accuracy expectations from a 7mm mag. model 700?

jileydog

i shoot consistently slightly sub moa with my 700 in 243.
(my motabulary dont sound right in my 1st sentence) anywho, about me--- i am a mediocre to terrible rifle shooter. this 700-243 i have just stacks em up sub moa for me even though i have a terrible flinch, don't like recoil at all, don't shoot much, don't reload and buy the cheap rounds usually. i do have one credick [beeep]!! i have some top notch instruction/experience on how to shoot and shoot well on BR 100yds.
my 700 243 trumps my bad skills. i want to shoot my 7 mag some!! easy MOA?? can't hit paper? thanx rick

I have a 7mm in the 700 and I can consistently shoot 5 shot groups that measure about 7/8" with my reloads

there's no reason why a 700 in 7 rem mag can't shoot 1.5 moa or better, even when handicapped by factory ammo.

my 700 in 7 rem mag will do .8" at 100 yards w/ federal ammo - possibly the cheapest, least accurate ammo that can be found.

bear in mind the 7 rem mag will have substantially more recoil than a 243. i don't find the recoil to be abusive or objectionable, but some do.

Depends on you, I figure. The gun should shoot well. This is the best 100 yd group out of mine. 3 shots. Don't worry about the printed number on the target, the wind blew when I was applying the sticker so it was a little of level!

GEDC0251.jpg

140 Gr Sierra Game King
63.0 Gr RE22

IF you have a flinch while shooting the .243, you are really gonna flinch when you shoot that 7mag, if you don't get scoped in the process. I would advise that you get some bench practice with a 22, then your 243 and when you are good with that, get your 7 mag out. Just my.02, but I think it would really help you though. Flinching is probly just due to the expectation of the things to come. If you have someone with you, they can put a dry round in for you and that will show you how bad your flinch really is.

Remember to breathe, and to relax. Gently squeeze your trigger and don't PULL it, that helps a bunch.

I have a 700 KS Mountain rifle in 7mag that will put 3 shots in .5" if I do my part.
I agree with above poster, if the .243 bothers you recoil wise, you'll defintely have issues with the 7mag.

thanx for the info. i have shot this thing some and it didnt group well-about 4-5 inches. had some work done on it since-recrowned, floated, torqued, etc. gonna shoot it today. about my flinch, i have a good excuse--- a model 600 .308 w/ no pad and 180 grn bullets. i was a small skinny kid and thats what i was handed right off for deer huntin.the kick didnt move back as much as it dug into my bony kid shoulder and would be extremely painful. small stock with edges on a very light gun just too much for a kid. all i had though...
my older larger bro wouldnt even shoot it. ye ole 30-30 would have been soooooooo much better.

anyway, i will try this 7mmm and see how it goes. i now expect better than previous groups. try some diff. ammo.
just might be in a trading mood if i cant shoot it.

First gun that I was handed was the old parker-hale 30-06. Shot my first deer with it, and have shot every elk with it. I still have it today. I guess I have been packing that thing in the mountains for 25 years now.

I really think that you should take someone with you, or get an ol' guy at the range to help you and tell him your problems, either way they will be able to help you I think. I hope it all works out for you though. Good Luck.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Depends on you, I figure. The gun should shoot well. This is the best 100 yd group out of mine. 3 shots. Don't worry about the printed number on the target, the wind blew when I was applying the sticker so it was a little of level!

GEDC0251.jpg

140 Gr Sierra Game King
63.0 Gr RE22

I shot a 3-shot group yesterday with my 7mag almost identical to pahntr760's.
I think it was 68.3 grains of RE22 and a 120 Nosler BT.
It's a new rifle and I was checking out a new load, so I don't know if it was just a fluke or not. I hope NOT.
laugh.gif

I wouldn't expect much, definately not like your 243...

7 Mag will take some trigger time and practice to shoot well...

You need to get rid of your flinch first. A 7 RM is not going to help it and only worsen your bad habit.

You also need to try several types of factory ammo in it, dont have to be premium to shoot good, just find what it likes. Handloading is the way to go for accuracy...

My 7 mag with my handloads would regularly do 3/8"-1/2" for 3 shots at 100 yards with its few preferred pet loads. It was a factory tuned up Rem 700 BDL custom deluxe with trigger work, Holland QD brake, leupold base/rings and leupold 6-18x fine duplex target scope. It would also ring a 15" gong at 1K with boring regularity.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI got two words for ya!! Muzzel Brake!!

WHAT DID YOU SAY?????? SPEAK UP SIR! LOL

willco!! muzzle brake-good ideer!! i have gotten shed of my flinchin many times--seems to only return on every discharge above a rimfire. i have beat it back pretty good on rimfiring...only shows up for cf. had a misfire shootin clay pigeons one day...boy my flinch is embarrassing. aint sure if i can call em my friends either. they laughed like a hyena on the click of that one.

I MUCH APPRECIATE YA'LL FILLIN IN SOME HOLES FOR ME. WILL SHOOT IT SOON AND POST A REPORT..
THANX

Welcome to Predator Masters jileydog!!

You won't ever shoot well till you get over the flinch. Any other "fixes" will be just pizzin in the wind till then.

Buy a few bricks of 22LR and an accurate rifle and shoot them over and over until you fix the flinch. Then shoot the 243 a lot. Don't shoot the 7 mag! I would suggest a new recoil pad over the Muzzle Brake as a first fix. Shooting from the bench can be painful depending on the way you snuggle in. I would recommend that you sit more erect, then laying over the rifle (I hope that describes what I am trying to say). You have to get your head in the right place to be successful.

Also, are you the only one who shoots the 7 Mag poorly? If an experienced shooter can shoot it well then it is not the gun.

I don't know what you guys ae talking about, my Savage 7mm Rem Mag makes .284 single holes "all day long!"

It may take 3000 round of rimfire to get rid of your flinch. I really hate to hear of someone that knows they flinch getting a 7 Mag.

I am a 7 Mag freek. I put muzzle breaks on all of mine and wear peltor Tac 6 electronic ear muffs when I hunt. My 7 Mag kicks about like a 243, or perhaps a little less.

My 700 shoot simply unreal with the actions bedded, barrels freefloated, 4-16 Bushnell 4200's or Pentax 6-24's for power line deer sniping.

For a lighter load that kills very well at shorter ranges, 59.0-6.0g of IMR 4350 with a 120g Sierra or 120 Nosler ballistic tip @3000 fps shoots extremely well with light recoil.

Back