I need pelt friendly ammo for 223 for fox

Just a few, we don't have a ton of foxes around here and most of the ones that I have seen have been at night or early mornings on fringes of thick cover.

I have good luck with the blackhills 52gr match HP's. I get very minimal pelt damage as long as I can keep it off the shoulder.

TJ

Its a pity you don't reload, Barnes 45gr banded solids are my absolute favorite for foxes and Coons. I've loaded in 223 and 221 FB. tiny tiny holes

How are the Remington UMC 50 gr. hollowpoints, they seem like they could make a mess of things, but will they put them down?
DaFUnk

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: gonzagaI have the CZ Varmint rifle, and I use the 45 JHP from winchester, never had a problem with pelt damage.

No damage on fox ? How many have you shot ?
thanks
===================================================================
Tim,
I shoot between 40 and 50 foxes every year with 223's shooting 50, 55, and 60 grain V Max's; 204 using 40 Bergers; swift using 55 NBT's and I never have a problem with pelt damage!!
smirk.gif

I didn't say there wasn't any damage, I just don't have a problem with it!!!
w00t.gif
w00t.gif
w00t.gif

F1

Originally Posted By: TDAVISI have good luck with the blackhills 52gr match HP's. I get very minimal pelt damage as long as I can keep it off the shoulder.

TJ

My favorite factory ammo as well, use them for coyotes and have very little pelt damage unless I actually hit the scapula.....which ain't often.

ETA: I haven't used them for fox though.

Chupa

Last edited:
Back