What is the best .243 bullet for Whitetails

I know I will get flamed for saying this, but I have killed a pile of deer with "varmint" bullets. The 70 g. Sierra matchking, 75 g. Vmax, and even the 58 grain Vmax have accounted for alot of jerky and straps...

Barnes bullets make me nervous being there is no lead to come apart to spread out and aid in engergy transfer...are you shooters realy getting DRT performance out of the 6mm bullets?

Another Barnes 85gr TSX deer. My daughter's first deer shot this morning. Treated the lungs just as any other bullet would, and I know it will break both shoulders if it needs to. About all you can ask for from a bullet out of a .243 IMO.

IMG_1479.jpg

85 grain Nosler Partitions?

my gun wont shot anything much more than 85 grains but my dad has killed a few mule deer a javelina and an antelope or two with it before he handed it on to me he was shooting some 85 grain nosler partitions he loaded hes just said limit my shots nothing to far

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorBarnes bullets make me nervous being there is no lead to come apart to spread out and aid in engergy transfer...are you shooters realy getting DRT performance out of the 6mm bullets?

Several DRT's out of my .243 using the TSX, both deer and hogs.

In the regular cup and core bullets, the 100g Hornady BTSP is a fantastic bullet both accurate and tough. I called in a 200 lb white tail in Kansas 3 years ago and my nephew killed it with my 243 at 325 yards, one shot-quartering from left front shoulder to under the hide on the back of the opposite rib cage...he went about two steps.

The 95g Nosler partition is my favorite with IMR 4350 with the Win primer.

I bought a box of Barnes Tripple shocks and worked up two very accurate loads with them, the fastest being with 45.5g of R#19 and a win primer. Have yet to kill anything with this bullet.

I like the 95gr. Partition IMR4350 and 85gr.X bullet and RE19. I also had good luck with the 85gr. Speer BT also with RE19. They all work well on the smaller deer we have here in Arkansas. The Partitions are right around 2,900fps. and the 85gr.Speers right at 3,000fps. and the Barnes 85gr. triple shock at 3,200fps. on my chrono. And thats out of my Ruger ultra-light 20" barrel.

Back