How tight is tight for scope rings?

Wyomingite

I just installed scopes on a couple of rifles and tightened the bases and rings pretty much as tight as I could. Then I read somewhere to only go to 15 in/lbs. That seems way too loose to me. Like they would be a lot mor prone to moveing around. Is there any bad effects from over-tightening?

Last edited:
WYOMINGITE

I always torque the base screws from 15-17 in. lbs. And the scope ring screws 17-20 in. lbs. However I always use "BLUE" Loctite on all screws when mounting a scope. Using the BLUE should assure with 15 in. lbs everything will stay secure. Over tightening the screws may cause them to stress fracture at this time or even later from stress and also recoil.

AR

The problem with mounting your rings to tight is you can crash your scope! The only thing I tighten pretty good is the base to the rifle screws! I never use Blue Loctite but I have never had any screws back out either. These scope makers do know what they are talking about so just take their advice and do as they say. lol

If the rings are lapped and tightened in sequence I found that 15 in lbs. is perfect.

Over tightening, especially rings that aren't lapped can ruin a scope tube or at the very least mark it badly.

Last edited:
Guess that shows what I know!! I have never lapped any scope rings....never really heard of anybody doing it. Usually just slap the scope on, level it by eye, tighten, and go sight it in........

Last edited:
Rings that are lapped fit and contact the full width of the ring thus providing more contact to the scope body. Not only more but true flat contact which keeps the edges of the rings from crimping into the scope body.

Kinda hard for me to get all excited about "slapping" a $500-$1000 scope, anywhere, anyhow.

I lapp and blue locktite everyone. I had screw lossen up a ruined a Leupy. It slipped back and took all the black and a small amount of metal off. I use to just slapp them on to. But big heavy hitters will make you pay. Like skb said slapping $1000.00 scares me.

The Wheeler Torque wrench for guns is great. No more guessing when tighteneing scope ring screws and base screws. Don't know how I ever got a long without it!

Originally Posted By: stanlyThe Wheeler Torque wrench for guns is great. No more guessing when tighteneing scope ring screws and base screws. Don't know how I ever got a long without it!

Me too, I have ruined a couple scopes before I got one!

Guess I have never really though about marring the finish a little bit. Never sold a single gun. Once I buy, I keep so not to interested in how pretty they look when dis-assembled from the gun. Most are camo dipped anyway. Maybe a little bit OCD from some folks?

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Burris Signature Rings,,,

I say Amen to that, once I tried these I probably won't get anything else. Don't know why I didn't see the light years before.

If the rings/base(s) are worth a crap, the manufacturer will have data provided for torquing them down correctly.

Use a quality tool, don't go by 'feel'...

Originally Posted By: Wyomingite Maybe a little bit OCD from some folks?

OCD....you came here and ask the question. I believe that what you got were some pretty specific answers. If you didn't really want to know..........

Last edited:
Back