Tubes for ATV Tires?

Rustydog

I am wondering if anyone puts tubes in ATV tires as added protection from hazards?

I must have run over some barbed wire last week and have had a problem with a slow leak ever since. Could tubes help or is that a bad idea?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Rustydog

I have used Slime for years, in all of my ATVs, bicycles, etc., with great results. It is much easier than fixing flats. You just put in in, and re-inflate the tire. When an offending object punctures your tire, the Slime inside seals the hole, and you usually never even realize there was a problem. It will plug holes up to 1/4". You can usually find it at most auto parts stores, or Wally World, etc. Here is their website if you are interested in reading about it...

http://www.slime.com/product/74/Tire-Sealant.html

I think tubes are a bad idea. I would bet my tires have a average of 10 plugs in each. I have slime in mine and my tires do go down if my bike is sitting, but if i use it everyday they stayed aired up. With a tube everytime I put a mesquite thorn thru a tire it would be flat and have to be broken down to fix. If I have a flat I just put a plug in it and go on. I carry a plug kit and a can of fix a flat with me all the time.

drscott

John,

Out here with the mesquites, greasebrush & cactus....

I have learned to use 6 ply heavy duty tires & lots of slime.
wink.gif
I also carry a plug kit & small air compressor with me, lest I have to walk back to the ranch house.

The best thing is the 6 ply tires. I never even let the 2 ply factory tires leave the dealership. I have them change the tires before I take the 4 wheeler out. I very seldom have to do anything but add a litle air now & then, & perhaps some more slime once a year because the slime can dry out inside a tire over time. Only plugged one tire in the past 4 years.
thumbup1.gif

Those heavy duty tires are worth the money! You can even run them flat for awhile. They are stiff enough to hold the 4 wheeler up and get you home.

Thganks for the great advice! I bought Slime and will replaqce my stock tires with 6 ply. Where is the best Web Sites or ? to get a set?

Rustydog

I have ITP Mudlites on my Honda with Slime in them. The plugs are also a great idea. I think my 25's were around $52 apiece. they are one tough tire!!

Back