No coyotes but 1 bobcat came in, got some pictures.

derbyacresbob

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

The above pictures I took yesterday morning when I was headed out to do some coyote calling. It was very warm for this time of the year at the elevation I was hunting at. I didn't call in any coyotes so I started looking for deer and checking out some new country. At about 4:00 pm I decided to do one last call off of a small rocky ridge in some open country. I have taken quite a few coyotes from this spot the last 5 years or so.

I set up in the rocks close to the top of the ridge with my rifle and shotgun. I had my camera sitting next to me because there were too many ways for a coyote to get away from me if I tried to take pictures before shooting my shotgun. I started out playing my Fury with Prairie Dog Distress on volume 40. At about 2 minutes into it, I see a animal running fast up through the rocks so I was pretty sure I had a coyote charging in.

WRONG, it was a bobcat! I have never seen a bobcat run in as fast as this one did and it was not even bobcat country. It stopped about 20 feet from my caller right behind a rock so I slowly set down my shotgun and picked up my camera.
IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

This is where the bobcat stopped at. I tried to get it to move by lowering the volume and changing sounds. This bobcat would not move, he stayed right there for at least 8 to 10 minutes. So I decided to try to call in a coyote so I changed sounds to Lightning Jack on full volume 40. As soon as I switched to Lightning Jack on full volume the bobcat crouched down and started sneaking in closer to the caller. The bobcat walked right up to the Fury and SP-55 external speaker. I was a idiot for not setting my caller where I could see it!
IMG_1700.jpg

In this picture the bobcat is right next to my caller.

IMG_1709.jpg

Here is the bobcat heading out. I barked at him to get him to look back at me.

IMG_1726.jpg

Here is the bobcat in the middle of the ridge.

IMG_1732.jpg

No coyotes but I had a great day.

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob, great photos...that's a nicely marked cat. So, no tags or just letting him walk? I think I would've put that one on the stretcher.

Nice job!

Hello Switch, I just don't want to shoot bobcats bad enough to buy the tags. I get more excited taking their pictures than I did when I was shooting them.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyWhats standing in the background in the second to last picture?

In the flat there is some cattle and past them are some hills that are about 5 miles away. The bobcat is standing on the ridge, but he is pretty close.

This location is a great calling spot. It is easy to get to it in a vehicle without being seen and there are miles of country to call out into. Two different times at this spot I have heard Ravens way off in the distance and then spotted the Ravens headed my way with a coyote under the Ravens running towards my caller at a very fast pace. It is pretty cool to see a coyote out there at 800 yards or more and have it next to the caller in 2 minutes or less.

You have more luck calling in bobcats than I do. I can't believe the discipline that you have.

The pics are awesome as always. That is some amazing background in the pics. Looks like it might have taken awhile to walk up there though.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobHello Switch, I just don't want to shoot bobcats bad enough to buy the tags. I get more excited taking their pictures than I did when I was shooting them.

Bob, I completely understand. There is just something special when they come into the stand. Nice photos!

Back