How Low Do I Sight in at 25 yards to be on at 200yds?

You can't reliably sight in at 25 yards to use your rifle at 200 yards. It will depend on how high your scope or sights are above your bore, but typically, you should be 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inches low at 25 yards.

Listen to Dtech. He has lots of experience in this. I just want to add that a 1/4" off at 25 yards is extreme at long distance. I'd try to find a place where you can sight the 100 yards. I have a couple of his Ar's and are very accurate and reliable.

I am with dtech on this one between 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 at 25 but thats just mainly done to get me a good starting point for 100 yds sight in.

you'd be better off going the other way around.

Sight in at 200 and then find out your adjustments to be on at 25.

Like someone said, if your good at 25, you could still be inconsistent at 200. But if you zero for 200...the 25 shots should be a piece of cake

The 25 yd shoots are just to get you on paper from the start it is way to hard for anyone to start at 200 and work down to 25 you will waste way to many rounds just trying to get on paper at 200.

When I sighted in the last 2 guns I just pulled the bolt and looked down the barrel to make sure I was on the paper/target and had the target somewhat centered then adjusted the scope to be somewhat close. It at least got me on the paper at 100 yards.

I'm sure there are better/easier ways, it's just what worked for me.

Last edited:
There are too many variables to figure this out as you are trying. Please put in the range/field time and be responsible enough to make a safe and clean kill

Last edited:
If your mounts/rings put your optic 2.7 " above bore line use the Improved Battle Sight Zero (50 yard zero) this will put you about 2.5" low at 25 yards, about 2" high at a hundred yards and zero again at 200 yards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RabonIf your mounts/rings put your optic 2.7 " above bore line use the Improved Battle Sight Zero (50 yard zero) this will put you about 2.5" low at 25 yards, about 2" high at a hundred yards and zero again at 200 yards.

as long as your shooting at the same temperature and altitude, using the same bullet at the same velocity as Rabon is up in Alaska...

i sight in at 1" above bull at 25 and we have a metallic silhoette (SP) range with actual sizes in coyote at 100 yards, chicken at 250 and a pig at 350. I'm using a bushy predator with a schmidt and bender short dot cqb 1.1-4 and i nail them all day after a 25 yard zero. hornaday 55 grain.

Originally Posted By: roadkill46i sight in at 1" above bull at 25 and we have a metallic silhoette (SP) range with actual sizes in coyote at 100 yards, chicken at 250 and a pig at 350. I'm using a bushy predator with a schmidt and bender short dot cqb 1.1-4 and i nail them all day after a 25 yard zero. hornaday 55 grain.

I've never seen an AR that you could put above the bulls-eye at 25 yards and even come close to getting the bullet on paper at 100 yards. If you can see through the optics, they are going to be so high over the bore that you are going to have to be well below the bulls-eye at 25 yards to be close at 100 yards.

Over the years of building AR's, I have probably two customers a year that email or call me wondering why they can't hit the target at 100 yards after a 25 yard zero.

i'm not BSing, had my bud with me and his spotting scope..hit, hit, hit on the steel. IDK if it is the S&B with the FFP or the larue mount or what but anything from 25-to the size of a boar hog at 350 is hit dead on. not doubting you either, you build them, but from a rest everything was hit. my bud, who is 65 y/o was nailing the pig and the chicken w/o problems. also need to correct myself and say 1" low at 25, my mistake after i just reread my post. sorry! still killed them all!

Last edited:
Yup, That will make all the difference in the world.

Visualize the line-of-flight and line-of-sight as a hand-tool like a pair of pliers with the point where the line-of-flight crosses the line-of-sight being the hinge-point. The relatively short jaws of the plier would be represented by the area from the muzzle to the zero-crossing point. The long handles would be represented by the area from the zero crossing point out to say 300 yards.

Now you have a pair of pliers that have jaws that are 50 yards long, and handles that are 300 yards long. Think how much movement there will be in the long "handles" when you move the "jaws" a couple of inches!

Going from 1" low at 25 yards to 1" high at 25 yards will make the difference of being close at 100 yards, and not even hitting the backstop!

I got tired of wasting ammo trying to get a scope close when i changed a scope or ammo or guns..........so i came up with this......

i looked up a 60 vmax it has a bc of .265 I ran it on my ballistics program i used 3075 fps faster or slower fps will affect this a little slower will mean more drop but just a tenth or two at 100 yards

First i looked at bullet drop from the barrel. this bullet drops 2 inches at 100 yards and 8.7 at 200 yards.

I have sighted in guns using this info. Take out the bolt carrier group so you can look through the barrel. set the gun in a solid rest or bipod & bags . set a post out at 100 yards and make horizontal marks you can see at 100 yards.

look through the barrel and line the barrel up with the top mark left and right and up and down. adjust the scope to be on a mark 2 inches below the mark the barrel is lined up on at 100 yards. the more time you get these to line up ( 2 inches apart hi & lo and same left & right)the less ammo you will have to shoot.

if you have a good eye you should be close at 100 yards (and for sure on paper) when you shoot..... shoot ammo to zero your gun & scope at 100 yards....

i ran this through the ballistics program for a 200 yard zero... it said it would be 1.8 in high at 100 yards...

after you get the 100 yard zero... sight it to be 1.8 to 2 in high at 100 yards.....then shoot at 200 yards but you should be close....

R

it's dead on. problem was it was dead on last year also, took 30+ dogs. last month i was cleaning the bushy and had the upper laying on a chair, well my little 2 y/0 grandson figured out that he could pull up on the elevation knob and turn it. it seemed like he turned it just 3 clicks but that is why i had to go back to the range to reverify anyway zero before i started this season. little guy is smart, knows not to touch any guns but i think the upper only laying there was too much temptation with the knobs, loves to play with figuring stuff out. anyway, it shoots minute of coyote to as far as i care to shoot and where i'm at there are hardly any shots more than 150 yards anyway. it's mostly shotguns...wanna hear the groups from a Mossy 935, DC choke, DC 3" mags, Knoxx spec ops and a sig sauer micro red dot???? amazing!!!

I shoot a 6.5creedmoor 1-1/2 low at 25yds hit everything I shoot at from 25yds to we’re ever I’m shooting around 200yds 143gr hornaday precision hunter ammo

Back