6X45 Ballistics

I have spent all morning researching the 6x45 and have found a few answers, but I still have plenty of questions. I am thinking of getting one of the Black Hole 6x45's because my girlfriend has been coyote hunting with me a few times and really seems to enjoy it and has expressed some interest in going deer hunting. I really don't deer hunt anymore but I do have several weapons suited for the task(multiple .308's, .30-06,.25-06, .270 and .280) however she has shot them all at the range and is NOT down with the recoil of any of them.

1. In your opinion, is the 6x45 adequate for deer sized game?

2. If so, what are it's limitations?

3. What factory ammunition would you recommend for this task, as I do not reload yet?

4. This would be her rifle and in order to keep things simple, would this rifle coupled with the recommended factory deer capable ammo be considered dual purpose for coyote/deer?

5. Am I way off base? Any other nuggets of wisdom would be appreciated?

Please help, I'm desperately trying to keep her intersted in the outdoors as she does have a modicum of natural skill for never having done this. Heck, she went and bought a Diamond Bow to go hog hunting with me and this chick can shoot!

Thanks
Chupa

I cannot speak to the factory ammo, but I would have no hesitations shooting deer with my reloads. My wife is small-framed and is very recoil sensitive and she loves the 6x45. My 8 year-old nephew also loves to shoot it.

1. Yes
2. Range would probably be the limitation, 300-400 yards depending on the shooter
3. Not much for factory ammo, I think there is one manufacturer and it's pretty spendy
4. Definitely, but again, there isn't much for choice on the factory ammo
5. Nope, not off base.

Reloading for it would be the way to go. It's pretty easy to do and you can get into it for a reasonable cost. Then you can customize a load for coyote and for deer.

Just my 2 cents, but hope it helps.

*Edit*
Here's a link to the ammo thread
Ammo Thread
Check the bottom of this page, it has 62gr, 85gr and 100gr ammo from Black Hills
Black Hills ammo
Midway USA has some ammo too.
Midway Ammo

Last edited:
I have shot two deer with mine just using varmit type bullets. Both were about 175yds.

IMG_0350.jpg

You might also look into Remington reduced recoil for the 308. I have some friends that use them for spouse/kids loads. They must be popular because they are hard to find according to them.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeIf a .223 will kill deer, a 6x45 should do it aswell or better.

grin.gif
I know, and have said that a .223 can take deer sized game on here before. But I don't think I would recommend it for an inexperienced hunter. I think what I meant was on the average do you think it would be enough for someone who might have a little higher likelihood of making a less than perfect shot? I don't want to handicap her, but I want it to be responsible to, and don't know if this chambering fills that niche. I know any caliber is capable of a lost or wounded animal, so what I'm asking is...would you feel comfortable with your little girl going into the woods with this?

Thanks
Chupa

My nieces (12-16 yrs old) have shot all their mule deer with a 223. None of them have gone very far after being hit. Most have dropped where they stood.

The nice thing about the 6x45 is that it has a little more energy behind a larger bullet.

I am thinking 6x45 here as well

I started to go 257-223 because I love my 25s but bullet selection under 100 grs is minimal and it is just not really that popular maybe it will catch on

So what are some real world numbers one can expect from a 6x45?

What length barrel do you need to reach full potential of velocity of say a 60-80 gr bullet

Since someone else brought up the idea, I must add that some varmint bullets perform quite well on deer sized game. I have shot a few deer with the 70gr Nosler in a 243 at ranges out to 300. If you kept a 6x45 with the same bullet inside 150, I would imagine that the velocities would be comparable. The 70 Nosler works very well on varmints too.

Originally Posted By: nitisI am thinking 6x45 here as well

I started to go 257-223 because I love my 25s but bullet selection under 100 grs is minimal and it is just not really that popular maybe it will catch on

If you find someone building the 25/223 uppers let me know, I too would want one.

6x45
All bullets will kill, as with any caliber....shot placement is key. I own one of the New Frontier uppers and will be getting more as I plan to convert most of my current 223's to 6x45, love the bullet choices.

I have a 50rd box Blackhills 100gr shells. I am loaning t to a buddy to rifle gun hunt with, no doubt in my mind that it will take a deer cleanly. I just finished getting a workable load finished for predators using Speer 70gr TNT's, I would not think twice about using it on deer or even a smaller hogs.

Last edited:
Back