Before and After on the AR build

trevor73402

Hey all,

Well a couple of weeks ago I posted on here about suggestions on converting my Rock River Entry/Tacticle carbine into a hunting rig. Remember I am new to the AR platform especially as a hunting rig. I've always been a bolt gun guy. Well I think I got it finished and I did a pretty decent job. I shaved the front sight base myself with my dremel, replaced my collapsible stock with a Magpul PRS stock, and replaced the hand guards with a MidWest Industried SS Mid length free float tube. I added a PEPR on top and I already had the 6-18x40 scope. I ordered all the parts and the tools and did it all myself. It wasn't that hard at all really. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. It's light weight, maneuverable, and feels really good with the Magpul PRS. I think it will work great for a calling gun. Now, it's time for load development. If anyone has any good loads let me know. I was thinking 25-27grns of Varget, 55gr Vmax, Win brass, and CCI 400 primers. Here are pics before and after.
d64688c0.jpg

1eeb9c79.jpg

cc9238ad.jpg

Last edited:
It certainly changed it's personality... I think that eventually, you will find your scope is a little too high power for most predator hunting...unless the majority of your shots will be in the 150+ yard range...

Most Predator hunters wind up with 2-10x range scopes due to the ease of getting on fur at closer quarters..but that is a subject for future consideration.... I like the overall effect...

Turtle,
I know it's probably a little higher power than alot of people might use, however I've always been a high magnification hunter. My dad worked with me alot when I was a kid about getting on target and then acquiring the target in the glass. I practiced it so much as a child that I got to where I challenged myself by using the highest magnification possible when hunting to see how fast I could pick up the target or already be on the target when my head fell behind the glass.

Looks good. I don't think I have ever heard anyone call the PRS light weight but if you happy, that is all that matters.
thumbup1.gif

You might want to double check you powder weight also if this gun is .223. 41-43 grains of Varget is way more than I think you could even get in a .223.

***Yes you are correct!! I had just finished up loading some .308 rounds last night when I posted that. I was loading 42.5 grains of RL15. I have no idea why I posted that!! I guess that's what I get for being up too late. No, I don't think you could pack 42 grains into a .223!! Everything else was correct, but let me replace the 42 with 25-27 grains of Varget. That shows someone is paying attention to what they read:).

As for the PRS, no it is not light itself as a stock, but the overall gun is light weight compared to what I'm used to. My tactical .308's are around 13-15 pounds. With the gun only having a 16" barrel it keeps alot of the weight down.

I shot it a few times today. I got it on paper at 100yds with some cheap ammo I had. I'll start working on a load for it in a few days. I'm gonna try the load I have for my Savage 10PC, but I'm just going to have to seat them a little deeper to feed out of the AR magazine.

My favorite load for hunting is a Sierra 55 grain Blitzking loaded up with 27 grains of Varget. It shoots around 1/2" groups on a regular basis. You will need a long drop tube to get all the powder in the case without overfilling the case. This is pretty close to a compressed load. If your rifle likes it as much as mine does you will be pleased. Just as a heads up the Blitzking if you decide to use it is slightly more frangible than other polymer tipped bullets in this caliber and I have heard reports of people having this bullet splash occasionally. I have not experienced this yet and all the dogs I have shot with it have only needed one shot and very few even took a step after being hit with it. I have a RRA EOP Varmint with 24" Barrel and a 1 in 8" twist.
ar15.jpg

I run 26gr of varget with a 52gr SMK or H4895 I can't remember off the top of my head how much but with 55gr Blitz.

Originally Posted By: varmintgitterMy favorite load for hunting is a Sierra 55 grain Blitzking loaded up with 27 grains of Varget. It shoots around 1/2" groups on a regular basis. You will need a long drop tube to get all the powder in the case without overfilling the case. This is pretty close to a compressed load. If your rifle likes it as much as mine does you will be pleased. Just as a heads up the Blitzking if you decide to use it is slightly more frangible than other polymer tipped bullets in this caliber and I have heard reports of people having this bullet splash occasionally. I have not experienced this yet and all the dogs I have shot with it have only needed one shot and very few even took a step after being hit with it. I have a RRA EOP Varmint with 24" Barrel and a 1 in 8" twist.
ar15.jpg

I am curious in regard to the 55 gr Blizking. I just started working with a 16" 1 in 8 stainless barrel and after reading Sierras data and literature on this bullet felt that it may be just what I was looking for. I zerod at 50yds useing a load of 26 grains of 748 with the 55 grain Blitz (it was obvious this is a very frangible bullet and begins to come apart right now on impact) at any rate I moved to 100 yards and shot a few 5 shot groups which were good except I couldn't really tell that there were five shots and suspected some may be coming apart before they got there. After reading your post I suspect they may all be getting there an coming undone on impact. At any rate I switched to a 55 grain V Max with the same 26 grains of 748 and these hover at .5 " (5 shot groups)and the suprise of the day was a 55 grain Hornady SP which easily shoots as well as either the Blitz or the V Max.

[/quote]
I am curious in regard to the 55 gr Blizking. I just started working with a 16" 1 in 8 stainless barrel and after reading Sierras data and literature on this bullet felt that it may be just what I was looking for. I zerod at 50yds useing a load of 26 grains of 748 with the 55 grain Blitz (it was obvious this is a very frangible bullet and begins to come apart right now on impact) at any rate I moved to 100 yards and shot a few 5 shot groups which were good except I couldn't really tell that there were five shots and suspected some may be coming apart before they got there. After reading your post I suspect they may all be getting there an coming undone on impact. At any rate I switched to a 55 grain V Max with the same 26 grains of 748 and these hover at .5 " (5 shot groups)and the suprise of the day was a 55 grain Hornady SP which easily shoots as well as either the Blitz or the V Max. [/quote]

Thats good to hear, currently I am playing around and working up a load with the 64 grain Berger Match Varmint Bullet. i will let you know how they perform as soon as I test them out. If they do well I will take them out into the field and give them a try.

I've only shot 2 'yotes with the 55 blitz and both performed flawlessly. But I'm interested in hearing about the 64 Berger.

Nice Job, now you got me wanting to convert my my RRA

Quote:and the suprise of the day was a 55 grain Hornady SP which easily shoots as well as either the Blitz or the V Max.

I just recently started loading the Hornady 55SP and was also pleasantly surprised.
I usually shoot 55 V-Max's on top of 25.5gr. Varget.
Replaced the V-Max with the SP and this is the result.
Needless to say I will be buying more.

Picture040.jpg

Last edited:
I have always been able to get flat base bullets to shoot better groups, I like the Blitzkings because they shoot flat, they have a really high BC.Berger flat base bullets shoot really well for me to bad they are not cheaper.

Back