70 grain bullets/22-250

getfoxy

I've got some 70 grain bullets I would like to load up, my rifle is a 1:12 twist. Will these work? Also someone told me that when I switch from loading my 55g with h-380 powder, I need to switch powder when I go to the 70 grainers. This dosent make sense to me?

I don't think your 12 twist will like 70gr bullets you may get it to shoot the Speer semi spitzer but for anything else you will probably need a faster twist my 12 twist LRPV wont shoot them but my 8 twist 22-250AI will shoot up to the 80gr Amax very well, my 12 twist will shoot up to the 64gr Berger but not anything any longer

Originally Posted By: getfoxyI've got some 70 grain bullets I would like to load up, Also someone told me that when I switch from loading my 55g with h-380 powder, I need to switch powder when I go to the 70 grainers. This dosent make sense to me?

With different weights in bullets you will often find different powders listed. For instance, My Hornady Manual shows your H380 listed for 55 and 60 grn bullets only. However you can find some powders that will work with a larger spread of bullet weights. For instance Varget is shown for quite a few bullet weights, But from what I see IMR 4064 has a very wide spread.. from 40 gr bullets all the way to 68 grn bullets.. The burning rate of the powder has alot of influence.

getfoxy,
It's not so much the weight of the bullet, but the length of the bullet that determines if it will stabilise in this twist or that. A 70gr pill out of 22-250 might be a bit like a lead arrow compared to a 55gr pill. To each his own. The heavier the pill the slower the best suited powder. In my 22-250 with 55gr pills Varget and RL15 work well. With a 70gr pill you might find that H4350 or RL19 might be better suited.

Another question is Why? Why a 70gr pill. How far and what are you shooting that you need a 70gr pill in a round designed for 55gr pills.

I was thinking about using it for a little bit of deer hunting this fall because I see alotta coyotes out deer hunting and my 30-06 and my 308 are pretty rough on them.

I have shot the same bullet out of a 220 swift with a 12 twist and they shot pretty good, also taken a couple deer with them. i use IMR4064! and it should work good in the 22-250 also. they turned Jack rabbits inside out too. as always you need to try them to see how they perform out of your rifle....

The 220 Swift might be able to push them hard enough to stabilise them. If I was going to use a 250 to shoot deer I'd use a Barnes 53gr TSX. You'll get the pace and flatness of a 22-250 and the killing power of a calibre higher.

Foxy, IME, your Speer 70 semi-spitzer may, or may not stabilize in your 12 twist. I shoot 69 gr SMK's out of my 8 twist 22-250, and they shoot WELL ! For whatever reason, my 9 twist Mini-Mauser 223 doesn't even like the Speer 70's, why, I don't know??? I've never even tried the SMK's in the 223, because it LOVES the cheapie Remmy 50 HP's for some reason !! It boils down to - try them and see!
Mark

70's are going to be borderline at best in a 1:12. Some barrels may shoot
them and most will not. My 1:14 won't even stabilize a 55 grain. 52 is
tops. I would say a 1:8 is ideal for a 70 grain. .63 Is the max bullet length
for a 1:12 and .93 is max for a 1:8. Those are off the greenhill formula.
Doesn't mean any particular gun won't do better, just that all guns will
stabilize them.

Back