what coyotes will eat ??

sonofdsouth72

i have heard an read that coyotes will eat melons , pumpkins and apples . so i got to thinking do coyotes eat strawberries and peaches ??? if they do then im coyote heaven then there is alot of strawberry farms near my and home and we have tons of peach orchards around . so my ? is will they all kinds of fruit ? like peaches and strawberries ??

Frank Dobie says, "a Coyote will eat anything it can chew"! LOL. Give it a try. what are you out. Be sure to let us know how you did and provide some pictures also. Good luck.

i might just ride up to closest farm and ask around an see what they tell me ... if they are i can be hunting in less than 5 minutes from the house . i will post what i find out and i will be glad to post some pics if i connect .

They will eat fruit. In the last while, they were chowing down on cactus berries down here, along w/ grasshoppers, mesquite beans, and anything else that's easy.

Seen them eat juniper berries, pecans, watermelon too.

Coyotes are very diverified in their diet. Sometimes it makes the calling hard.

Cold weather and heavy freezes will generally get them responding to distress sounds better, so hope for a good hard freeze!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: rockinbbar
Seen them eat juniper berries, pecans, watermelon too.

Coyotes are very diverified in their diet. Sometimes it makes the calling hard.

Barry, PM me and I'll send you my new "Juniper Berry Distress" and "Pecan/Watermelon Fight" calls for your FoxPro.

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NM_HighPlainsBarry, PM me and I'll send you my new "Juniper Berry Distress" and "Pecan/Watermelon Fight" calls for your FoxPro.

smile.gif

Now that is FUNNY!

Brad

Last edited:
This is why coyotes are such a successful predator and.....animal for that matter. They are not what most would call a specialized predator, meaning they will eat anything given the opportunity. Like the crocadillians who have been around for millions upon millions of years because they don't care what they eat and therefor their food supply never actually dwindles, Other animals like the Cheetah for example are specialized hunters feeding predominantly on Thompsons Gazelle so much that the shape of their mouth is identical to that of the Gazelle's throat. If the Gazelle population goes down then it is very hard on the Cheetah and puts the population in jeopardy. The coyote doesn't have to worry about that because they will just move to another food source.

Chupa

My baitcicles have everything from fried spuds to soup beans and there's nothing left but a greasy spot. They have even ate onions. Doubt they cull anything.

I have seen scat up here with plum seeds in it.It was a working farm given to the state for a mental hospital.Fruit trees everywhere
My friend(gal) thought it was gross how I was inspecting it,no not touching it.
We saw it with a few seeds and hair,then half seeds,then just seeds.
So it had gorged on plums.I would guess any sweet fruit would be attractive.

LOL......When I first joined the CVCA in Southern California this subject came up. It was said that a coyote will eat anything that isn't on fire at the time.

Murray Burnham said you will never starve a coyote. I have to agree. I've found scat piles that consisted of nothing but juniper berries and the chewed up leaves of some kind of succulent and piles of the remains of bright red prickly pears. Years ago we found them in orange groves picking up oranges that fell out of the trees.

But that doesn't mean you'll find them in the strawberry fields. First you have to have coyotes around.

In one of the videos I have there is a clip of one coyote the guy walks up on and it is grazing on juniper berrys off of the tree. The coyote was so busy grazing he didn't even see the guy with that camera walking up to to him 30 yards away. I have seen piles of scat full of juniper berrys in arizona while calling. And one of the coyotes that we shot the stomach contents blew out was full of juniper berries. I have also been told that people who grow watermelons have trouble with coyotes and wild dogs.

Last edited:
Back