00 3-9 x 40 Buck Silver Scope.
Edit to add yes I know its not one hole match grade material, but I wouldn`t hesitate to take it calling (scope and mounts maybe questionable though)anyway 100 yards and just wanted to make a point that its not like a chrome lined barrel is going to pattern like a shot gun.

Last edited:
Back