Remington 722 in 257 Roberts

MOFarmBoy

I recently acquired an old Remington 722 in 257 Roberts from an old family friend. He said he hadn't shot it in over 40 years, and from the looks of it I don't think he's oiled it much since then either. It's got quite a bit of rust on it, including the bolt. What's the best way to work on cleaning up all those rust spots?

I know nothing about 257 Roberts. How does the ballistics compare to a .243, for example?

I assume newer ammo is ok to use in this gun. I'm looking forward to getting it cleaned up and using it for deer or coyotes this fall.

The .257 Roberts is a 7X57 Mauser necked down to 25. The 6mm Remington is a 7X57 Mauser necked down to 6mm. They are all 3 great Deer calibers.

In my opinion the .257 Roberts is about as close to the perfect Deer caliber there is. There is not a Deer in North America that it will not take.

Many people Elk hunt with the .257 every year using 120 grain bullets.

For Deer/Pigs/Antelope I would use 80 to 100 grain bullets.

I would use oil and a rag at first and see what you can get off. If you have to go with a bit of fine steel wool with oil go for it. It may take off some bluing but you do want the rust stopped/gone. Can always get the rifle re-blued.

When hand loaded the 257 Bob come close to the 25/06.
The 257 is loaded lite in factorys load because of some of the older rifle made for it....The 722 come out befor the 700 and is a strong action.....I had one in 30/06 at one time and now I'am wishing I had it back.

Injoy!

MO
You are a lucky man!! The 722 is a great rifle,I have one in .222.Also the .257 Roberts is just a great caliber!! I believe Mr.Roberts invented it for chucks,but it will be great for yotes,deer and stuff as the guys said.Have fun!!!
thumbup.gif

grand ol cartridge in a classic old firearm-imo...if u reload try bullets weights from 75 to 87....i really like the speer 87TNT....but see what works in that barrel...check the throating depth-some the older rifles had a long throat so you mite have to seat bullets out a ways.

as far as removing the rust-depending on its severity-a product called BLUE WONDER has worked well for me.

I have a 257 in a Ruger 77R and love it, I have used bullets anywhere from 75-100grs, I finally settled on the 85gr Nosler. I use mine mainly as a varminter, H414 and IMR-4064 have seemed to work the best for me.

I have a 722 in 257 Roberts, so far the only bullets I have used are an 87 grain, either Hornady or Sierra, or the 117 grain Sierra pro hunter. Both work good, it's a really nice cartridge in a good rifle.

Thanks for the info. I was going to use the cloth and oil, but didn't know about the steel wool for the rust. Will do.

I'm looking forward to putting a scope on it and trying it out when I get time. I don't reload, so I'll probably get some +p ammo out there if its safe to use.

Nothing wrong with +P ammo but in my opinion you do not need it. Get a good quality bullet loaded from a reputable manufacturer in an appropriate bullet weight and sight it in.

I like 85-100 grain bullets for Deer but lighter and heavier may very well work just fine.

For Deer I like the
Sierra GameKing and the Barnes TSX but many others out there are also great.

What condition is the bore in?If there's rust you might try some JB paste on a patch wrapped around a brush to clean that up.Good luck!

i had a 722rem cal 257roberts and i "LOVE IT", is my most accurate and precise rifle, i only use 100grs bullet, could be partition, b. tip, or tsx, i use it on mule deer, coues, coyote, and federal dogs.

some year back i put a new stock and a sako type stractor, and it is better and better every tiem i use it.

remington722customcal25.jpg

By mexicanhunter at 2009-08-22

sonora desert mule deer, one shoot, nosler partition 100grs

sonora14001.jpg

By mexicanhunter at 2010-09-02

sonora13001.jpg

best regards

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.What condition is the bore in?If there's rust you might try some JB paste on a patch wrapped around a brush to clean that up.Good luck!

I'll try that on the bore. It's got just a little rust around the edge and down 1/4 inch in the barrel. The gun is really in pretty decent shape now. I was surprised by how well the gun cleaned up with some steel wool. The bolt even had rust on the top that slicked up real nice.

Originally Posted By: fan300magi had a 722rem cal 257roberts and i "LOVE IT", is my most accurate and precise rifle, i only use 100grs bullet, could be partition, b. tip, or tsx, i use it on mule deer, coues, coyote, and federal dogs.

some year back i put a new stock and a sako type stractor, and it is better and better every tiem i use it.

remington722customcal25.jpg

By mexicanhunter at 2009-08-22

sonora desert mule deer, one shoot, nosler partition 100grs

sonora14001.jpg

sonora13001.jpg

best regards

I really like the looks of that stock. It is my understanding that you can buy a 700 SA stock and do some adjusting around the safety and get a new trigger guard and it will work fine. Is this correct?

Perhaps I should not mess with the stock and just get a new one. The factory stock doesn't fit well for a scope. It seems to hit me more in the chin than in the cheek.

By the way, from the barrel code its a Feb 1951 model.

Originally Posted By: MOFarmBoy[

I really like the looks of that stock. It is my understanding that you can buy a 700 SA stock and do some adjusting around the safety and get a new trigger guard and it will work fine. Is this correct?

Perhaps I should not mess with the stock and just get a new one. The factory stock doesn't fit well for a scope. It seems to hit me more in the chin than in the cheek.

By the way, from the barrel code its a Feb 1951 model.[/quote]

yes a get a remington m700sa BDL 70usd on sale on cabelas and just few modifications is done, and then well beded and it shoots like a dream.

best regards

Back