So many coyote call choices....and do they even still make a Critt'r Call?

dmr400

Hello everyone, first post to the forum. I grew up as the son of a commercial trapper who then went to work for Wildlife Services (Todays version of the Goverment Trapper). Blew my first Johnny Stewart call before I could walk, and got pretty good with a Crit'r Call. Spent countless days calling with dad...and then...the TEENAGE YEARS STRUCK!! All of a sudden, dad couldn't be right about anything, and those calling days became a chore to be avoided at all cost. I burned out, plain and simple.

Now, fastforward through 10 years or so, a tour in Iraq, and some life perspective and experience, not to mention seeing 12 coyotes in the last 2 weeks from the highway...Time to get back to calling
smile.gif
And wouldn't you know it, the older I get the smarter dad does!

The problem is, I don't have any of my old calls anymore. I don't want to buy mass produced calls from out of the country (After Iraq, I buy products made in the USA almost exclusively now, a challenge with lower end rifles I'm discovering, thank you Savage!) So here is my situation:

o I will be calling coyotes in Eastern Oregon (Harney County).

o I have no problems running any type of call I've ever tried (still an active elk bowhunter so my lips are still in shape). So I'm not intimidated by open reed calls.

o I can spend about $40-50.

Which calls would you reccomend for me? I'm thinking a Howler and an open reed distress call, tuned for the Jackrabbits that are so common here. Never owned a custom call, and most makers don't post prices on their websites so I don't know if this is a viable option or if I need to find a bigger company located in the US to meet my needs. I'll also have a mouse squeaker taped to both my rifle and shotgun for stopping the critters to shoot. Thanks in advance for any replies!

I agree, lots of great call makers here; and all of them will be happy to help you out and talk with you about what you want.

Out of the calls I've used so far, I've been really happy with Bees O'Brien's howlers; and anything from Kerry Carver or Tony Jones. For what you want to spend, you can get a nice cow horn howler from Bees; and a Rubber Rabbit distress from Kerry.

Arden

I'm in Michigan at yellerdog's. I've been here a month cncing all my call part's for the year. I just finished some new Toneboard's they are out standing. In a couple day's I'll be making my RR1version. It's 1/2 inch Tone should be sweet. Watch for my call's in a few week's. Spent alot of money on some great wood's. Can't wait to get back to Washington next weds. Welcome to the site and your service over sea's. We have a great get together coming in Feb. It is in new Mexico. Meet great people and hunt to. Rick

Rick, Tony, Kerry Carver, the list of custom makers who make excellent calls goes on, and on, and on. I have, and use, calls made by many of these makers. I also use a critt'r call standard (still available).
Mark

I can tell you without a doubt you CANNOT go wrong with a Tony Tebbe custom/production call.. They are second to none.. I can attribute over one hundred kills to his line of of calls, and that was in one year of calling.. They are easy to blow, loud, crisp, and extremely unique. The man has it figured out!

Im still yet to find a handcall ill choose over one of tonys open reeds.. And at a reasonable price ( under 20$ ) You really cant go wrong..

Actually, shoot me your address.. I have an extra call I have never used from Tony, Im willing to send it you free. I have a ton of respect for our servicemen and woman.. Im Pretty positive after blowing on it you will be going back to him for more business
smile.gif

That's nice of of you get them close. Hopefully you have another great year. Verminator call's are great also. Good luck. Rick

Totally cool of you Mitch! I have alot of respect for you, young man. I'm going to feel like crap when we beat you at the World Contest this year.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Tony

listen to the guys on here about the calls you cant go wrong but be carful its very addicting you get one custom many are sure to follow lol and that sure was nice get em close...

dmr400,

First...Thank you for your service.
{One of my sons spent 15 months in Iraq (Army), & that made me even more proud of our military than I already was.}

Second...Welcome to Predator Masters. And welcome back into the predator calling community.

Last, but not least...If you will reply to the message I am about to send you, I will send you one of my cow horn howlers. It's the least I can do for all that you've done for the USA.

And yes...Crit'r Calls are still on the market. I see the ads for them all the time in Predator Xtreme magazine.

Last edited:
Wow...gentlemen (and ladies?), the generosity shown here for a brand new member with only 3 posts has been nothing short of Amazing! I think there might be another reason I'm going to enjoy getting back into calling...the people! Looking forward to an opportunity to pay it forward. I've already had a young lady (Sophmore in high school) ask me if I would take her with me and teach her about this coyote calling thing. With what you all have told me as well as another call maker who chose to use private message to offer me some calls, I think I'll be following a tradition I remember from when I was a kid... I was looking down at the first coyote I'd taken when I was handed my first call of my own. Of course, since I don't think call collections should ever get smaller, it looks like I'll have some opportunities to update my own collection as I pass some along
smile.gif

dmr400,

Welcome to PM, I think you'll like it here as everyone is so friendly and the knowledge here is endless!

I don't know if owning one or two predator calls is even possible...
smile.gif

I think in time as you acquire calls you will figure out what you like in style, sound, and functionality. There are lots of great calls available these days, you'll figure out which ones you like to use most.

... and as stated above we like Hero Photos!
thumbup.gif

bootmud

Sorry I have been a way for a while, Just got back to this post.. DMR No problem its the least I can do.

Tony, thanks for the kind words
smile.gif
.. and not so fast about beating us! We have a few tricks up our sleeves
smile.gif
smile.gif

I also appreciate your service to our great country.

Boy, can I relate to getting caught up in other things in my younger years. Should have stuck to huntin' and fishin'.

Send me a pm or your address, I have a few calls I could pass along, including an old Critter Call.

Last edited:
Hello again everyone, and thanks so much for all your kind offers! I got a package of calls in the mail saturday from a member who chose to use PM (You know who you are, and if it's ok with you I'll start singing your praises, some recognition for your good deed and great calls is due!), and finally managed to get out for some late afternoon calling today. Hit three stands with the girlfriend, no coyotes but some mulies did come in to check things out from a distance. And, wouldn't you know it, as we were getting in the truck after the last stand of the night a dens worth of coyotes started singing from the opposite side of the road from where I went calling...hard to understand them, but I think they were saying "You should have went with your first instinct, settled for a crosswind instead of a perfect wind, and came up here". I could be wrong though
wink.gif

I hope everyone understands, but I think I'm more than good on calls for now with what I have and whats on it's way. Maybe those oldies but goodies can find their way to another newbie? Thanks again for the offers, I won't forget this everyone!

I did get the go ahead from the member that sent me the first batch of calls, I would like to publicly thank Larry at LDS Custom Calls for sending me 4 of his calls. The Rabid Rabbit call is my favorite out of the bunch, I think it's going to do some great things when I put it in the right situation! Thanks again Larry!

Back