30-06 Accelerator ammo

Ricky Bobby

I just wanted to ask everyone if they have had much experience shooting this ammo? I have a win mod 70 in 30-06 with a fiberglass stock and stainless barrel that is really light weight, and I got to thinking maybe this could make a great calling rig when shooting the accelerators! I normally call with a .22 hornet or my .204, but my 30-06 is always just sitting in my safe and I guess I would just like to find a reason to get it out and take some fur with it. I don't even know for sure if this type ammo can be found anymore, but let me know what you think.

Actually you can load your own,e.arthur brown(eabco)sells the sabots with the load instructions.You shoot them at speeds near 4800 fps and almost no recoil.Theyare fairly accurate. The xcelerator ammo is expensive and seasonal in distribution from remington.They make it for a short time and when supplys dry up.That is it till next year.That is why I load my own sabots.

I really need to get into reloading. Seems like it would be enjoyable! Something I've never tried or been shown how to do. Shooting 4800 fps could possibly be hard on a barrel couldn't it?

Last edited:
What? 4800 fps or is that a typo? Remington advertises them around 4,080 fps. I tried them in .30-30, .308, and .30-06 and never really had much luck with decent groups. But you won't know how they do in your particular rifle until you shoot some groups with them.

With that Ammo, any rifle can shoot just like my Mini 14
grin.gif

Have a buddy that thought he would get some for his 06 and we were trying to sight them in and the best we could get is at 100yds was 5 shots and you could not cover them with a bushel basket. Switched back to 150gr and 5 shots could be covered with a quarter.

Looks like the plastic would foul the [beeep] out of the barrel. Thats why I quit using sabots in my muzzle loader, cleaning after 2 or 3 shots get old IMO.

my 30-06s all shoot less than an inch with 168 bergers. so dont shoot the accelerators. previously they shot fast but poorly. i have seen some coyotes shot with them . they will do the job . the factory velocity is no exageration

If you have a lot of time - 22 bullets - powder - and more Time you might (might???) get them to work. Its kind of like those 45LC/410 Contender barrels. Sounds good on paper but it's a lot to ask a 45cal bullet to jump throught 2" of air before it hit the rifleing and be accurate. Targets looked more like you were shooting 12ga buck shot. PS: I bought one and wish I still had it. They are worth about 4 times what they cost to colletors.

Last edited:
Back