25-06 & Berger 115g VLD

SoDak

Has anyone worked up a load with either RL22 or IMR 4831?

Has anyone ever used this (particular) bullet for big game?

I'm a believer in the .30 cal 168 VLD after witnessing it's effectiveness on several deer. My 300WSM spits them out at a comfortable 3000fps though and I'm not sure what I'll be able to acheive with my 25-06. Thoughts?

This reply may be late in coming but had some huntin to do.

I used the berger 115vld's out of my cooper 25-06 this year and so far it has accounted for a 15" antelope at 310 yards and a young cow elk at 468 yards.

I'm using RL22 powder for a muzzle velosity of 3123fps. This load shoots very well out of my cooper, (1/4 to 1/2 MOA).

Included are a picture of the antelope and a pic of the bullet recovered from the elk. No pic of the elk. I shot her late and had to pack her out so nothing to take pictures of other than pieces of elk. Bullet weighted 80.4 grains at recovery

Bullet disintergrated(sp) on the speed goat and he looked like he had swallowed one of those suicide bombers vest. Ugly.

berger011.jpg

cmr2010010.jpg

Nice freakin' goat! Ain't a bad looking rifle either...

I've piled up a couple of deer with the 115 Berger out of the .25-06... Retumbo is my powder of choice, though Ramshot Magnum and 7828SSC put up equally impressive numbers. Most folks with a 24" pipe can get over 3100fps pretty easily with slow powder, a mag primer, and the 115 sitting at or in the lands.

I don't know how you guys have the guts to carry those Coopers out in the field. I would be too scared to scratch that pretty wood!
cry.gif

I have the Tikka in the 25/06 and have been using the IMR 4831. I need to play with the load alittle more when going up to the 115 bergers. Groups weren't that great, not bad, but not great. It really grouped great using the 100 gr Nosler Particians though. I basically use it for hunting Coues down here so I am sticking with the 100's, don't really need the 115's for 80-100 lbs coues deer.

Originally Posted By: Fat AlbertIs your barrel 1/10" or faster. that what they say. http://www.bergerbullets.com/Quick%20Reference%20Sheets%209-23-10.pd

Never seen one that ain't... unless it was an unfortunate re-barrel incident... or an old factory pipe.

Originally Posted By: PbchuckerI basically use it for hunting Coues down here so I am sticking with the 100's, don't really need the 115's for 80-100 lbs coues deer.

Don't really need a partition for Couse either... a 100 NBT would be a better pill...

Yeah your right on the NBT, but I'll stick with the particians just incase I actually get drawn for muleys down here.

I've taken one nice coues with a 55 v-max at 180 yds out of my AR and dropped it like a sack of you know what. The only reason I had to use the AR was due to me forgetting my mag for the 25/06.

Last edited:
I've never shot the VLD, but my Tikka shoots about 3/4" groups with 50.3 grains of imr 4831 and sierra 120 grain hp's. . .that load is just over half a grain shy of sierra's max load in my manual. It gives an average velocity of 3050 fps from the 22" barrel.

Pbchucker said:
I don't know how you guys have the guts to carry those Coopers out in the field. I would be too scared to scratch that pretty wood!
cry.gif

This gun just hung out in the safe for 2 years till I had nerve enough to hunt with it. It now has battle scars but its my "go to" gun if the range starts to get long. Besides, I got to have something pretty in the picture.

Rifles don't get pretty untill they see some battle... and life is to short to hunt with an ugly gun.

Last edited:
Back