I'm Looking at a Savage 93R17 FV HMR...

GJ2nd

This is just going to be a truck gun, but I still want it to shoot good and hold POI.
What kinda of luck are you guys having with them? Any troubles? What size of groups are you guys geting?
This will be replacing a H&R 17hmr sporster.

THank you

GJ

Can't help you with the .17 HMR. I have a 93 in .22 WMR and easily get .75" groups at 50 yards with the 33 grain Remington Accu-Tips or the 30 grain Hornady V-Max.
I've not put a lot of 100 yard groups on paper but what I have gave me a 1.25" ave. with the Remington and a 1.70" ave. with the Hornady. Average bullet drop @ 100 yards was 1.5" with a 50 yard zero. I'll also note the rifle currently has a cheap CenterPoint scope.

I realize this isn't particularly helpful if you're shooting a .17 HMR except to point out that for an inexpensive rifle, the Savage 93 can be a pretty accurate rimfire right out of the box.

Last edited:
I actually just bought one of these today at my local gun store. I will have to wait for the weeked to let you know how it shoots.

They shoot from very good to great. 1 1/2 @ 100 is a not so good one,
well under an inch for a great one @ 100. Go to rimfire central and do
some reading on them.

I bought a SS blk. sythentic stocked 93. It shoots about 1.25 consistently with all the ammo I have shot. Unlike most of the posts Ive read, the wind dont seem to affect it as much as some have said. Overall Im pleased with it.

I have the heavy barrel version with laminated wood stock. It'll shoot Hornady 17gr. into about 1 1/4"-1 1/2" @ 100yds. The 20gr. are not as good. Love the gun for rabbits and squirrels, but I don't trust it for coyotes. The wind tends to wreak havoc with them little bullets, but it's a ton of fun to shoot!!

Originally Posted By: HereticI'm shooting about +/- 1" at 100yds with Hornady ammo. Hvy barrel synthetic stock.
Me too. I'm very happy with mine. It's mainly a rifle I use for the close range pd's 50-150 yds.
I may take it out for coons if I can find some coons around here.

Sand bagged mine will shoot dime size groups @ 100 but the magazine and loading the 1st round is awful. Terrible feed problems but shoots fantastic. I won't send it back for them to fix so it is what it is. I'll probably order another L-clip and that should fix it.

Originally Posted By: OmnivoreSand bagged mine will shoot dime size groups @ 100 but the magazine and loading the 1st round is awful. Terrible feed problems but shoots fantastic. I won't send it back for them to fix so it is what it is. I'll probably order another L-clip and that should fix it.

I Have the SS bull barrel laminated thumb hole stock Savage 17HMR. Mine shoots the 17 GR Winchester Supreme ammo better than any other. I Have tried them all.

Mine will shoot under 3/4 inch groups at 100 Yds. with the Winchester ammo, but shoots the Hornady and CCI at around 1 inch groups.

I also had the light barreled SNY. stock Savage 17HMR that shot 1 inch and less with the Winchester, Hornady and CCI ammo.I gave it to my Daughter.

And like in the post quoted both have the same feeding problems for the first round out of the Mag.

When I first bought the laminated stock one I was expecting to get 1/2 inch groups and better because of how accurate I heard the 17HMR's were, I was disappointed when I was only getting 1 inch groups at 100 Yds. with Hornady ammo, so I called Savage and talked to them about the accuracy I was getting. In short they said that if I was getting one inch groups that is about all I could expect from their line of 17HMR's.

I have put somewhere close to 1500 Rds through the SS one shooting Sage Rats in Eastern Oregon to date. I have not had it to the range lately but do believe it will shoot better groups now than when it was new. I think the barrel is broke in now.
thumbup.gif

Can I say it is one of the most fun Cartridges and rifles to shoot that I have owned.
tt1.gif
thumbup.gif

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

I am DAB and I approved this post
blink.gif

Last edited:
Just a heads up, but, if ya have dicks sporting goods stores near you they got these on sale now in 17 hmr, 22 lr, and 22 wmr with scope for $250 bucks.

Heavy bull fluted barrel with greeen composite stocks.

Back