Dog work at night

Tony, it's clear your idea of a "decoy dog" and some others(including mine) is diff.
What exactly "decoy" was in that video"????
You give decoy dogs a bad name. You wanna call Gunner a catch dog, fur biter, or whatever , thats fine, But I sure haven't seen any "decoy" work in anything you have posted.
You claim this whole "escapade" was to "kill more calf killers", how many yotes did you kill after your little "game"??? also, how many has Gunner cost you by bailing out at night with no command?
Train your dog how ever you see fit, not my buss.
I have to give it to ya, marketing to the new guys in the Pred hunting forum should be good for your buss.
Pretty easy to "fool some of the guys some of the time."
As for a lesson in manners, Think about that one.

I don't think Tony claims gunner as a sole "decoy" dog. As he said earlier he's multifaceted. Given the situation I think all is good.

In the "original post" Gunner is a "decoy dog".
That is what I was refering to.
"Here is a video from the other night that shows why I use a coyote decoy dog, even at night" Tony Tebbes words, not mine.

Last edited:
He wasnt a decoy dog in that clip but has been in many others and in front of tons of guys on here and not on here i have seen it with my own 2 eyes, his decoy work.

Come on guys we have enough people trying to kill our hunting rights we sure dont need to start it between our selves.

It was a great clip and great dog work for a not so perfect shot that we all do from time to time. And there was no way of getting another shot off safely, so the right choice was made.

There are alot of great dog guys here and great dogs as well each has there own way of hunting and training no need in putting down on others dogs and there way of hunting, WE HAVE THE GOV. FOR THAT.

Last edited:
I have a 2 year old male black lab in my kennel. His name is "Race" he is trained to do the following:

1. He retrieves ducks, geese, pheasants, doves and any other bird I send him for.

2. He is trained to detect and find dead lesser-prairie chickens that have been killed from striking fences or power lines.

3. He has been trained to identify Red Wolf scat from coyote, gray wolf, dog, and bobcat scat with a 98% accuracy rate (its in the literature).

4. Today the hunters down the road arrowed a buck this morning and couldn't find him. I took him down there and he found him in about 25 minutes...this was his first time...so now he is a blood trailer.

5. He can be a [beeep] head in the kennel and he is try-sexual (i.e. he will "try" to breed anything once).

When folks ask me about him I call don't call him my cadaver-lesser-prairie-chicken-geese-duck-pheasant-red wolf blood tracking-tri-sexual retriever.... I just call him "s%$thead".

My point.....hardly think its worth arguing over "names" used to describe our working dogs.....if anyone on here has a great video of a DECOY dog workin' then how about posting it!!!!

I think there are lots of good dog men on here. And all of you have great dogs....If they do what YOU need or want them to do that is all that matters.....

FYI....I have hunted with Tony.....He bent over backwards to work around my CRAZY work schedule. I could only hunt one day and couldn't start until mid-morning...We had a great hunt...I was impressed with the dog work....Will go again if I get the chance.....

And...If I ever get in Duane's neck of the woods I'll hunt with him if he'll have me!!!!

NO REASON we can't all be civil and get along. NO to dog men in the world do things exactly the same!!

Brian

Last edited:
I enjoy all types of dog work but i'm really not impressed by this video. Not that he whacked the coyote in the head or anything like that. I would've whacked my dog in the head if he bailed outta the pickup without a command. I don't train my dog to "jump" on a shot. Also, i agree there is no decoying involved but what do i know, i'm just a rookie. I've hunted over decoy dogs and I ain't never seen any videos of Gunner decoying. Not trying to start a pissing match, just calling it as I see it.

That all depend on how you have your dog trained and until you hunt with Gunner you dont know how he has him trained, I have seen it first hand and he goes and stays as Tony wants him to, so no ones needs to go to making comments about him untill they sit behind him and watch him work,Everyone trains and expects different stuff from there dogs.

Last edited:
never hunted behind gunner since tony has had him so i dont know what he does, i havent seen a video of him doing what i would call decoying, but nobody on here has ever seen a video of mine decoying, and i know mine will but i dont have any video of it. everyones style is different, long as my dog works for me and your dog works for you its all good, i'm lucky and have got to hunt behind some very good dogs that belong to guys i work with so i have got to watch alot of different styles but one thing in common is they all went out and decoyed a coyote back to you, i can see where duane is coming from on the video and saying decoy dog, no decoying in it but a good recover job, like i said different strokes for different folks, when i shoot my dogs roll out, just the way i want them to work, but i can stop them if i need to, sorry if this pissed anyone off

went over and read everything in the other post about this, dang i dont see anything wrong with the video, looks just like a another day at the office to me, i thought the title said "why i use a decoy dog at night" well it just says dog not decoy dog, i didnt see any decoying but i did see a dog stop a wounded runner and he was doing his job, now i'm sure everyone on here that uses dogs use them alittle different so its all good, my mistake i thought it said decoying at night

Originally Posted By: StraightlineIt’s hard to believe that hounds men are arguing amongst one another? I don't get it?

When your on top, people try and knock you down.
thumbdown.gif

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuTony, it's clear your idea of a "decoy dog" and some others(including mine) is diff.
You give decoy dogs a bad name. You wanna call Gunner a catch dog, fur biter, or whatever , thats fine, But I sure haven't seen any "decoy" work in anything you have posted.
You claim this whole "escapade" was to "kill more calf killers", how many yotes did you kill after your little "game"??? also, how many has Gunner cost you by bailing out at night with no command?
I have to give it to ya, marketing to the new guys in the Pred hunting forum should be good for your buss.

So you're saying the folks in the pred hunting forum are easy to fool ?

Here you go, it's kind of a cluster (*&^@ of a filming job on my part, but here is some decoying action from Nov of last year. Gunner is only 10 months old in this film, so be patient with him.

I'm sorry if you feel that I am giving decoy dogs a bad name. I don't believe that is the case at all.

Tony

Originally Posted By: yfzduner450
"On top" that's a pretty bold statement.

No, not "bold" just accurate. What kind of statement is this?

Originally Posted By: yfzduner450
I would wack my dog in the head if it jump out without command.

Originally Posted By: RJM AcresOriginally Posted By: Duane@ssuTony, it's clear your idea of a "decoy dog" and some others(including mine) is diff.

Well I guess im 1 of the guys Tony fooled with his DECOY DOGS. I dont think that everybody has the same idea of decoying dogs. Some people have them to lure them in with a chase, some have them there to finish for bad shot, and some have them there to watch the amazing work they do. To each their own, I just dont think we should be arguing about about who's right and wrong. Like it was said before we have enough people out there against us we dont need it with in us. Thats one thing I've notice lately is alot of bickering about the way people think or do stuff.If you dont do something the same way someone else does is fine not everyone does. Everybody trains there dog that works for them. We are not here to please everyone. We are here to enjoy and share videos, pics, and info on everything that goes on in the hunting world.

Originally Posted By: RJM AcresOriginally Posted By: Duane@ssuTony, it's clear your idea of a "decoy dog" and some others(including mine) is diff.

Kind of a SORRY statmeant from a so called MOD uh.

Pretty much lets everyone know how he feels about us and our loved sport and site, I am not going to get into to any more of this pissing match. But that is a major disapointmeant from a MOD , Think its well past time for a new one to step up and LOVE this site and the sport of Predator hunting ,
evening if he doesnt believe in another mans way of training.
All men train and expect different stuff from there dogs , but to call another mans dog out like that and then turn right back around and pretty much say the guys in the Predator section will believe anything, really doesnt need to be a MOD here, because his heart isnt in the right place.

Daune we have always got along good and i have really enjoyed you pictures, but with that one comment you lost alot of respect from me along with alot of others as a Dog man , guide , Custom Gun builder and Most of all as a MOD on here.
We have some of the best dog men , Custom cal builders, Hunters and the Best sponsors in the outdoor busniess, but when we go to fighting and talking about each other like this, the Gov and Anti hunters are loving it, Not counting the sponsors paying good money to be here , its a reason we have way more sponsors then all the other forums.
It because of the pride we show in this place and the time alot of the guys spend here teaching the young ones coming up along with the older ones of us that are willing to learn and help where we can. And you showed your true colors about how much you care about this site. And I along with alot of others hope the Higher powers do something about it SOON.
Before we get the rep. of some of the halfa## other forums on the net and start losing sponsors and the Great memebers we have here.Because of all this jealousy and bad mouthing of another mans dog , just because he is doing good with it.Sure isnt a way to keep a site on the right track and SURE ANT HOW us as memebers and i am VERY sure the sponsors dont want to se coming from a so called MOD.

I havnt been here near as long as some of the others but you are anyone else wont find a sport i love more and a site on the net i will stand up for like this one, I along with alot of other have kids that are memebers here because it is such a great site and we can trust this place to let our kids come here and look and learn.
I know just from the few times we have talked you a man that says whats on your mind and that good i do as well most of the time, but i am not a MOD here , i do watch alot of the stuff i do being i am a Custom Call builder just because i respect this site.
If you didnt like the way a man hunts his dog so be it dont look at his post, thats what i do if i see a poster where we dont see eye to eye.

And by the way you might as well call Buster, Barrys dog out to i havnt hunted with him but have watch alot of clips of him and he pretty much hunts his dog like Tony does.
But they both love there dogs and do what the expect of them and thats all that matters. I alone with alot of others love the way both those dogs hunt. Very well mannand and gets the job done.
But the main point i was trying to make was this you have let this site down by talking about another mans dog and the jealousy you showed and hqave fell VERY SHORT of your job as a MOD.

I know i want make any fans with this post and for that i am very sorry, I just dont think a Mod are anyone else for that matter should call out another mans dog like that.
Like someone else has said its like calling your kids ugly and your wife fat. JUST NOT COOL

Last edited:
Back