Palm Shelf vs No Palm Shelf??

blopez50

So I found an ergo grip that just so happens to be on special for a pretty good price. Now the decisions begin.... Keep in mind that eventually I hope to get my gun painted a "desert tan" color and ive never used a palm shelf (but like the idea and look).

Do I get the black grip thats on sale (no palm shelf but $40 cheaper) or order the desert tan grip with the palm shelf from the company?

I have the DPMS tactical grip with palm shelf and I think it is awesome for hunting and target shooting purposes. I got it instead of the Ergo tactical deluxe because it was only $27. I'm sure the Ergo has more grip but the DPMS is still textured polymer so it's not like it's gonna slip out of your hands or anything! You could find one of those cheap to paint, otherwise the Ergo is very nice (even without the palm shelf it's a sweet pistol grip). They are both formed to fit in your hand very nicely also. I didn't like the Hogue that came on my RRA when I bought it. The finger grooves are nice but the DPMS fits the hand much better. If you decide to go with a palm shelf I would just order it straight rather than just buying the plain black one and having to paint it.

Last edited:
two options. both plausible.
one.
Spend the cash, get the palm shelf version in the color you actually want.

option two.
save some $$$ and get the black one with the knowledge that your hand will cover it most of the time anyway. you can always wrap it in that nonstick camo tape stuff if you despise the color contrast.

(personally i'm glad I have and will likely always get an ERGO Tactical Deluxe w/ palm shelf for anything I plan to use for long range, tactical, or hunting) sbr or spray and pray i'd go for something else.

Here is what your tan grip could look like on a tan gun. Mine is the hard to find/discontinued "Coyote Brown" from Ergo and I painted the shelf to match the weapon.

DSC02349-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: roky0702I have the DPMS tactical grip with palm shelf and I think it is awesome for hunting and target shooting purposes. I got it instead of the Ergo tactical deluxe because it was only $27. I'm sure the Ergo has more grip but the DPMS is still textured polymer so it's not like it's gonna slip out of your hands or anything!

agree, palm shelf just has a nice feel to it- the DPMS is acceptable for the price (and i believe you CAN paint the DPMS version), but once you hold an ERGO with "SUREGRIP" you'll wish you spent the extra $.

far superior grip surface both with and without gloves

I was already spending enough money on my build so in order to still get the exact type of parts I wanted, I chose to get the cheaper model grip as well as a couple other accessories. I won't be using it as often as you nor do I have the money to deck mine out as much as yours...for now at least or until I get another
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: roky0702...for now at least or until I get another
wink.gif

i know what you mean for sure. i put so darn much $$ into mine it made me sick. but i spent the extra coin on my lower because I dont plan to build any other COMPLETE rifles. I will keep my one lower for as much as I can and when the time comes, build uppers that I want. This is a BIG $$ saver in the long run.

If $$ is an issue, by all means...save it. IMO leave the stock grip on for now and pick up something nice later. A nice trigger is way more important than a grip anyway.

Originally Posted By: cbass16

If $$ is an issue, by all means...save it. IMO leave the stock grip on for now and pick up something nice later. A nice trigger is way more important than a grip anyway.

+1 on that. I spent extra money and put a nice barrel and a free float tube on mine. I wish I had started with a trigger. It's the only thing I'm not happy with and probably makes the biggest difference.

looks like a nice one, and the Chip McCormick ones are suppose to be awful nice. (wouldnt know myself)

I took my factory DMPS trigger pack, boxed it up, and sent it to Bill Springfield. For $35 he got it back to me in about a week and turned a 6lb factory trigger into a 3lb crisp clean break with very little travel.

If $$ is tight, the Springfield Trigger job would be my recommendation. You can google that name and find tons of forums backing up his work. He's good people.

Another option is an RRA 2 Stage National Match.
The Timney, Jewell, Geissele triggers are AWESOME, but out of my price range at the time.

as for triggers, the best thing to do would be to go to a gun store or find a buddy and feel the different types of pull that are available if you've never tried them, (2-3 lbs vs 4-5 lbs) and also (single stage vs 2 stage)

Once you find the style of pull you like, then decide what you can affod.

Target shooters like that 2lbs or less...but thats not really safe for hunting IMO.

^ I just sent him an email. For $35 id love to give it a try! If that comes through, ill be in right at $100 for a good trigger and the ergo deluxe tactical with palm shelf... cant beat that IMHO!

I loved the palm shelf for shooting off a bench or sitting shooting ground squirrels, but the dang thing always caught on my coat or front pocket of my pants or hunting pack when carrying it coyote hunting.

OK NEW QUESTION!!!

What am I getting into with the Bill Springfield trigger job. I have never took out an AR trigger and have NO idea how tough this will be... Im not too worried about getting it out, but putting it back together is the part that usually gets me!

Originally Posted By: blopez50^ Ive never bought a trigger... always just used the one that comes with the rifle... after reading this Im thinking that it might be a better investment than the grip at this point..

what do you guys think about this one?
http://www.intlmidway.com/intl/eproductpage.exe/ShowProduct?saleitemid=864051

I have a flat trigger that came with a S&W Doug Koenig 45 and I absolutely love the feel of it... a guy at the range had one of these today and it felt really smooth.

Originally Posted By: blopez50OK NEW QUESTION!!!

What am I getting into with the Bill Springfield trigger job. I have never took out an AR trigger and have NO idea how tough this will be... Im not too worried about getting it out, but putting it back together is the part that usually gets me!

This is why I think it's so important to build you're own lowers. Nothing wrong with buying them built, but knowing how it all goes together will save you $$$ instead of having a gunsmith helping with simple assembly. No sweat though, its not to hard at all.

First step is to loosen or even take off the grip, this is necessary to get the safety out, which is necessary to get the trigger out.

Be careful when you do this and do it slowly because there is a small spring and detent housed inside the top left edge (safety side) of the grip which provides friction on your safety.

Once this is out, your safety will slide out, and your trigger will be accessible.

Next take the trigger pins out slowly while keeping your hand over the whole stuff so you dont send pieces or springs flying, and take the trigger parts out slowly in one piece. put them down on a piece of paper and trace how they go before complete dis-assembly. Then when you get it back you will know what the deal is.

Its really not THAT hard, but its something you want to carefully pay attention to the first time because it all has to be put back together in the same order.

I looked on line and there are some crappy videos, but I will make one monday that will provide more close up views and a step-by-step.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS...watch some YouTube videos on how to assemble a stripped lower.

Back